Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 14, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board vs ACC
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnH57
(Texas)

10/09/2018 10:03 PM  
Can the Board overturn an ACC ruling? We have some homes that are not going through the ACC process for replacing of roofs which is needed. Because of this the Management has sent letters out to the homes. A few of them wrote into the ACC writing up the proper paperwork for the roof being replaced along with the color change yet it still needs to be voted by the committee. I feel 2/3 of the members are just signing off on stuff because one roof color is unlike any in the neighborhood. My fear is that others will be able to fight to have an off color roof reducing the homes values in our community because of this.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

10/10/2018 7:07 AM  
What do your governing documents say?

I've seen many documents that give the Board the authority to overrule an ACC denial if the denied homeowner appeals but I've never seen documents that explicitly give the Board the authority to overrule an approval.

Committees typically serve at the pleasure of the Board and usually have the same goals. If the ACC and Board have wildly different visions as to what are appropriate architectural standards, that's something they should work out.

DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/10/2018 7:31 AM  
I agree with Barbara and will add that under most governing docs once an owner gets a approval that's considered legally binding on the association and if they subsequently attempted to rescind it would probably not end up well if it goes to court.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
AugustinD

10/10/2018 7:49 AM  
Posted By JohnH57 on 10/09/2018 10:03 PM
Can the Board overturn an ACC ruling?

Yes. Furthermore, if an ACC decision either violates a covenant or is inconsistent with longstanding practice of overlooking certain covenants, I believe the Board has a duty to overturn the ACC's decision.
MarkM31
(Washington)

10/10/2018 10:05 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 10/10/2018 7:49 AM

Yes. Furthermore, if an ACC decision either violates a covenant or is inconsistent with longstanding practice of overlooking certain covenants, I believe the Board has a duty to overturn the ACC's decision.

But if the homeowners have already acted in good faith because they recieved ACC approval, overturning that decision could result in monetary damages to the homeowners.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

10/10/2018 12:13 PM  
Posted By MarkM31 on 10/10/2018 10:05 AM
Posted By AugustinD on 10/10/2018 7:49 AM

But if the homeowners have already acted in good faith because they recieved ACC approval, overturning that decision could result in monetary damages to the homeowners.

That brings up another issue. Is the shingle color specified in the documents or is any color approved by the ACC allowed?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/10/2018 12:13 PM  
I’m with Barbara – ultimately the Board is responsible for overseeing the association’s affairs and running it according to what’s written in the Bylaws and CCRs, so it should have final say and be able to overrule an advisory committee, unless the governing documents say otherwise.

The Board should have a charter for all committees, spelling out what they can and cannot do and perhaps the requirements the board will consider when appointing or removing committee members (I prefer people be removed for cause as opposed to “the sky is blue today – let’s get rid of Sue on the ACC because we can!)

It’s ok for some work to be referred to the committee, such as doing an initial review of an exterior request, but it may be best for the committee to issue a recommendation to the board (with an explanation if the recommendation is to deny). The board can then handle any appeals.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/10/2018 2:21 PM  
Most docs I've seen point to the ACC being appointed in some way by the BoD ... so, the ACC serves at the pleasure of the BoD - i.e. the members of the ACC can be removed either singly or en masse.

Not sure it is as clear that the BoD can overrule as specific action of the ACC...may be able to ...
NigelB
(Texas)

10/10/2018 6:38 PM  
Can the Board overturn an ACC ruling? We have some homes that are not going through the ACC process for replacing of roofs which is needed. Because of this the Management has sent letters out to the homes. A few of them wrote into the ACC writing up the proper paperwork for the roof being replaced along with the color change yet it still needs to be voted by the committee. I feel 2/3 of the members are just signing off on stuff because one roof color is unlike any in the neighborhood. My fear is that others will be able to fight to have an off color roof reducing the homes values in our community because of this.

You really have to look at your governing documents. You should also look at the language in any ACC Rules and Regs you have published. Some will state that if the ACC grants a variance from those rules and regs, the variance is not binding on any other requests.

However, as the board appoints the ACC, it seems pretty clear that the board can also overrule any ACC decision that does not conform to the published guidelines. The board should be giving guidance to the ACC.
NigelB
(Texas)

10/10/2018 6:38 PM  

You really have to look at your governing documents. You should also look at the language in any ACC Rules and Regs you have published. Some will state that if the ACC grants a variance from those rules and regs, the variance is not binding on any other requests.

However, as the board appoints the ACC, it seems pretty clear that the board can also overrule any ACC decision that does not conform to the published guidelines. The board should be giving guidance to the ACC.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/11/2018 7:40 AM  
Our Attorney advised us to name the BOD as the ACC thus eliminating any confusion.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

10/11/2018 8:32 AM  
John,

I think that would work in a small community, but the work needs to be spread a bit more in larger communities.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/11/2018 3:01 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/11/2018 7:40 AM
Our Attorney advised us to name the BOD as the ACC thus eliminating any confusion.

If the board wants a say, this is probably the best course of action. A snippet of my association CCRs below suggests that an approval by the ARC is final, and I would certainly expect that anyone who commenced work in good faith after the approval would have a strong legal case if the board tried to subsequently rescind.

5. PROCEDURE BEFORE THE ARC. Prior to the commencement of any
work on the premises contemplated for improvement, an applicant
must submit to the ARC two complete sets of plans and
specifications for any improvement or structure of any kind,
together with such fully executed application form and fees as may
then be required by the ARC and such additional information as
required by this Declaration. No later than fifteen (15) business
days after receipt of said plans and specifications, the ARC shall
respond to the application in writing by approving said
application, or disapproving said application. In the event the
ARC fails to respond within the fifteen (15) day period, the plans
and specifications shall be deemed approved. In the event of
disapproval of plans and/or specifications as submitted, no work
or construction shall be commenced in furtherance of the proposed
improvement, the initial address of the ARC shall be: xxx

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement