Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Removeing developer while he owns lots
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GlenM4
(Tennessee)

06/13/2018 6:36 AM  
Hello,

so no idea how normal this is, but wanted to see what others thought.

The HOA was turned over to the community, the developer still owns 2 lots. He said he was going to hold onto those 2 lots cause in the future he wanted to buy the property behind it, and use those 2 lots as an access point to a new phase of houses which would become part of our community.

I started to think that we should remove all the references to the developer in our CCRs, Cause if they do decide to build , I would think the developer would then be back "in charge" and do what ever he wanted to do with the HOA as he would control 99% of the votes.

As of now, there is no house on those lots, he don't pay fees for those lots. (unsure if he should or not). Also when we vote or change things we don't notify him. (unsure if we are suppose to)

Suggestions? or anyone ever dealt with something like this?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/13/2018 10:04 AM  
If you have paperwork showing the association is now being run by the homeowners, they should be able to dictate what happens next, and when it comes to updating the documents, it would be a good idea to delete references to the developer since it isn't running things anymore (less confusing to current and new owners, I think).

I would think the developer would be considered an association member although there isn't anything built on the lots yet - meaning he/she/they should be paying assessments and getting notification of meetings.

If you haven't already done so, you need to start with reading your documents to see what it says regarding who or what is considered an association member and what the members' rights are. Any questions, talk to an attorney - if this ends up becoming a legal issue, the board needs to know what it can and can't do, along with pros and cons of legal action.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/13/2018 11:21 AM  
I agree with Sheila. Most governing docs specify when turnover should occur, often once the developer falls below a certain percentage of ownership or on a given date. I am not aware that any CCRs provide for a return to developer control if the developer acquires/creates more lots. Your CCRs should also explain how dues are assessed and who owes them.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GlenM4
(Tennessee)

06/13/2018 11:46 AM  
The Community has 100% been turned over, but the developer still owns 2 lots, which he is saving for future. The CCRs have alot of items like no amendment to the CCR can be done if the developer still has any lots.

So i guess the question is , is he still considered the "developer" after turning over the HOA.

GlenM4
(Tennessee)

06/13/2018 11:52 AM  
This is pretty much all i can find about the turn over

Assignment. Any or all of the right, powers, titles, easements and estates reserved or given to the developer in this declaration may be assigned to anyone or more persons or entities, who shall agree to assume said rights, powers, duties and obligations. any such assignment shall be made in writing by an appropriate instrument, which the assignee shall join for the purpose of the evidencing its acceptance of such rights, powers, obligations and duties. upon such assignment, the developer shall thereafter be released form all obligations and duties pursuant to this declaration.

So once its turned over to us, he is no longer considered developer?

thanks?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/13/2018 12:05 PM  
Glenn

I would be concerned about the developer holding on to two lots with the stated purpose of punching a road thru them to get access to another potential development.
GlenM4
(Tennessee)

06/13/2018 12:19 PM  
That so much does not bother me, as the new development would be an add on to what we currently have. But I dont want it to "reset" back to developer if he does that.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/13/2018 12:21 PM  
Posted By GlenM4 on 06/13/2018 12:19 PM
That so much does not bother me, as the new development would be an add on to what we currently have. But I dont want it to "reset" back to developer if he does that.

I do not playing lawyer, but once turned over I do not see how it could revert but best you get a legal opinion if your concerned.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

06/13/2018 8:48 PM  
Glenn most of your answers will be found in your CCR’s ... because TN does not have in essence HOA statutes as noted here:

https://hoa-usa.com/statelaws/tn.aspx

For some issues especially regarding developer you might look at your Tennessee Real Estate Statute of Frauds under your State Statutes.

My main question regarding your CCR’s would be did the Developer “reserve” the right to add more property to your HOA ... OR ... Do your CCR’s note how many LOTS / Units your HOA will contain in your CCR’s.

Many states such as mine will require the developer to declare how many units the HOA is to contain and if will be more to declare and disclose such information to buyers and their secured creditors.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Removeing developer while he owns lots

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement