Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 14, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Video Recording Meetings, Part 7/8: The police aren't interested until I mention the video
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BradB7

04/13/2018 5:54 PM  
Video Recording Meetings, Part 7/8: The police aren't interested until I mention the video

I said in Part 1 of this series that recording meetings was the best thing I have ever done as a board member. Having a video came in handy when I was threatened at a board meeting when we had a large turnout of irate residents. I had no idea all these people were coming, and this mob came for blood.

Now before anyone says "Hey board president you need to learn how to control your meetings", I do control my meetings, and if anyone violates our meeting policies I have order restored in about two seconds. At this meeting it was a mob that had come together and was feeding off each other, kind of like a shark feeding frenzy.

At one point during all the yelling, a homeowner stood up and said "Where's the camera! I want to make sure this is on video!" He then faced the camera and proceeded to threaten me in front of a room full of people. No one said anything. Not the other residents, not the board members, not the property manager.

The next day I called the police and reported what happened. I spoke to an officer and told him about the threat made to me. He wasn't interested. I told the officer that the threat was made in front of a room full of people as witnesses. He wasn't interested.

I told the officer that the meeting was recorded and the threat was on video, and I would show it to him if needed.

Now he was interested.

I learned several things from this experience. A group of hostile people doesn't care about being recorded, and neither did the person who made the threat. It was stupid to make a threat in a room full of people, but even stupider that he wanted his threat on camera. That was good for me and the police, and I learned that the police like videos.

I also called our attorney and told her that I'm glad I didn't follow her advice not to record meetings. After that experience I never had a doubt again about recording.

Next:
Part 8/8: What I learned, and why I will always record meetings
AugustinD

04/13/2018 9:29 PM  
Posted By BradB7 on 04/13/2018 5:54 PM
I also called our attorney and told her that I'm glad I didn't follow her advice not to record meetings. After that experience I never had a doubt again about recording.

Who paid the HOA attorney's fee for the time she spent on the phone with you? If the HOA is paying the HOA attorney's bill for you to be on the phone gloating, and you see no problem with this, then I think you are joining your fellow members in the insanity.

Are your own abuses perhaps driving people to make threats against you?
GenoS
(Florida)

04/13/2018 9:48 PM  
I don't see anything wrong with calling the attorney and letting them know that an owner threatened a board member at a meeting, the meeting was recorded on video, and that the police are investigating. Gloating wouldn't be appropriate, no, but as a heads-up I don't see a big problem. Maybe the attorney will advise about ejecting unruly people from meetings, hiring off-duty cops as security, or something along those lines. A mob scene sounds really ugly and dangerous.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/14/2018 3:15 AM  
There is apparently a whole back story about the irate members that wasn't told.

Having had a similar experience of facing a neighborhood of irate members, this was due to cutting down trees, I can understand the concerns of the OP.
MarkM31
(Washington)

04/14/2018 5:43 PM  
Where oh where is 8/8?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Video Recording Meetings, Part 7/8: The police aren't interested until I mention the video

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement