Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, July 22, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Question for Ohio HOA members
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CarrieL1

04/16/2018 4:18 PM  
I'm having lots of trouble finding info on management company responsibilities in Ohio. Specifically what they should be controlling once a board is in place. And if a board is allowed to disband committees out of the blue. (Design, landscaping and finance). Even if you can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated. Thanks
CarrieL1

04/16/2018 4:23 PM  
I do not have the resources to consult an attorney.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

04/16/2018 4:59 PM  
Your governing docs most likely place responsibility for running the association on the elected board. The board can optionally hire an MC to help with duties in fulfilling those responsibilities, but the responsibilities are still the board's.

The MC works for the association at the direction of the board. The MC should do what ever duties that the board contracts with them to do.

None of this is specific to Ohio.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
CarrieL1

04/16/2018 5:06 PM  
Is it normal for a 3 person board to vote and make any and all decisions for the community regarding purchases? Example: President selling his shed to the community, which passed by 100% vote (he is 33% of said vote). Mind you the necessity for a shed is nonexistent.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/16/2018 5:23 PM  
Carrie

Are you sure the President voted in the matter of the shed sale? With 3 person BOD there could have been a Quorum of 2 and the two voted to purchase the shed with the President abstaining. Perfectly acceptable. I would bet that is how it happened.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/16/2018 5:24 PM  
Typically Committees are appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the BOD so yes, a BOD could disband them.
KerryL1
(California)

04/16/2018 5:26 PM  
Re: purchases, read your documents. Generally the Board can purchase anything they feel the HOA needs. For an amazingly similar question about sheds, scroll down to "Lisa's" of a couple of weeks ago.

Douglas gives you a good summery about MC's.

Boards usually have the right to disband committees. Again read your documents, probably your Bylaws in this case. If not there, read your state's corporation codes on the topic of committees.
CarrieL1

04/16/2018 5:30 PM  
I am positive he voted along with the other 2 members. My husband talked to him and verified this.
CarrieL1

04/16/2018 5:31 PM  
Where do I find my state's corporation codes? Thanks
KerryL1
(California)

04/16/2018 6:03 PM  
Even if he hadn't voted with the other two, the motion still would've passed.

are you saying, Carrie, that your Bylaws say nothing about committees? IF not, THEN, find your state's Corporation Codes online.
CarrieL1

04/16/2018 6:21 PM  
I don't know why you people have to be so rude. I have looked at many sites and not found the resource I need.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/16/2018 7:24 PM  
Per the post count, Carrie has resigned from the forum.

I read the replies. I honestly don't see the basis for the "being so rude" comment came from.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/16/2018 7:24 PM  
Posted By CarrieL1 on 04/16/2018 6:21 PM
I don't know why you people have to be so rude. I have looked at many sites and not found the resource I need.

I didn't see anything other than people trying to help you, Carrie. Good bye.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Question for Ohio HOA members

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement