Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 18, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Conflict in R&R
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CatherineS3
(North Carolina)

06/12/2018 9:22 AM  
Our newly created R&R's have been reviewed and approved by our attorney. Two paragraphs under Resolution of Violations have now been questioned by a board member. Par. G in our R&R's states as follows: "In futherance of (NC Planned Community Act) G.S. 47F-3-107, if it is decided that a fine should be imposed, a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100.00) may be imposed for the violation and without further hearing, for each day more than five days after the decision that the violation occurs." Following that, Par. H states: "Enforcement of fines for violations shall be as follows: five (5) days following Master Association final decision, a fine of $15.00 per day will be imposed without further hearing until violation is cured." The board member says there is a contradiction in the dollar amount. The $15.00 penalty was voted on and set as the fine for every violation to avoid accusations of unfairness or selectiveness and the amount is well below the $100 cap in the Planned Community Act. Our committee doesn't see a conflict. Do you?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/12/2018 11:48 AM  
I for one would not put fine amounts in the Covenants as Covenant changes require a membership vote. I would rather see the Covenants refer to the fact that fines are allowed and amounts of fines will be per a BOD set Fining Schedule.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/12/2018 12:27 PM  
John,

I think Catherine was referring to the R&Rs, which are usually related to the CCRs but are not included in them. CCR would refer to the R&Rs, but R&Rs are not actually a physical part of the CCRs.

Catherine - is this the way your CCRs are set up?
RichardP13
(California)

06/12/2018 1:29 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 06/12/2018 12:27 PM
John,

I think Catherine was referring to the R&Rs, which are usually related to the CCRs but are not included in them. CCR would refer to the R&Rs, but R&Rs are not actually a physical part of the CCRs.

Catherine - is this the way your CCRs are set up?

I am going to have a little fun with this.

Associations will generally have 4-5 governing documents when set up. They would be:
1. Articles of Incorporation
2. CCRs
3. Bylaws
4. Condo Plan
5. Rules and Regulations

R&R are always a separately document that are most likely derived with authority from the CCRs. As John alluded to, you don't put fines in the CCRs (harder to add and change), but in the R&R, which are easier to add and change. Generally amended or adding to the CCRs at a minimum of 66 2/3% affirmative vote, whereas R&R require a Board vote.

Now for the fun part, cause I am a little punchy from staying up late watching the Singapore presser. For reference, I was (past tense) a Republican for 45 years. If anyone watched the show from Singapore, how do you think the president would have answered this same question? Remember, he owns condos and has HOA's in those condos.

Good luck!
BenA2
(Texas)

06/12/2018 1:35 PM  
I agree with your committee that there is no conflict. Not to exceed $100 includes everything from $0.01 to $100.
RichardP13
(California)

06/12/2018 1:39 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 06/12/2018 1:35 PM
I agree with your committee that there is no conflict. Not to exceed $100 includes everything from $0.01 to $100.

The fine schedule needs to be refine and be more specific and not in general terms to fly in court.
CatherineS3
(North Carolina)

06/12/2018 2:05 PM  
Yes, George, the two paragraphs I am referring to are in our Rules & Regulations.
CatherineS3
(North Carolina)

06/12/2018 2:26 PM  
We are mostly concerned about whether or not there is a contradiction associated with the dollar amount of the fines and would love to hear some of your opinions which might help to assuage the board member so we won't have to seek our attorney's opinion to quiet him down.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

06/12/2018 3:02 PM  
Posted By CatherineS3 on 06/12/2018 9:22 AM

"In futherance of (NC Planned Community Act) G.S. 47F-3-107,

if it is decided that a fine should be imposed, a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100.00) may be imposed for the violation and without further hearing, for each day more than five days after the decision that the violation occurs."

"Enforcement of fines for violations shall be as follows:

five (5) days following Master Association final decision, a fine of $15.00 per day will be imposed without further hearing until violation is cured."

The board member says there is a contradiction in the dollar amount. The $15.00 penalty was voted on and set as the fine for every violation to avoid accusations of unfairness or selectiveness and the amount is well below the $100 cap in the Planned Community Act. Our committee doesn't see a conflict. Do you?

It is potentially too difficult to determine if conflict with just this section. With just this section I could see a potential conflict due to the “per day” noted in both sections. However, if other text above the section you noted is essentially stating that the State Statutes allows a maximum of $100 per day then possibly would not be conflicting because the later section notes “enforcement”. My personal opinion is it could potentially be better written to avoid any such confusion.
BenA2
(Texas)

06/12/2018 4:16 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/12/2018 1:39 PM
Posted By BenA2 on 06/12/2018 1:35 PM

The fine schedule needs to be refine and be more specific and not in general terms to fly in court.

I wasn't suggesting a range of $100, only that any amount in that range did not conflict with "not to exceed $100." The OP said they set the fine for everything at $15. You cannot get more specific than that.
LetA
(Nevada)

06/13/2018 7:11 AM  
I sm put off that the R&R's clause about fines up to $100 won't need a hearing. Where's the due process?
JoyceR2
(Virginia)

06/14/2018 8:01 PM  
Simply state that fines for violations will be in accordance with the CCR & By-laws (can list sections). Does NC law restrict amount? Do they require (due process) hearings etc. before you can levy a fine?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement