Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 18, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Mulching Lawn Mowers
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RobertW31
(New York)

06/07/2018 11:36 AM  
Hi, President of Townhouse HOA in Upstate NY. We are reviewing bids for new landscaping company. One of the bidders uses mulching mowers which finely chops the grass and puts it back in the lawn. I have read that it is good for the lawns but am concerned about clumping and other problems with this. Previous contractors have either bagged or sucked up the clippings with special equipment. I was looking for feedback on the mulching mowers. Thanks, Bob
SheliaH
(Indiana)

06/07/2018 12:10 PM  
I've heard these mowers chop up the grass extra fine so you don't see very much of it.

You should be asking for references and checking them on all the vendors anyway, and since this can save time and the environment (those bags of clippings have to go somewhere if not in a compost heap), why not ask for a reference where this mower is being used and talk to them about their experience. If you do select this vendor or another with the same equipment, you could do a trial run on a few areas in the community and see how it goes.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/07/2018 2:23 PM  
We don't really do product reviews here.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/07/2018 2:35 PM  
Robert,

Our Contractor mulches the grass.

If the grass is too wet and clumps up, the clumps are raked into a pile and removed by the contractor.

suggest an internet search of to mulch or not to mulch grass for more information so your Board can make an informed decision about what type of process is best for your Association.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

06/07/2018 2:59 PM  
We personally have a mulching mower and have few problems with clumping. I don't know if the landscaping companies around here use mulching blades or regular ones, but none of them that I've ever seen bag or collect clippings, they just leave them.

I think they all have the same motto: "Mow, blow, and go", preferably as quickly as possible.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/07/2018 7:16 PM  
Mulching better for everyone - less waste.

You should get a better price, since there is limited manual labor and haul-away/dump fees.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

06/07/2018 11:25 PM  
In my HOA we are all on 2+ acres of land for our homes. My family during the summer will mow high and our riding lawn mower is set up for mulching during most of the summer. We also mow twice per week to avoid cutting more than potentially 1/3 of the grass blade. If you research you will find that it is best to mulch most of the year as those clippings will then break down and essentially feed nutrients back into the lawn. When it gets close to winter and the last month of mowings we then will bag because the clippings will not break down as easily when colder and you potentially do not want items which do not break down under any snow or excessive moisture as you can potentially then get fungus and other issues.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

06/08/2018 3:24 AM  
Our landscaper uses mulching mowers.

TimM11

06/08/2018 6:46 AM  
Just another "us too" post for the mulching mower use. I've never seen issues with the ones used on our property.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Mulching Lawn Mowers

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement