Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA's Attorney
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DorisB6
(Missouri)

04/12/2018 7:48 AM  
The HOA of our Subdivision (Missouri) uses an attorney who is a homeowner (member) of the HOA to represent the HOA against legal actions initiatied by other homeowners. If the attorney represents the HOA, isn't he representing all members and would this not create a conflict?
AugustinD

04/12/2018 8:05 AM  
I think what most competent HOA attorneys would say is that they represent the HOA as a corporation. In some disputes, this comes down to doing as a Board majority wishes. Sometimes this requires rationalizing that doing as the Board majority wishes is in the best interests of the HOA attorney's client, the corporation.

I think the HOA attorney simultaneously being a HOA members is imprudent. But if it is disclosed, then I believe it's probably legally acceptable. The parallel to draw is with a corporation whose stock is publicly traded and so has shareholders. Can a corporation's attorney hold shares of the corporation and also legally represent the corporation? I think most of the time, yes. The net has some discussion about how the most likely conflict of interest is during corporate bankruptcy proceedings. Sometimes a corporate attorney may have to recuse him- or herself, under the Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/12/2018 8:13 AM  
Doris

An association's attorney does not represent each owner. They represent the BOD. They are the BOD's attorney, not yours.

I see potential conflict with an owner also being the BOD's attorney. I would not do it that way.
RichardP13
(California)

04/12/2018 8:44 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 04/12/2018 8:13 AM
Doris

An association's attorney does not represent each owner. They represent the BOD. They are the BOD's attorney, not yours.

I see potential conflict with an owner also being the BOD's attorney. I would not do it that way.

That is not correct. The attorney represents the Association, NOT the BOD. While the BOD is the governing body of the Association, if you look at a letter from an HOA attorney, it will lead by saying, "as you know, this firm represents the Association".

If they get in a legal bind and are being sued, most often they would be represented by the attorney representing the insurance company.
DorisB6
(Missouri)

04/12/2018 9:22 AM  
Thanks for the quick responses. I inadvertently left the impression that I thought the HOA attorney represented each homeowner, individually. My error - we, the majority of the homeowners, whether right or not, believes the attorney should represent the 'best interest' of the members as a whole.

If the attorney represents only the Board, that does not necessarily equate to the best interest of the members. Two Board members have CC&R violations, yet the attorney represents the HOA against other homeowners if a violation occurs. Some of the members are in arrears with their dues, but the Board not wanting to offend anyone, will not pursue collection, even for those members who have a default judgement against them. It causes heartburn that the Board and the attorney seem to be concerned with what is in their best interest.

Thanks again for your thought.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/12/2018 9:31 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 04/12/2018 8:44 AM
Posted By JohnC46 on 04/12/2018 8:13 AM
Doris

That is not correct. The attorney represents the Association, NOT the BOD. While the BOD is the governing body of the Association, if you look at a letter from an HOA attorney, it will lead by saying, "as you know, this firm represents the Association".

If they get in a legal bind and are being sued, most often they would be represented by the attorney representing the insurance company.

Richard is correct. I misspoke.
BrandyJ2
(Florida)

04/12/2018 12:39 PM  
The idea that Association attorneys represent anyone except the people that pay them (The BOD) is delusional.
RichardP13
(California)

04/12/2018 12:49 PM  
Posted By BrandyJ2 on 04/12/2018 12:39 PM
The idea that Association attorneys represent anyone except the people that pay them (The BOD) is delusional.

I think most of us here understand how the bread is buttered.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

04/12/2018 2:14 PM  
In any case the HOA attorney works at the direction of the board, and reports to the board, even if they are working for the association.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/12/2018 2:41 PM  
Posted By DorisB6 on 04/12/2018 7:48 AM

If the attorney represents the HOA, isn't he representing all members and would this not create a conflict?

As has been said, an Attorney representing the HOA, represents the corporate (or unincorporated) entity.
They do not represent the members of the Association.
They represent the Association itself.

Try to think of this differently.
The attorneys of a retail establishment represents the establishment, not the shareholders.
Members of the association are like the shareholders (in this example).
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/12/2018 4:14 PM  
Suing your HOA is suing yourself and your neighbors... The board is elected from it's general membership to represent ALL members. The board hiring the attorney then represents ALL the members/corporation. The HOA attorney does not represent individual members but the whole of them.

Now the member acting as the HOA isn't doing anything wrong. Matter of fact, if the HOA is incorporated it has to hire a lawyer or have a dedicated person to represent them in court. Basically hire a professional or defend yourself in court. Think having the member being a lawyer is kind of helpful.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

04/12/2018 4:33 PM  
Posted By BrandyJ2 on 04/12/2018 12:39 PM

Yes, the attorney usually represents the person or entity that pays. The HOA pays the attorney and the attorney represents the HOA.
BenA2
(Texas)

04/12/2018 4:54 PM  
Posted By DorisB6 on 04/12/2018 9:22 AM
Thanks for the quick responses. I inadvertently left the impression that I thought the HOA attorney represented each homeowner, individually. My error - we, the majority of the homeowners, whether right or not, believes the attorney should represent the 'best interest' of the members as a whole.

If the attorney represents only the Board, that does not necessarily equate to the best interest of the members. Two Board members have CC&R violations, yet the attorney represents the HOA against other homeowners if a violation occurs. Some of the members are in arrears with their dues, but the Board not wanting to offend anyone, will not pursue collection, even for those members who have a default judgement against them. It causes heartburn that the Board and the attorney seem to be concerned with what is in their best interest.

Thanks again for your thought.

I think just about everyone here is in agreement that the attorney represents the Association and not the Board. Coming back to the question of a conflict of interest, I don't think there would be a conflict unless there was an action involving the attorney, in which case she would have to recuse herself.

The attorney's duty is to the association's best interests. That does not conflict with being a member of the association. If it did, every member of the board would also have a conflict since they also have a duty to the association while being association members.

In my experience, attorneys are very careful about conflicts and your HOA attorney probably did some research before taking the position.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/12/2018 6:03 PM  
Ben said:

The attorney's duty is to the association's best interests. That does not conflict with being a member of the association. If it did, every member of the board would also have a conflict since they also have a duty to the association while being association members.

Conflicts can arise while serving on BOD. I have often voted for the greater good of the association when personally I did not like what we were doing. I just hope others do the same or excuse themselves if a conflict.

Example: The HOA attorney/owner is cited for a violation and decides to fight it. Let the conflicts begin.

LawrenceB4
(New Mexico)

04/13/2018 5:35 PM  
I am a member of the Timberlake Land Owners Association in Ramah, New Mexico. The president of the association gave me an evection notice to vacate my property because he claimed I was in violation of the covenants. There was no special board meeting or hearing where I could defend myself. Question: Is that legal?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/13/2018 5:41 PM  
First off it is best not to mention your HOA. 2nd this is better in a new post for us to respond to.

Are you a renter? The HOA can't evict you unless they are your landlord. Otherwise, it's up to your landlord if your a renter. If you are an owner, then they can't evict nor foreclose on you for a violation. You have to be behind in dues.

So there are many questions here. So please make a new post so we can properly respond and without the identifiers...

Former HOA President
KerryL1
(California)

04/13/2018 5:44 PM  
Lawrence, please read the rules and also start a new post
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/16/2018 8:23 PM  
Posted By DorisB6 on 04/12/2018 7:48 AM
The HOA of our Subdivision (Missouri) uses an attorney who is a homeowner (member) of the HOA to represent the HOA against legal actions initiatied by other homeowners. If the attorney represents the HOA, isn't he representing all members and would this not create a conflict?

The attorney cannot represent any issue which may involve the attorney and the attorney’s own HOA property. That then becomes a conflict of interest. As others have noted ... The HOA attorney is supposed to represent ALL Owner’s equally with regards to any issue against the HOA. Yes the BOD chooses the attorney to represent the HOA, but it is not a BOD personal attorney and is an overall HOA “Corporate” attorney. If any BOD member needs an attorney they are responsible for hiring and paying for any such attorney to represent their own personal interests. The HOA attorney paid for via the assessments from all members is responsible for the best interests of all the members equally, not just the BOD.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement