Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 13, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Happy Acres HOA: newly elected president!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
YoungP
(California)

07/07/2018 6:28 AM  
Everyone, please pull up a chair to the campfire and enjoy the latest chapter in the ongoing saga at Happy Acres HOA…

I recently moved to a HOA community and shortly thereafter was elected to the board of directors. Unlike the other board members already there, I had appreciable real estate experience when I first started; I had more than ten years of property management experience and almost another ten years of working for a government housing program.

Almost immediately I discovered the HOA board president viewed his position as his second career/identity. The property manager was incompetent and extremely unprofessional. The extent of involvement of other board members was basically limited to their attendance at board meetings.

The notable issues were lack of compliance with fair housing laws, antiquated governing documents (using the original CC&Rs from the 1970s) and non-existent internal controls.

When I brought my concerns to the board, I was interrupted whenever I spoke, my motives/qualifications were questioned and the debate devolved to discussing my alleged personality flaws rather than the substance of my concerns. At one board meeting, the property manager repeatedly screamed at me, “You’re an ass!”

When I sought and alternative remedy, I was told to either to orchestrate a re-call campaign or find other members to run for the board in order to take it over.

Before the election, I encouraged other members to attend the meetings (the property manager said I was spreading “poison” in the community) and primarily focused on the financial issues of the community. As a result, the property management blamed me for causing too much stress and terminated their service contract with the HOA.

To make a very long story short, I found two like-minded members, conducted an election campaign (where I was threatened by the HOA president with arrest), helped get them elected to the board and was selected as the new HOA president!

Right now, the community is in a transition phase with a new property management company as well as the two new board members. But I’d like to thank everyone for their responses and helpful comments to my previous post.

My current plans are to erect a life-sized statue of myself in the front of the community and change the title of “president” to “Supreme Leader.”
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/07/2018 9:22 AM  
Well make sure the HOA doesn't decide to pass a rule to tear down all statues! LOL! Congrats! BTW: Remember to bring your CC&R's, Articles, and By-laws to every meeting. You may find this a great reference resource...

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

07/07/2018 10:30 AM  
HaHa, YoungP. Kudos getting likeminded folks on the Board with you. This shows that with knowledge and effort, homeowners can and do get rid of rogue boards and lousy MCs.

Hope you have a solid contract with your new MC, YoungP.

I can't remember your HOA's size and board size. Are you good guys now in the majority?
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/07/2018 10:57 AM  

AugustinD

07/07/2018 11:02 AM  
YoungP, congratulations. I just reviewed your June thread: http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/55/view/topic/postid/247674/Default.aspx . I am particularly pleased your HOA's new board replaced the property manager. All told, this must have been a lot of work.
YoungP
(California)

07/07/2018 4:29 PM  
actually the new board did not replace the PM company; the former PM company quit before the election specifically citing me as the reason why they terminated the service contract. apparently insisting on written service contracts and requesting documentation caused too much stress for the PM.

the laundry list of tasks associated with transitioning from one PM to another is a sobering reality, but everyone is excited about the upcoming changes in store.

once again, thank you to everyone for your support and I hope to continue to learn more from everyone who is generous to give their advice on this forum.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

07/07/2018 10:45 PM  
Posted By YoungP on 07/07/2018 6:28 AM
Everyone, please pull up a chair to the campfire and enjoy the latest chapter in the ongoing saga at Happy Acres HOA…

I recently moved to a HOA community and shortly thereafter was elected to the board of directors. Unlike the other board members already there, I had appreciable real estate experience when I first started; I had more than ten years of property management experience and almost another ten years of working for a government housing program.

Almost immediately I discovered the HOA board president viewed his position as his second career/identity. The property manager was incompetent and extremely unprofessional. The extent of involvement of other board members was basically limited to their attendance at board meetings.

The notable issues were lack of compliance with fair housing laws, antiquated governing documents (using the original CC&Rs from the 1970s) and non-existent internal controls.

When I brought my concerns to the board, I was interrupted whenever I spoke, my motives/qualifications were questioned and the debate devolved to discussing my alleged personality flaws rather than the substance of my concerns. At one board meeting, the property manager repeatedly screamed at me, “You’re an ass!”

When I sought and alternative remedy, I was told to either to orchestrate a re-call campaign or find other members to run for the board in order to take it over.

Before the election, I encouraged other members to attend the meetings (the property manager said I was spreading “poison” in the community) and primarily focused on the financial issues of the community. As a result, the property management blamed me for causing too much stress and terminated their service contract with the HOA.

To make a very long story short, I found two like-minded members, conducted an election campaign (where I was threatened by the HOA president with arrest), helped get them elected to the board and was selected as the new HOA president!

Right now, the community is in a transition phase with a new property management company as well as the two new board members. But I’d like to thank everyone for their responses and helpful comments to my previous post.

My current plans are to erect a life-sized statue of myself in the front of the community and change the title of “president” to “Supreme Leader.”

OMG, the drama. How professional of the PM, lol, to be screaming at you! Right away that says to me that he or she was NOT liking their apple cart being turned over and they had to be behaving badly to freak out like that.

I read your other thread, and that is a hoot too. 'State law supersedes Federal Law' in what universe?

Congrats, Supreme Leader :p
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Happy Acres HOA: newly elected president!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement