Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Interesting Result of Lawn Repair
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/14/2018 4:13 PM  
Our association dues include all landscaping and home shell maintenance. Two months ago we send lawn condition violation letters to 29 (of 112) home informing them their lawns did not meet our standards. We asked they re-sod and/or repair. 17 did within 30 days. We send a 2nd letter to the remaining 12 and up the threat to fines and possible liens. 11 more corrected the issue.

Tomorrow we will be sending fining letters ($25 per month) to the remaining 6 but giving them a grace period until 12/01 but they must re-sod. To late in the season to re-seed. I expect 3 or 4 will correct, leaving us with 2 that we will have go after. We believe we know which two already, but time will tell.

All in all, 23 of 29 correcting is a pretty good return.

We are patio homes so few lawns over 500sq feet and in SC one can sod year round. Those that re-sodded seem to be averaging $300 per lawn.
KerryL1
(California)

10/14/2018 4:34 PM  
Not of use for my HOA, but looks very helpful for others, John.

And it's a good reminder that IF your HOA may fine owners for violations, gentle courtesy letters really do get results and so do fines, if needed.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/14/2018 8:43 PM  
So, let me get this straight. Your dues to the HOA cover FOH front of house landscaping and you received an out of compliance letter from the HOA ???

I would send a letter to the HOA and tell them to go fly a kite and tell the vendor to re-sod my lawn.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/15/2018 7:01 AM  
Posted By LetA on 10/14/2018 8:43 PM
So, let me get this straight. Your dues to the HOA cover FOH front of house landscaping and you received an out of compliance letter from the HOA ???

I would send a letter to the HOA and tell them to go fly a kite and tell the vendor to re-sod my lawn.

The main cause of damage was owners not using their sprinkler system to water. When the adjoining lawns look good and yours does not, it is not a landscaping issue. It is something you did or failed to do.

SamE2
(New Jersey)

10/15/2018 8:28 AM  
What does the HOA docs require the homeowner to do regarding landscaping? My thought would be the HOA should repair the landscaping and then fine/charge the homeowner if there is something the were required to do and did not do. This would keep the grass all the same type. Personally I would think watering the lawn is the HOAs responsibility since they are responsible for the lawn/landscape.
TimM11

10/15/2018 9:27 AM  
John, does your HOA not own/control the sprinkler system (i.e. homeowners have to have their own)?

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/15/2018 1:15 PM  
Sam and Tim

The HOA is responsible for maintaining the sprinkler system. Each home has their own control box so they control watering frequency.

I believe we could sod and charge them but I believe those that will not repair as asked would not pay us and probably let it die again. Deadbeats are deadbeats.
TimM11

10/15/2018 2:13 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/15/2018 1:15 PM
Sam and Tim

The HOA is responsible for maintaining the sprinkler system. Each home has their own control box so they control watering frequency.

I believe we could sod and charge them but I believe those that will not repair as asked would not pay us and probably let it die again. Deadbeats are deadbeats.

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind having homeowners control the watering frequency? In mine, the sprinkler system is controlled by our groundskeeping vendor. I guess I am not sure why this would be left up to the homeowners if the system is maintained by the HOA.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/15/2018 5:12 PM  
Posted By TimM11 on 10/15/2018 2:13 PM
Sam and Tim

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind having homeowners control the watering frequency? In mine, the sprinkler system is controlled by our groundskeeping vendor. I guess I am not sure why this would be left up to the homeowners if the system is maintained by the HOA.

Yeah, I'd like to know because we pay for landscaping in out assessments and the landscapers set the watering clocks. The only time I turn the water off is when there is a frost warning.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/15/2018 5:16 PM  

I think it has more to do with potable water conservation considering that many HOA's are getting their butts reamed for sending out lawn violation letters on brown lawns. More owners are choosing to xeriscape their front yards.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/15/2018 5:18 PM  
Posted By TimM11 on 10/15/2018 2:13 PM
Sam and Tim

We have a bit of an oddity. A private water company that buys water from another water company. Our water is horribly expensive. Our HOA water bill for 4 small common areas is $6,000.00. Typically home water bill runs about $70.00 per month MORE when watering the grass.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/15/2018 6:03 PM  
Ever thought of drilling your own well for the common areas for a one time bill of $5,000 to $8,000?
GenoS
(Florida)

10/15/2018 8:44 PM  
Or run a pipe to Lake Mead
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/16/2018 3:43 AM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 10/15/2018 6:03 PM
Ever thought of drilling your own well for the common areas for a one time bill of $5,000 to $8,000?

Never have considered it but I agree, worth looking into as we use no potable (drinkable) water. Thanks.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Interesting Result of Lawn Repair

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement