Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 12, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Reserve Study and capital reserve budgets
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TerryK7
(Idaho)

04/28/2018 8:56 AM  
We are a small community with 76 homes. We have a lot of common area, so landscaping is our biggest expense. We do have a pool and a clubhouse. We just took over from the builder and have about 45k to devote to our reserve fund. I'm struggling with the best format and accrual method to save money for our capital expenses. Any advice would be much appreciated
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/28/2018 9:42 AM  
You need a reserve study.

To learn about reserves, see the following thread on this forum:

Subject: Reserve Studies/Funds 101

Some links in the earlier postings may be broken but were corrected in later posts.

KerryL1
(California)

04/28/2018 10:41 AM  
With Tim, I agree you should get a reserves study done by a certified reserves analyst. S/he'll list all of the times (components) your HOA should reserves (save up) for their eventual repair and replacement. The analyst will sliest how long its life is when new (estimated life), how much life that component has left (remaining useful life of RUL) and the estimated cost to repair and replace it.

You may have more components than you think, e.g., sprinkler systems, roads, curbs, exterior lighting of your common areas. You have a clubhouse but the study might estimate for roof repair and then for roof replacement; carpeting replacement will be a separate item; painting the exterior or residing it, a separate component. Why? Because they each have different estimated lives.

Ditto, the pool. It'll need to be resurfaced, it has pumps & motors involved, and may need new pool deck area some day.It has a fence around it. If you have a lot of poolside furniture, it may need to be restrapped in a few years and replaced in several.

So, get a study done and after it, your HOA board might be able to update it itself. The analyst yet will advise you how much to contribute a month so that you can repair and replace these in the future without having to resort to a social assessment.

Those repairs and replacements are not "capital expenses," which are for new things or big upgrades to something you're replacing, e.g., replacing a cheaper clubhouse roof with tiles.

Though a CA attorney's HOA website, visit Davis-stirling com, Main Index, Reserves, to see much info that applies nationally, not just to CA.

SteveB25
(Arizona)

07/03/2019 9:33 PM  
It sounds like you have never had a reserve study performed. For the initial study you should get it performed by someone who is knowledgeable in the task. This does not mean that you need a professional service provider, especially in light that you are a relatively small community. But, because you have a pool / clubhouse, that certainly raises the complexity.

If you are thinking of doing it yourself, which is very doable, you should read up on what goes into the reserve study. The State of California and State of Hawaii have both published excellent guidelines.

http://www.dre.ca.gov/files/pdf/re25.pdf
http://files.hawaii.gov/dcca/reb/condo_ed/condo_gen/condo_bod/condominium-reserves-reference-manual.pdf

Some additional resources are also available here ... http://reservestudyhoa.com/diy.html

The most important thing to get right ... or as close to right as you can get ... is the identification of all the reserve components. As was mentioned, you have a pool so pumps, filters, resurfacing, etc. need to accounted for. You have a clubhouse, so carpeting, roofing, painting, A/C components, etc. need to be accounted for.

Once you have your first reserve study, then updates are much simpler as the reserve components tend to not change.

Good luck,

Steve
GenoS
(Florida)

07/04/2019 1:33 PM  
This place has a really good website about reserve studies including a nice example study. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them. My HOA has never dealt with them. I don't even think they operate in Florida.

One thing an outside Reserve Study will do for you is tell you things you probably don't want to hear. Preparing an in-house pseudo-study won't do that because often a board of directors will pre-determine the outcome it wants to see ("Yeah, don't include the pool in there."). I've been advocating for my HOA in Florida, where reserve studies are not mandatory, to get an outside independent Reserve Study done for 4 years. No luck so far.

With a reserve study such as the sample one above, I think the majority of associations will be lucky to have one or two board members who can even begin to comprehend it. I'd say "vast majority" but my sample size is too small to make that generaliztion. Last year I had a few color copies of the above sample reserve study printed and passed them around to directors and members of our Finance Committee. I said, "Imagine if we had something like this tailored for our community!" I received no feedback from any of them. Zero.
GenoS
(Florida)

07/04/2019 1:33 PM  
Also, I'm sure Terry in Idaho found his answer somewhere already. He asked his question 14 months ago and hasn't posted anything else since then.
SteveB25
(Arizona)

07/04/2019 3:00 PM  
I believe you are correct about an outside study providing information that the Board may not want to hear. I believe, more likely though, is that an outside study -- assuming from a reputable provider -- will be less likely to leave something out.

In our HOA, we had an outside provider do a study and they were dreadful. They did not leave anything of importance out, but they performed the financial computations incorrectly. And ... they made inappropriate recommendations that were just dreadful for our community. I took it upon myself to remedy that and came up with a much better study.

Steve
SteveB25
(Arizona)

07/04/2019 4:08 PM  
One very common shortcoming that I have seen with reserve studies is the omission of the association's annual income statement and the annual operational expenses.

Why do I think this important? Because the association has to meet reserve expenses and the only way they can meet those expenses is by generating income ... typically through annual dues. These annual dues not only generate income for the reserve component replacement / maintenance, but also to meet annual operational expenses.

Why do most reserve studies ignore this? I have no idea? A typical study will recommend that the association contribute to the reserve fund some amount every year. It is an easy manner to also include an amount that must be set aside for operational expenses as well. And, typically, operational expenses will rise pretty much inline with annual inflation.

When we performed our own reserve study, we included all income sources and all expenses. This consisted of annual dues for our income and both operational and reserve expenses. Then we were able to demonstrate that increasing our annual dues each year we should be able to meet all these expenses. Bottom line, the most important thing to convey to the members of the community is that there will be enough funds every year to meet ALL expenses and they want to know what their expected contribution is likely be for each year. You can only do this if you include dues and operational expenses in the report.

Steve
GenoS
(Florida)

07/04/2019 5:20 PM  
I can see how mistakes could happen, especially with the list of components and estimated costs, but where the actual financial calculations are performed - a mechanical process - I'd expect none. Especially if we were paying for it.

I inherited an Excel spreadsheet that had been in use here for years to calculate straight-line (component) reserve requirements. A CPA has been updating it annually until he sold his house and moved. There was a simple error in one of the formulas that had gone unnoticed forever until I became the first "another pair of eyes" to ever look at it. In the big picture it was rather inconsequential, but it was a good example of how even simple things can be overlooked.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Reserve Study and capital reserve budgets

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement