Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Donation Policy etc....
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KimK5
(Texas)

06/28/2018 10:37 AM  
Looking to see if a HOA can share with me their policy(s)/procedures/guidelines regarding a donation made by a resident (after they passed) that was written into their will regarding making a donation to a specific cause in their HOA Community. Any and all would be greatly appreciated. Do not want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance.
KerryL1
(California)

06/28/2018 11:11 AM  
Welcome to the forum, Kim.

I'm a longtime Board member, but we've never been so lucky as to get a donation such as yours so I have no experience with it. ("Donations" usually are beat up gym equipment.)

I assume you'll need to pay taxes on it? I also assume it should go to the "cause" that the deceased identified. Is that "cause" a budgeted item? I assume that her instructions may not discriminate any persons or social groups in your HOA, e.g., the deceased wants the donation to go to install an adults-only pool

TX law probably can instruct you, but we do have a couple of knowledgeable TX posters who may be able to help.
RichardP13
(California)

06/28/2018 12:07 PM  
The donor would have paid the tax, so the contribution should be tax free.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/28/2018 1:33 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/28/2018 12:07 PM
The donor would have paid the tax, so the contribution should be tax free.

I would think that as non-program income on form 1120-H that it would be taxable to the association even though the donor probably paid the applicable income taxes when the money was earned. Can you clarify how it would be non-taxable in 1120-H?

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
JenniferG11
(Texas)

06/28/2018 11:37 PM  
Posted By KimK5 on 06/28/2018 10:37 AM
Looking to see if a HOA can share with me their policy(s)/procedures/guidelines regarding a donation made by a resident (after they passed) that was written into their will regarding making a donation to a specific cause in their HOA Community. Any and all would be greatly appreciated. Do not want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance.

What is the cause?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/29/2018 4:24 AM  
I would ask this of your accountant what to do with the donation. You all may need to pay taxes on it. Which may be minimal and worth it. For example: They donated a pool table to the clubhouse. The monetary amount it's worth may be subject to taxes. Well that may be like $50. The table is worth $2K. Basically paying $50 for a $2K pool table.

A little confused on a "cause" in a HOA. The money usually goes into the "Pool" of money and then earmarked for a specific purpose. Would need more details.

Former HOA President
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/29/2018 5:24 AM  
Pool table?

New chairs?

Pool?

$100,000 cash?

What was donated matters ...

If something small like a pool table or furniture, I would just accept and say thanks to the heirs. If used, it may not be meaningful in a value.

If something traceable like cash, bonds, equities, etc, I would declare with IRS.
KimK5
(Texas)

06/30/2018 8:21 AM  
Thank you to all that have responded and want to apologize for not replying. We are on the road and was tasked with this just before we left.

I am thinking I may have to have 2 sets of written directives - one for monetary donations and one for material or hard good donations.

I should have mentioned in my initial post that our community is a 55+ Active Adult Community so many residents are at that point where we are deciding what to do and what not to do after our passing.

And when I said "cause" (lacking for a better term) not just to our General Fund unless that is where the donor wants it to go.

We know we will have to have our accountant and attorney look the directive over.

This has not yet occurred in our community and it may never but I believe we need to have something in place in the event it does.

Looking to start somewhere.

Thank you in a advance
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/30/2018 9:22 AM  
Worst case is your looking at paying some taxes on it. How much depends on the price the IRS sets it's worth. Even tangible items have a monetary value. So if you get a kitchen table, it's still going to have a monetary value. The HOA is to be funded by it's dues only. It's not necessarily a non-profit as in a charitable one. Your HOA can also be For-Profit in some cases. Which if that was the case, then that opens up a different set of IRS rules on donations probably.

Good luck!

Former HOA President
KimK5
(Texas)

07/09/2018 7:44 AM  
2nd Request - With all the views on this subject I see that it is a matter worth discussing. I can't believe that there isn't something already out there. I know that it will have to be tweaked to meet our needs. If someone knows where else I can reach out to ie another HOA blog, etc., I will most appreciate it. Thank you so much in advance. Help!
KerryL1
(California)

07/09/2018 8:27 AM  
There probably is more out there about your topic. And maybe you'll get more replies here. But probably good to check with your HOA's CPAs on the tax aspect.
AugustinD

07/09/2018 10:02 AM  
Here are Texas, Oregon and California HOAs (at least one is a volunteer HOA) that solicit donations for certain events. You could contact these and see if a manager or a board member would be willing to talk with you:

http://www.ofha.org/friends-of-oak-forest-park/

http://www.oakhillsoregon.com/4thofjuly.html

http://www.shermanoaks914.com/donate.html

Some other sites that might add just a bit of clarity:

https://newenglandcondo.com/article/qa-voluntary-donations/full

http://www.hoacpa.com/assets/taxes-uod-faq-01.html

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-you-deduct-voluntary-contributions-to-a-homeow-1129558.html

I think my main question would be: If a HOA accepts a donation that the (deceased) donor wants to restrict for a certain use, must it use the donation thusly?
KerryL1
(California)

07/09/2018 1:45 PM  
That was one of my above, too, Augustin: what is the use discriminates against a certain class of resident, e.g., renters or children.
AugustinD

07/09/2018 1:58 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 07/09/2018 1:45 PM
That was one of my above, too, Augustin: what is the use discriminates against a certain class of resident, e.g., renters or children.

I did not even think of a use that would violate federal and state fair housing laws. I think if the use were thusly specified, and I were on the Board, I would motion to return the donation to the estate. If the use went after one of the protected classes, I would also motion to send a firm letter stating the HOA will neither support such discrimination nor do anything unlawful. To minimize conflict and do the right thing. I do not think I would support obtaining an attorney consult. The executor/executrix can tuck it in with the other residual of the estate and divide among the many bequestees, heirs and heiresses?

Maybe it would help to know how much the donation is.
KimK5
(Texas)

07/10/2018 5:13 AM  
I am thinking that if you include disclosures in your guidelines then that is what you would follow. Example - if someone donates all their old furniture to the HOA and the guideline states that the HOA does not except old furniture then you would be covered. Just sayin..... Thoughts?
KerryL1
(California)

07/10/2018 12:29 PM  
In the cases of old furniture or clothes, just give the donator the contact info of the relevant agency who'd accept those items. I wouldn't try to name everything the HOA would not want.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Donation Policy etc....

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement