Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Property rights
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatrickR3
(Washington)

07/07/2018 7:56 PM  
DOES A HOA HAVE THE RIGHT TO MANDATE WHAT A PROPERTY OWNER CAN BUILD ON THE REAR OF THE HOME. Where can the HOA VIEW PROPERTY FOR RULES
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/07/2018 8:34 PM  
Patrick,

Please refer to your CC&Rs and Articles of Incorporation.

After reading, come back and we can discuss your findings.
KerryL1
(California)

07/07/2018 8:48 PM  
George is right, Patrick. You need to read the documents that you agreed to when you bought your home in your HOA. It IS possible that there are limits & restrictions on what you can put in your backyard. But only your documents can inform you & us.
AugustinD

07/07/2018 8:51 PM  
Posted By PatrickR3 on 07/07/2018 7:56 PM
DOES A HOA HAVE THE RIGHT TO MANDATE WHAT A PROPERTY OWNER CAN BUILD ON THE REAR OF THE HOME. Where can the HOA VIEW PROPERTY FOR RULES

Patrick, it is pretty common for a HOA to have what are known as architectural rules that limit building on the property. As George wrote, you will need to read your HOA's Declaration of Covenants (a.k.a. "Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions" or "CC&Rs") to find out what the HOA can prohibit. Ask your HOA's managers for a copy of these. Alternatively, the CC&Rs should be on file with the county clerk.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/07/2018 10:37 PM  
It is always best to ask permission than forgiveness in a HOA. ALWAYS get your plans approved before proceeding is a rule of thumb. Otherwise, they may be able to take it down at your cost.

It's not just the HOA, the city/county, and even insurance can restrict property use. It's highly unlikely you can build an outhouse now a days in a city. Plus we had an owner put up a small shed in the back of their home. Turns out the insurance company told them it had to be unattached and few inches from the home to be covered. They sent out the fire Marshal to inspect/approve. Why? Because one may store flammable items like wood, paints, or other chemicals in them.

So don't go on a rant about how "Unfair/Unconsitutional" a HOA is in violating your property rights. Sometimes it's common sense and safety that out rules "Property rights".

Former HOA President
PatrickR3
(Washington)

07/09/2018 12:01 PM  
I've looked at the HOAs CC&R and not only are they vague. Several of the CC&Rs are in violation of privacy laws. IE being able to do a full property inspection without permission. Sorry Police cant enter my property without just cause. I want to build a Pagoda and HOA isnt allowing. Me to do so even though there are several on my street.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/09/2018 12:27 PM  
Posted By PatrickR3 on 07/09/2018 12:01 PM
I've looked at the HOAs CC&R and not only are they vague. Several of the CC&Rs are in violation of privacy laws. IE being able to do a full property inspection without permission. Sorry Police cant enter my property without just cause. I want to build a Pagoda and HOA isnt allowing. Me to do so even though there are several on my street.

Though there are several on your street are those that have them members of your HOA? if not, then different rules.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

07/09/2018 3:08 PM  

Here is a link for your State Statutes for HOA’s
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=64.38

You should have a section in your CCR’s which will potentially be noted as something to the effect “Architectural Control Guidelines”. This section is what usually will state type of construction for buildings, fences, sheds, etc. Did you find any such info in your CCR’s? If not you might want to go to your County Records website and search using your HOA’s name to see if other separate documents have been filed.

LOL ... I have seen plenty of documents which will have items violating the laws. Usually put in by a developer who was doing their own CCR’s instead of an attorney and copied from another HOA who also had incorrect info. What your HOA needs to keep in mind is any sections which violate your State Laws or any Federal Laws become essentially “null and void”.
RichardP13
(California)

07/09/2018 7:18 PM  

Get a list of the homes that have the pagodaas and ask the HOA to show you their approvals.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/09/2018 9:08 PM  
Pagoda?
GenoS
(Florida)

07/09/2018 9:11 PM  
Probably means gazebo. I used to work with a guy who constantly confused the two words. Called his a "gaboda".
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

07/09/2018 9:55 PM  
Hmmm ....

This is another strange thread started by a fellow writing in all caps ...
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/10/2018 5:08 AM  
A Pagoda (If it is one) may be quite out of place in some HOA's. It may not fit into it's aesthetics/theme. Our HOA theme was a New England Fishing village. A Pagoda would stick out. The HOA's purpose is to keep the homes ATTRACTIVE to potential buyers. Hence why most are set up with such consistency and unity. Something like a Pagoda may be turned down if it's just NOT part of the aesthetic. A gazebo may be a better choice.

Former HOA President
GenoS
(Florida)

07/10/2018 12:41 PM  
Melissa, did you have written guidelines about what constituted "the look" of a New England fishing village? It sounds like a neat concept. I'm just wondering how many times people got turned down for things that weren't fishing-village-y enough.
KerryL1
(California)

07/10/2018 1:06 PM  
I'm wondering why a NE fishing village in AL?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/10/2018 5:05 PM  
I know right? The muted colors of a New England Fishing village. We had a set of "approved colors" based on that theme. We could not have "White" trim. It had to be an off-white. So no bright colors. Craziest color we had was a purple. Which when first applied was terrible but it faded to a nice plum. Everything else was blue, greens, and yellows. A pagoda would be way out of place and banned.

Former HOA President
RichardP13
(California)

07/10/2018 5:49 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 07/10/2018 5:05 PM
I know right? The muted colors of a New England Fishing village. We had a set of "approved colors" based on that theme. We could not have "White" trim. It had to be an off-white. So no bright colors. Craziest color we had was a purple. Which when first applied was terrible but it faded to a nice plum. Everything else was blue, greens, and yellows. A pagoda would be way out of place and banned.

I don't think the OP is a Buddhist and think what they made be referring to is a pergola, not a pagoda, but then I wouldn't think you would be smart enough to see that.
KerryL1
(California)

07/10/2018 6:00 PM  
Also, Patrick's pergola, pagoda or gazebo sounds like it would be in a rear yard and maybe not even visible from the street?
GlenM4
(Tennessee)

07/11/2018 4:25 AM  
First, Ask the HOA what is required to have a gazebo put up. Maybe you can have one, but what you submitted to them did not meet the requirements. IF they say no to all gazebo, then ask about neighbors.

3rd "IE being able to do a full property inspection without permission." When you bought the house you gave permission by agreeing to the CRs.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

07/11/2018 11:56 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 07/09/2018 7:18 PM

Get a list of the homes that have the pagodaas and ask the HOA to show you their approvals.

Great advice!!!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement