Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 13, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Getting out the vote!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JenniferG11
(Texas)

06/28/2018 10:17 PM  
What methods have you used to do so? This year, we did not meet quorum. It will cost about $250 to do another mail out, then we have to wait two weeks to do it again, and whatever number of people vote this time (likely even less than the 24% we got the first time) will decide the election.

Not a huge tragedy, but looking to next year, I would like to compile ideas to get people interested.

RichardP13
(California)

06/28/2018 11:12 PM  
Eliminate quorum for the election of directors.

Problem solved!
JenniferG11
(Texas)

06/28/2018 11:35 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/28/2018 11:12 PM

Problem solved!

LOL, well, state law mandates no lower than 10%. Can't eliminate it, but in essence our process eliminates it if it isn't met on the first try. We adjourn the meeting, send out another mailer, and however many people show up or turn in proxies at the second one two weeks later constitutes a quorum.

(PS we would need 51% to amend the by-laws to say the lowest per state law at 10%. That is more trouble and expense than how that plays out, and it's not what we want. We want to get people interested).

RichardP13
(California)

06/28/2018 11:46 PM  
I lived in a HOA with 317 homes. Our quorum requirement was a majority of 159. We could adjourn to a new meeting IF the attorney allowed it) with only 25% or 80. The largest vote count in 10 years was 39 votes, so no ballots were opened for 10 years.

I re-wrote the bylaws, with an attorney's help and got them passed in less than 6 months with 240 affirmative votes.

Set your mind to it and you can do it.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

06/29/2018 12:04 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/28/2018 11:46 PM
I lived in a HOA with 317 homes. Our quorum requirement was a majority of 159. We could adjourn to a new meeting IF the attorney allowed it) with only 25% or 80. The largest vote count in 10 years was 39 votes, so no ballots were opened for 10 years.

I re-wrote the bylaws, with an attorney's help and got them passed in less than 6 months with 240 affirmative votes.

Set your mind to it and you can do it.

Before you changed it, how did you have a board not opening ballots?

RichardP13
(California)

06/29/2018 7:58 AM  
Can't open ballots until quorum is reached.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/29/2018 8:19 AM  
Lack of quorum is a huge time and money issue! "Apathy Thy Name Is Lackaquorum"

Best way I've found is via proxy - and the ease of this depends on the neighborhood, type, size, age demographics, etc. Door to door - hire someone to do it and add into the dues - have a signing party - something that will motivate or punish via dues increases.

Changing Bylaws could be by visiting each property owner ... perhaps even hiring someone to do that so they end up paying for their failure to attend meetings, etc.

RichardP13
(California)

06/29/2018 10:33 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 06/29/2018 8:19 AM
Lack of quorum is a huge time and money issue! "Apathy Thy Name Is Lackaquorum"

Best way I've found is via proxy - and the ease of this depends on the neighborhood, type, size, age demographics, etc. Door to door - hire someone to do it and add into the dues - have a signing party - something that will motivate or punish via dues increases.

Changing Bylaws could be by visiting each property owner ... perhaps even hiring someone to do that so they end up paying for their failure to attend meetings, etc.

If you were running for a political office, is this how you would treat a voter that didn't vote?
AllumW
(Florida)

06/29/2018 10:40 AM  
I walked door to door on 3 different streets to explain we needed representation or they can fill our the proxy form. We also had a Spring Fling with free food and games and they had to fill out the forms to get food tickets.

We were still short by 29.
KerryL1
(California)

06/29/2018 11:10 AM  
CA HOAs have had mail in secret ballots since about '06, so our HOA always has enough votes (quorum is usually 56) of 200+ eligible.

A drawing for a nice dinner for two at a nearby popular restaurant from among all voters might be an incentive. In our HOA, it'd be a drawing from among all outside envelopes (the ballot's in the inside envelope) which have the voters' names on them.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/29/2018 2:26 PM  
Richard,

Apathy is everywhere - while we are all conscious of the need to be politically thoughtful, if there are folks who are so apathetic they endanger the community, I will consider every why possible - carrot or stick.
ArtL1
(Florida)

06/29/2018 4:23 PM  
I went door to door for about 3 months collecting proxies. We made quorum and the election was a land slide

Anyone implemented electronic voting? If so, does it really help with "voter turn-out"?
BancsS
(Iowa)

06/29/2018 6:29 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/28/2018 11:12 PM

Problem solved!

Great solution! Works very well in my HOA.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

06/29/2018 7:25 PM  
Posted By ArtL1 on 06/29/2018 4:23 PM
I went door to door for about 3 months collecting proxies. We made quorum and the election was a land slide

Anyone implemented electronic voting? If so, does it really help with "voter turn-out"?

I come across a lot of 'articles' saying it does, which turn out to be ads for an electronic voting system. One actual article on that laid out the pros and cons and it seems expensive and I don't think it would cure apathy here.

It's already easy - we can simply sign and email to the manager. Give a proxy to a neighbor.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

06/29/2018 7:27 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 06/29/2018 2:26 PM
Richard,

Apathy is everywhere - while we are all conscious of the need to be politically thoughtful, if there are folks who are so apathetic they endanger the community, I will consider every why possible - carrot or stick.

I understand where you are coming from. I personally would favor carrots.

RichardP13
(California)

06/29/2018 11:46 PM  
The closest thing to an HOA election would be municipal elections. I used to live in Los Angeles. 33% of the people would vote for a first time mayor, 14% if they were an incumbent. For City Council, even worse. 16% if they were a new councilperson and 6% if they were an incumbent. For most, these numbers would not come close to reaching quorum, but all the votes get counted.

In an election of over 100 units, reaching a majority generally poses a problem, from my experience, and worst if they don't have a reduction in quorum. High percentage quorums favor the people sitting on the Board up for re-election. Just can just sit pat and do nothing.

First time this ever happened in one of my HOA's. In April we had an election for 97 unit. Number of ballots turned in needed was 49. They received 48 by the time polls closed. 17 people attended the meeting. They had a provision that the people present could vote to adjourn the meeting whereas quorum would be cut in half. We already had that. BUT, the people present voted 10-7 to not adjourn and keep the Board intact. Needless to say, there were some pissed off people. Someone knew the language of the Bylaws and stacked the deck.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Getting out the vote!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement