Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Our HOA Dissolved! HELP! Need new HOA.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichaelV10
(Virginia)

06/29/2018 4:50 PM  
Hi!

Recently our HOA dissolved. We currently have 12 houses in our HOA; and we paid $40/Month. The nearby HOA charges $120/Month and seems to be our only option. Can we find and join another HOA? If so, where would I look to do that? I have done several searches and can’t seem to find anything about an HOA who would take on new houses.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any advice or ideas. We are located in Manassas, VA.

Thank you all so much for your time and ANY help you can provide!!

Best regards,

Mike von Gersdorff
BancsS
(Iowa)

06/29/2018 6:19 PM  
Hi Mike,

My HOA dissolved back in the 1970's and a new one was formed under a new name and a new registered agent. This is Iowa of course. You would need to check the laws of Virginia to see if that is a legal possibility and if you wish to do that. Why was it dissolved? Do you and your neighbors wish to start over or is it something you and your neighbors are not interested in doing? Just throwing that out there as this is what was done in my neighborhood. New bylaws were created at that time but no new covenants. The covenants were already established but have since expired so those are no longer valid.

Just a word of caution though. Mine was a unique situation because of a bankruptcy, a lawsuit, and some conflicts among the board and the members.

Good luck!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/29/2018 6:19 PM  
Explain how your HOA dissolved? Were you under developer control? A HOA is just a club of homeowner's formed to meet the needs of the community. So if you have 12 owners, CC&R's, and Article of Incorporation your an HOA. Decide amongst yourselves what you all want to do.

Former HOA President
BancsS
(Iowa)

06/29/2018 6:24 PM  
Posted By BancsS on 06/29/2018 6:19 PM
Hi Mike,

My HOA dissolved back in the 1970's and a new one was formed under a new name and a new registered agent. This is Iowa of course. You would need to check the laws of Virginia to see if that is a legal possibility and if you wish to do that. Why was it dissolved? Do you and your neighbors wish to start over or is it something you and your neighbors are not interested in doing? Just throwing that out there as this is what was done in my neighborhood. New bylaws were created at that time but no new covenants. The covenants were already established but have since expired so those are no longer valid.

Just a word of caution though. Mine was a unique situation because of a bankruptcy, a lawsuit, and some conflicts among the board and the members.

Good luck!

And new Articles of Incorporation were written up as well. I forgot that part. Melissa's post reminded me of those.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/29/2018 7:38 PM  
Generally the association is formed by the governing documents, often the CCRs or covenants attached to each deed. I'm not sure what you mean by "dissolved", but letting an association go dormant or inactive does not extinguish the covenants, and there are plenty of cases where some owners decide down the road to re-activate an association.

As far as joining another association, this is not as easy as joining a social club. As an example, here is what our CCRs say:
ESTABLISHMENT OF HOMEOWNERS" ASSOCIATION OF XXX, INC.. There shall be established a homeowners' association, hereinafter sometimes referred to as Association, composed of record owners of each lot. The Association shall be the XXX HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION, INC.,

Since the lots are defined by the plat that was filed with the county, and the covenants are attached to each deed, this could not easily be changed to add additional properties to the association. At the least it would probably require the larger HOA to amend their CCRs which typically takes 2/3 or 3/4 of all owners to agree. It would probably also require the assent of 100% of the incoming members. It might also require county approval.

Does your association own common property? What services were provided for the $40/month that you would want to have the larger association take over?

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

06/30/2018 12:37 AM  
What did your $40 per month cover for HOA dues?

Do you have common area property owned by he HOA?

Is your CCR document attached to our property title via your County Records as a mandated HOA or a voluntaty HOA?

If you do not have Common Area Property owned by the HOA why do you not like having the HOA disolved?

As you can see there are many questions you need to answer to get a proper answer to your questions.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Our HOA Dissolved! HELP! Need new HOA.

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement