Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Meeting Locations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChristinaB2
(California)

06/10/2018 3:52 PM  
The HOA Management Company stated that meetings must be held in a building, I can not find anything in the Bylaws or CC&R's that substantiate this claim. Any advice they continually conduct this meeting in a different City than we even live, therefore most homeowners can not attend.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/10/2018 4:24 PM  
The MC works for the Board.

The Board signed a contract with the MC.

What are the terms?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/10/2018 4:24 PM  
Why is the MC holding the meetings? They should be attending the board meetings. NOT the other way around. The board is to call the shots. The MC is a hired contractor to the HOA. Seems to me unless it is in the contract with the MC to hold the meetings, I'd have the board set the grounds. It may be time to look for another MC if they are getting in the way of operations.

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

06/10/2018 5:22 PM  
Welcome to the forum, Christine. Are you on the Board? Whether or not you are, your bylaws might say where meetings must be held. Often they'll say on or near the development. If the bylaws are silent, the board decides where meetings are held.

An exception might be that your contract with the Management company (MC) states meetings must be held at their offices. But even then, if your bylaws say on or near your premises, that part of the contract can't be enforced. Even if you're not on the Board, you have a right to review it. Ask for a copy in writing. Email is OK.
RichardP13
(California)

06/10/2018 9:17 PM  
THERE is NO law that says meeting must be held in a building. Many hold them at their park or pool, some at Board members homes.

Can they be held at the MC's office, absolutely, as long as the Board agrees. Many Bylaws will state the Member meeting must be held within the county of the community, but can be held in the principal office of the association, which may be the MC.
ChristinaB2
(California)

06/10/2018 9:47 PM  
Since I am new to the Board I have not seen the MC contract. This is a newer community.
ChristinaB2
(California)

06/10/2018 9:51 PM  
The ByLaws state "All meetings of the Board shall ordinally be held within the Community, unless same is impractical, in which case meetings shall be held as close as reasonable possible to the Community in the Boards discretion"
RichardP13
(California)

06/10/2018 10:16 PM  
You could find a meeting hall in which you might have to pay or use the MC for free.
KimberlyW2
(Tennessee)

06/11/2018 5:24 AM  
We use our public library. They have a meeting room and it is free to use for the community.

If you have a very large ( and enthusiastic group- lucky you ) you could also rent a meeting room at a local hotel.

K.
JerryD5
(Colorado)

06/11/2018 6:32 AM  
We have 4 quarterly board meetings and 1 annual meeting each year. We rotate the location of the quarterly meetings between eateries in the neighborhood. We do so because the meetings are not well attended and we might as well enjoy an adult beverage while we conduct business (and support a local business). We do hold our annual meeting in our MC's office (the company has a work/live home in the neighborhood; she lives upstairs and she works on the main level). We have also had our annual meetings at the library, rented meeting space and the local recreation center meeting space.
KerryL1
(California)

06/11/2018 8:04 AM  
Do you have no meeting area/room in your HOA, Christine? Could a board meeting be held in someone's home? Or exterior common area?

Do read your contract with the MC. Your bylaws say "ordinarily," nearby, so if the MC contract says in their offices, you might be stuck. Also see what hours your PM will meet without charging extra. Ours, for instance, says we can have one meeting a month that extends beyond their normal work hours (5:30), but would have to pay extra if we had two such meetings.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/11/2018 8:30 AM  
Kerry,

I understand your point, but the MC works for the Board - the Board is usually, unless specifically called out in the contract, free to determine when and where ...
KerryL1
(California)

06/11/2018 12:26 PM  
Sorry, Georg, i must have written this badly. I agree with you.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/11/2018 3:40 PM  
Gah ...Kerry ...sorry, I missed the “contract” word in your post.
BenA2
(Texas)

06/11/2018 8:16 PM  
Posted By ChristinaB2 on 06/10/2018 9:51 PM
The ByLaws state "All meetings of the Board shall ordinally be held within the Community, unless same is impractical, in which case meetings shall be held as close as reasonable possible to the Community in the Boards discretion"

It sounds like your management company is violating the bylaws. I would suggest that your board find a suitable location and inform the management company where and when the meeting will be.
RichardP13
(California)

06/11/2018 8:52 PM  
Exactly how us the MC violating the Bylaws?
BenA2
(Texas)

06/11/2018 9:21 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/11/2018 8:52 PM

"All meetings of the Board shall ordinarily be held within the Community, unless same is impractical, in which case meetings shall be held as close as reasonable possible to the Community in the Board's discretion"

The original post says that they conduct meetings in a city that is far enough away that homeowners can't attend. That seems contrary to "within the community" or "as close as reasonably possible." Not to mention the MC apparently is ignoring the part about it being the board's discretion.
RichardP13
(California)

06/11/2018 10:38 PM  
You’re right, what would I know.
KerryL1
(California)

06/12/2018 9:17 AM  
I agree with Ben.
RichardP13
(California)

06/12/2018 9:27 AM  
Posted By BenA2 on 06/11/2018 9:21 PM
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/11/2018 8:52 PM

"All meetings of the Board shall ordinarily be held within the Community, unless same is impractical, in which case meetings shall be held as close as reasonable possible to the Community in the Board's discretion"

The original post says that they conduct meetings in a city that is far enough away that homeowners can't attend. That seems contrary to "within the community" or "as close as reasonably possible." Not to mention the MC apparently is ignoring the part about it being the board's discretion.

I have 4 owners, out of 100 show up at a park for a meeting. Sorry, no showing up when having it at a MC's office is just an excuse!
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/12/2018 11:52 AM  
I would say a meeting location within 5 miles of the community is acceptable. Further away is not within a reasonable distance.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/12/2018 12:30 PM  
Richard,

Why do you always write as if angry?

These are supposed to be interchanges of ideas ... while one of us may be right all the time, it isn't likely. :-)

I don't think I would be a part of a forum like this if it didn't make me feel like I could help someone - or, be helped by someone.

What's up?
RichardP13
(California)

06/12/2018 12:59 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 06/12/2018 12:30 PM
Richard,

Why do you always write as if angry?

These are supposed to be interchanges of ideas ... while one of us may be right all the time, it isn't likely. :-)

I don't think I would be a part of a forum like this if it didn't make me feel like I could help someone - or, be helped by someone.

What's up?

EXCUSE ME?
KerryL1
(California)

06/12/2018 3:45 PM  
Christine's bylaws say meetings are to b within or class as possible to the HOA. Imo, JohnC, 5 miles is too far. Unless they're way out in the country, surely there's silt able venue nearby.

What size is your HOA, Christine? How much room do YOU think meetings need?
KerryL1
(California)

06/12/2018 3:47 PM  
Christine's bylaws say meetings are to b within or class as possible to the HOA. Imo, JohnC, 5 miles is too far. Unless they're way out in the country, surely there's silt able venue nearby.

What size is your HOA, Christine? How much room do YOU think meetings need?
BenA2
(Texas)

06/12/2018 4:09 PM  
I agree it does make a difference where you live. When I lived in Northern Virginia outside of DC, five miles could easily be a 45 minute drive at 6:30 p.m. Where I live now five miles takes about 6 minutes if I get behind a slow driver.
ChristinaB2
(California)

06/12/2018 5:54 PM  
We only have 67 homes in our community. We typically only have about 6-7 home owners attend at the current location. I think we can increase attendance if we have them in the community. I also found out today the MC is paying $100.00 for the off site location per meeting and we have about 4-5 meetings typically per year. We don't need much room we have a basketball court at our park, I think would work fine if we set up chairs there.
RichardP13
(California)

06/12/2018 7:28 PM  
Posted By ChristinaB2 on 06/12/2018 5:54 PM
We only have 67 homes in our community. We typically only have about 6-7 home owners attend at the current location. I think we can increase attendance if we have them in the community. I also found out today the MC is paying $100.00 for the off site location per meeting and we have about 4-5 meetings typically per year. We don't need much room we have a basketball court at our park, I think would work fine if we set up chairs there.

That bis the decision the Board, not the MC needs to make.
KerryL1
(California)

06/12/2018 8:34 PM  
Isn't your HOA paying $100 per offsite meeting venue, Christine? Or is it really the MC paying?

I'm guessing your board is maybe 3-5. Couldn't you be in someone's home or outdoor area?
ChristinaB2
(California)

06/12/2018 9:30 PM  
Yes the HOA is paying the $100. The board consists of 3 members.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/13/2018 10:26 AM  
Our BOD meets at a BOD Members house. We have never had an owner attend a meeting.
LoisL2
(North Carolina)

06/13/2018 10:36 AM  
There is nothing in the laws/code that say where a meeting must be held, but does say that any member has the right to teleconference to the meeting. Make them set that up.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/13/2018 10:51 AM  
Posted By LoisL2 on 06/13/2018 10:36 AM
There is nothing in the laws/code that say where a meeting must be held, but does say that any member has the right to teleconference to the meeting. Make them set that up.

Where does it say that for anyone, nevermind that OP is in CA?
RichardP13
(California)

06/13/2018 11:11 AM  
Posted By LoisL2 on 06/13/2018 10:36 AM

I didn't know pot was legal in North Carolina.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/13/2018 11:50 AM  
Richard - there ya go again ...
RichardP13
(California)

06/13/2018 12:09 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 06/13/2018 11:50 AM
Richard - there ya go again ...

Again, what?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Meeting Locations

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement