Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: We own a pond!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LaurelC1
(South Carolina)

06/10/2018 7:21 AM  
Hi all. I appreciate any insight anyone might have. We just purchased our house in November 2017. We knew that the HOA was involved in legal action related to a small pond adjacent to our property. Apparently the nearby military installation was causing some sort of runoff with excessive siltation. Apparently this pond used to be very nice, with a fountain and everything. Now its a swamp. We recently received a large envelope from the lawyer hired by the HOA. The cover letter basically said “hey bylaws say this is not the HOAs problem since its not a common area but here is what we uncovered....good luck”. He also provided some documentation indicating that we and 6 other property owners are all conjoint owners of the pond. We are not sure what to do about all this. We do have title insurance and have contacted our closing attorney but i was hoping to get some experience/perspective here. Thanks!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/10/2018 10:09 AM  
Sounds like you and the 6 other owners need to get together to discuss options. Your only part owner. Not unlike if you would be in the HOA. Which how many are in the HOA?

Former HOA President
GenoS
(Florida)

06/10/2018 11:11 AM  
"Good luck" is right. Even if you could show the military base had been using the pond as a toxic waste dump for 30 years it would possibly take another 30 years to get the government to clean it up. If it's not a matter of toxic poison, good luck twice because they'll say it's not a priority.
LaurelC1
(South Carolina)

06/10/2018 12:33 PM  
We are all community members in the HOA. Don’t know if anyone is on the board. We will be getting together Wednesday to discuss. Some of the other posts have me nervous. For example being required by law to dredge the pond every few decades. To fix it up I’m sure we are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. We certainly did not sign on for that when we purchased the house.
KerryL1
(California)

06/10/2018 2:47 PM  
Way outside my experience, but if your closing attorney can't help you 7, I'd say all chip in to hire a different attorney to learn exactly what your obligations and rights are.

It'd be interesting to find out just who built a fountain and maintained the pond in the past. The 7 owners? The HOA?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/10/2018 4:06 PM  
Laurel,

You don’t know if anyone is on the board. Any of the other six with ownership rights.

Does you county have a GiS to allow you to look up thand deeds?

Do you have an HOA board ...talked with them to make sure you know the full history? Appointment with the military facility legal officer?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/10/2018 4:08 PM  
Sorry - typos the rule tonight 😀

Once you understand waaaay mood re, contact local newspaper ...contact EPA ...contact Army Corps of Engineers.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/10/2018 4:41 PM  
No need to run to the media on this issue. That just doesn't help anyone. However, I will say that you may want to contact the Army Corps of Engineers and the military base. There could be options there. I happen live near a base here. They have an insurance policy of sorts to cover some things like toxic leakage or damages caused by them. If you suspect toxic chemicals, best to have a water sample taken to the right agency/health department. It can get into the water table and cause issues later. We have an area that a neighborhood is built close to an old nerve agent leak. The army base gives updates and meetings to those residents on a regular basis.

The Army Corps of Engineers may be a good resource to ask because determination of resource. Is it natural? Is it a run-off pond? Are you able to make changes without approval? Do they have assistance program? We had to contact them because we have a natural run off that runs through the edge of the HOA. It floods 2 homes routinely and is nearing the edge of a home. We can't modify it without approval by them. So they may either put you in a bigger hole or dig you out of this one.

Former HOA President
LaurelC1
(South Carolina)

06/10/2018 5:01 PM  
The HOA was involved in exploring legal options against the base before they handed it off, so to speak, to us. We knew that the HOA was having issues when we bought the house but didn’t know that we owned a stake in the pond. It was not on PLAT when we closed on the house. The fact that we own a stake in the pond is news to us. The local installation had some negative press recently when several people died downstream of a dam that broke due to not being updated by the installation. I have no interest in going to the media, just don’t want to get stuck with expensive repairs for a problem that isn’t our fault for a pond we never wanted to own.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/10/2018 5:24 PM  
Get your title insurance company involved. If it wasn't on the plat of your lot then there are potentially problems you absolutely should not be responsible for.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/10/2018 6:23 PM  
I wanted to note... The HOA may have approached the army in the wrong way. It sounds more like they were a bit aggressive and possibly threatening to sue? Don't know the details on how they approached. However, having dealt with the Army and even the Corps, you find there is usually a department available to discuss issues. No need in going in hot headed and guns a blazing.

Once you get with your other 6 owners, maybe discuss the appropriate end result you all want. Do not look at the problem. The end result is it to return the fountain? Is it to find out if it needs dredged? (Which is not all that expensive necessarily). Would you all like to make it available for recreation or wildlife preservation?

Set forth in your journey for an answer by knowing what you want in the end. Your HOA may not have been so defined with the Army. Definition usually works better to get the results.

BTW: Whether it's just you 6 or the whole HOA, you would still be part owner of the pond. It's just divided by 6 rather than if you have 100 members in your HOA. Could have still subject to a special assessment from the HOA to address the issue. It just would have been a bit cheaper and spread out among more members.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

06/10/2018 7:53 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 06/10/2018 6:23 PM

BTW: Whether it's just you 6 or the whole HOA, you would still be part owner of the pond. It's just divided by 6 rather than if you have 100 members in your HOA. Could have still subject to a special assessment from the HOA to address the issue. It just would have been a bit cheaper and spread out among more members.

The biggest difference is that if it is a common area owned by the HOA, there is a board that can make decisions about maintenance. If you are one of six owners there is no problem as long as all six are reasonable people and always agree on the maintenance of the pond. I'm being sarcastic, of course, that will never happen.

Even when two owners share a driveway there can be problems. Six people sharing ownership of a pond sounds like a nightmare. I would contact the title company first and then a lawyer.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/10/2018 8:10 PM  
You can always use the pond to hide the other bodies...

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

06/10/2018 8:30 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 06/10/2018 8:10 PM
You can always use the pond to hide the other bodies...

That is a good idea.
SueW6
(Michigan)

06/11/2018 5:13 AM  
Of course you are going to need the history of the detention pond - was it always there, or created for your subdivision's drainage purposes?

Your local municipality would have a file on all the approved steps that were gone thru for your development, including engineering plans for the drainage, road and water lines, roads, lighting, etc. etc. These plans would have to have been approved before the development could even have been built.

Most likely, the base has been draining its property this way for years and your 100-year plan detention pond is over-lowing and needs to be cleaned. Seems funny that the onus is placed on individual landowner's and not the association.

In any case, it's illegal to flood someone else's property, so the base should be involved in its maintenance if it's overflowing or needs maintenance. Be sure to get a lawyer versed in municipal planning and knows how to read the approved landscape, drainage plans, and topographical issues.
LaurelC1
(South Carolina)

06/11/2018 6:32 AM  
Thank you all for your considered advice. This property actually used to belong to the base several decades ago but has since been purchased privately and developed. Our particular group of houses was apparently bought and sold several times over the years before being developed. I was reviewing the documents that the HOA attorney sent and the argument is that each lot was understood to own 1/7 of the pond and are all equally responsible for maintenance. They included the deeds for each property and some of the deeds explicitly state this in writing, but ours did not. Their argument is that “appurtenances” are stated in the deeds that do not mention the waterway so we should have known. I really hope our title insurance company can help. This is our first experience purchasing property and we went through a bank and had a highly recommended closing attorney and everything. We thought we did everything right 😕
JanetB2
(Colorado)

06/12/2018 2:31 PM  
If this property was not noted in your closing documents and plat ... then your Title Insurance is the entity who needs to duke it out and protect your property rights. They are the entity who did all the title research to insure there were no encumbrances on your property title.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

06/14/2018 5:56 AM  
Hi Laurel,

I wouldn't assume your pond is a toxic waste pond due to silt running into it over a long period to time, can be somewhat normal but accelerated if water runoff is heavier than normal. It's a maintenance matter that the HOA has dropped on six property owners to address. That's all the HOA attorney cared about.

Depending on the size of the pond, you could dredge it to remove the silt and restore the ponds function, fill it in and create space or leave it a "swamp." There isn't a cheap solution.

I'm surprised your closing attorney or the real estate agent didn't know about the co-ownership of the pond but, with careful strategy and investment, you could really enhance your private property.
CjC
(Maryland)

06/14/2018 5:58 AM  
Does the county or state think of this as a storm water management pond?
LaurelC1
(South Carolina)

06/14/2018 6:45 AM  
Posted By CjC on 06/14/2018 5:58 AM
Does the county or state think of this as a storm water management pond?

That's one of the questions I'm hoping that our closing attorney can assist with. From the reading I've done it sounds like their may be legally required maintenance if in fact it is a retention pond. It certainly looks like it hasn't been maintained for a long time but who knows. I think it might be a really nice area but at what cost? It's pretty overrun at this point and I imagine it costing $100K or more to fix.

My biggest concerns are the potential maintenance costs and hassles (like trying to get together 7 different households to agree on something, as someone stated above), and what it might do to the resale value. I don't think we would have bought the house if we knew we were co-owners of a pond. Who wants to deal with that mess?

The meeting with our neighbors has been moved back to next Tuesday due to scheduling conflicts and our attorney has said that the issue is "complicated" and he needs more time to look into it. So we are in a holding pattern.

Thanks again all for your thoughts and advice!
CjC
(Maryland)

06/14/2018 11:06 AM  
Posted By LaurelC1 on 06/14/2018 6:45 AM
Posted By CjC on 06/14/2018 5:58 AM

My biggest concerns are the potential maintenance costs and hassles (like trying to get together 7 different households to agree on something, as someone stated above), and what it might do to the resale value. I don't think we would have bought the house if we knew we were co-owners of a pond. Who wants to deal with that mess?

And speak to your insurance agent. Your homeowners insurance may increase with a pond on the property.
JoyceR2
(Virginia)

06/14/2018 8:13 PM  
Get DEQ & the Army Core of Engineers involved & find the and land records for this property. Who signed to take ownership of this pond? If developer, then who signed to have it transferred?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement