Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 18, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA bans lawn work on Sundays
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BruceM8
(North Carolina)

05/28/2018 9:37 AM  
Rcently the HOA enacted a rule that bans all type of work/workers (all services) from being performed on Sundays (except in cases of emergency).

Is this legal ???
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

05/28/2018 9:46 AM  
Sheesh - always something weird.

Was this a change to a rule by the Association, by the Board?

Was it in a rule or regulation modification?

What was the vote?

What was the reason? Religious? Noise?
AugustinD

05/28/2018 9:46 AM  
Hi, I have seen Boards impose prohibitions on non-emergency construction and similar work on Sundays. The prohibitions have not been explicit in the CC&Rs but could be said to fall implicitly under the 'preventing nuisances' section of the CC&Rs. I happen to support the rule of no non-emergency construction work on Sundays. I admit I am not sure how strong the legal ground is for such a rule.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

05/28/2018 9:49 AM  
Augustin,

I agree re construction, but this sounded like a slippery slope ...

Could I help pressure wash my house with my professional pressure washing third causing (:-) ex

Can I paint my house? Can I hire my fixit guy to repair a downspout on my gutter system? (non emergency)

Can my yard guy trim and mow grass? (ex: its been raining for two weeks on every day except Sunday ..)
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/28/2018 9:57 AM  
Bruce,

Bottom line is, to find out what is legal or not you need to consult an attorney.

Personally, I think your HOA ban, if challenged in court, would not stand.
Had they simply said no work prior to 9 am (for example) that might have withstood a challenge.

My suggestion, gather others who agree with you that this ban is unrealistic and make your voices known (but have everyone contact the board separately so they know it's not just one person). Recognize that their may have been a good reason for this action but that a different action might be better (the 9 am example).

To gather support, you can make flyers with the issue, the fact you believe it's unrealistic and having no work prior to 9 makes more sense, then include the contact info for others to voice their opinion to the board.
AugustinD

05/28/2018 9:58 AM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 05/28/2018 9:49 AM
Augustin,

I agree re construction, but this sounded like a slippery slope ...

Could I help pressure wash my house with my professional pressure washing third causing (:-) ex

Can I paint my house? Can I hire my fixit guy to repair a downspout on my gutter system? (non emergency)

Can my yard guy trim and mow grass? (ex: its been raining for two weeks on every day except Sunday ..)

George, I read you. I would hope the Board cuts people some slack.

Some years ago I had a neighbor with whom I shared a wall replacing the floors in her 2000 square foot unit. It was not an emergency. She and her partner were paying unlicensed contractors under the table, with the work running from 5 PM to 8 PM and all weekend for three weeks. I was steamed. This is when I wanted the rules enforced.

But I admit to, say, taking out my power drill on Sundays for a half hour or so from time to time. Your points have merit.

Maybe the OP should do what he has to do but also try not to make Sunday construction work a habit. For one, the "free enjoyment of one's property" rule from case law might kick in and protect those who work intermittently on Sundays. Doing such work regularly on Sundays might be closer to crossing the line to being a "nuisance."
BruceM8
(North Carolina)

05/28/2018 10:07 AM  
This is a new community rule for our community.
The community is fully developed, so there is no new construction
The rule was directed at landscapers and remodelers.
The board vote was 4-1 in favor

It reads

1.15 Vendors are excluded from performing work on any part of the property (common and homeowner property) within Independence East on Sundays.
This regulation is inclusive of all workers (including landscapers) except in emergencies."
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/28/2018 11:25 AM  
Ahh, now we see the language.

This keeps contractors out but does not prevent the owner or resident from doing work on Sundays.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

05/28/2018 11:40 AM  
I'm with Tim that a consultation with a lawyer would be in order. It seems to me that this could be challenged on the basis of religious discrimination, it seems to favor some religions over others.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
BruceM8
(North Carolina)

05/28/2018 1:46 PM  
Some are interpreting the word "workers" to include vendors and owners. Thoughts ?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/28/2018 2:13 PM  
I agree with Tim. This is for Contractors not individual homeowners. Now that does exclude situation like a burst pipe where one may need to call a plumber. Do not see where it says that an owner can't perform work. We have a similar rule where no contractor/vendor can do work before 7 am nor after dark. Just for the noise issues.

Former HOA President
BrettH3
(South Carolina)

05/28/2018 2:51 PM  
I’m a biblical Sabbath keeping Christian and have no work done on Saturdays. This rule discriminates against many religions and probably wouldn’t stand up in court.
KerryL1
(California)

05/28/2018 3:20 PM  
The new rule says: "1.15 Vendors are excluded from performing work on any part of the property (common and homeowner property) within xxx xxx on Sundays. This regulation is inclusive of all workers (including landscapers) except in emergencies."

Owners aren't "vendors" so they're included in the rule. But it does seems to even say housekeepers are excluded on Sundays. If they aren't excluded it probably should say "exterior" work. Or does it also mean interior that might be, let's say, a noise nuisance.

Our rules don't permit vendors who do noisy work to be in our elevator building condos on weekends, holidays, before 8am or after 5pm. In 17 years, no owner has taken us to court. Detached homes are different though.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/28/2018 3:36 PM  
Does anyone else see where it says Owner/Member can't do work? It just says Vendor which is a paid contractor. As for being a "Biblical Christian" I've done volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity with plenty of them. They were not allowed to work on Saturdays. However, there is rule that to get a house with Habitat you have to put in "work hours". They have to be done by you or have someone volunteer their hours on your behalf. Much of the work was done on Saturdays. So we would not see the owner most of the time till maybe the late afternoon. Some would pick up a broom but admit their religion prevented them from much more.

So I understand this. However, this rule your quoting does not indicate anything about discrimination of religion. It's just they don't want vendors working on the exterior of the home. Which most contractors do not work weekends anyways. So don't see this as a big deal at all that your making it. If you want to paint your house go for it. Just don't hire a painter to do it on Sunday.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

05/28/2018 3:37 PM  
They can only do it if it is in your Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) or if your CC&Rs give them the authority to make such a rule. Boards often have the authority to make rules as they apply to common areas but rules governing your personal property are governed by the CC&Rs and usually require the approval of the owners to change.
BenA2
(Texas)

05/28/2018 3:40 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 05/28/2018 3:36 PM
Does anyone else see where it says Owner/Member can't do work? It just says Vendor which is a paid contractor. As for being a "Biblical Christian" I've done volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity with plenty of them. They were not allowed to work on Saturdays. However, there is rule that to get a house with Habitat you have to put in "work hours". They have to be done by you or have someone volunteer their hours on your behalf. Much of the work was done on Saturdays. So we would not see the owner most of the time till maybe the late afternoon. Some would pick up a broom but admit their religion prevented them from much more.

So I understand this. However, this rule your quoting does not indicate anything about discrimination of religion. It's just they don't want vendors working on the exterior of the home. Which most contractors do not work weekends anyways. So don't see this as a big deal at all that your making it. If you want to paint your house go for it. Just don't hire a painter to do it on Sunday.

CC&Rs only control owners and their property so, if they can't restrict the the owner working on their own property on Sunday, they cannot control what the owner's contractor does.
BenA2
(Texas)

05/28/2018 3:46 PM  
Posted By BruceM8 on 05/28/2018 10:07 AM
This is a new community rule for our community.
The community is fully developed, so there is no new construction
The rule was directed at landscapers and remodelers.
The board vote was 4-1 in favor

It reads

1.15 Vendors are excluded from performing work on any part of the property (common and homeowner property) within Independence East on Sundays.
This regulation is inclusive of all workers (including landscapers) except in emergencies."

I don't think they can control what you or anyone else does on your own personal property unless it is in the CC&Rs. Condo associations may but not HOAs. This is a general rule so there may be something in your state law or case law that allows them to do it.
RichardP13
(California)

05/28/2018 3:49 PM  
I am curious, if the CCRs, as you say, control the owner and their property, why it can't control an owner and their owner, in this case, on a specific day?
BenA2
(Texas)

05/28/2018 3:54 PM  
The CC&Rs can. It was unclear to me whether they changed the CC&Rs.
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/28/2018 4:44 PM  
Posted By BruceM8 on 05/28/2018 1:46 PM
Some are interpreting the word "workers" to include vendors and owners. Thoughts ?

The language specified vendors. Hence, the workers referred to are the crew of the vendor.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/29/2018 5:44 AM  
Question #1.) Are you in a Condo building or town home community with on-site maintenance and guard gated?

If the answer is yes, then YES it is legal because there are procedures for vendors to follow and be checked in when entering condos and & such, where
only emergency vendors are called out like a plumber or electrician. And typically these on-site workers at condo and town homes are off on Sundays.

And believe it or not, there are a vast amount of people that don't want to hear lawnmowers and weed whackers on Sundays.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

05/29/2018 7:33 AM  
LetA,

Sure there are folks who don't want to hear lawn maintenance on Sunday.

But, gee - what if the owners work six days a week?

C'mon - this needs to at least make sense if it is an HOA (not a Condo).
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/29/2018 8:23 AM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 05/28/2018 3:20 PM

Owners aren't "vendors" so they're included in the rule.

Kerry,

Are you saying the rule applies to owners or was there a typo and that the rules do not apply to owners?
KerryL1
(California)

05/29/2018 12:38 PM  
One, of my many typos, Tim. I meant, of course, that owners aren't included in the prohibitions as they're not vendors.
JaredC
(Texas)

06/08/2018 2:55 PM  
Yeah.. good luck enforcing that one.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA bans lawn work on Sundays

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement