Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Video Recording Meetings, Part 4/8: I get a big surprise
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BradB7

04/11/2018 3:12 PM  
Video Recording Meetings, Part 4/8: I get a big surprise

Our HOA attorney said I could record meetings, but advised me not to do it. I was going to record anyway, and I informed our manager and board members before the meeting that I would be recording for personal use, and that our attorney had approved it.

I brought my video camera, microphone, and a tripod to a meeting. I set the camera up so it can see the residents and the board members. The camera is out in the open, not hidden at all.

Here is what happened with the homeowners: Nothing.

No one cared. No one asked about the camera. No one looked at it. No one was hesitant about speaking up. I have been recording monthly meetings for three years now, and not one person has asked about the video camera, nor has anyone been afraid to speak, and the residents keep showing up and speaking like always.

Not one resident cared about the camera. My fellow board members were a different story.

Next:
Part 5/8: Liars don't like being recorded
AugustinD

04/11/2018 4:14 PM  
I think the two points of view on this matter are both rational:

-- Recording does chill speech. I do not care that the Members do not seem to care. I know how I feel when people record meetings. I think recording tends to thwart the evolution of thoughts and coming to the best decisions.

-- On the other hand, Minutes that publish lies also chill people from speaking freely. If this sort of fifth grade nonsense (and sometimes defamatory statements) were not going on, no one would feel compelled to record meetings.

So of course, the bigger sin here is what is in the Minutes and a President who lets attacks on personalities happen at meetings. A review of Robert's Rules on the conduct of meetings would be helpful. Though it sounds like your HOA is a lost cause for the next few years.

I believe the HOA attorney's comment that what is on the recording may contradict the Minutes, and this could pose problems, is ignorant. I think what the HOA attorney should have done is get the Board to do Minutes that reflect only motions and votes on same, and maybe a super short and dry summary, without editorializing, of what was discussed. Any comment on personalities, any ad hominems, and similar should not go into the Minutes.

What are you doing asking the HOA attorney questions about what you as an individual may and may not do, since you are recording in your capacity as a member and not a director? Do non-Directors have the right to contact the HOA attorney and get answers to questions?

It sounds like your HOA is in bad shape. Maybe the greatest value of this forum is to let people know that the juvenile behavior at one's HOA is common at many HOAs.

DouglasM6
(Arizona)

04/11/2018 4:19 PM  
What's with the 1/8, 4/8, stuff. Can't you just put it in one thread? Or, are we being recorded? Based on the 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 crap, I'm going to stereotype you as a PITA, and move on.

Good luck.
KerryL1
(California)

04/11/2018 4:45 PM  
I agree with Augustine: "I think what the HOA attorney should have done is get the Board to do Minutes that reflect only motions and votes on same, and maybe a super short and dry summary, without editorializing, of what was discussed. Any comment on personalities, any ad hominems, and similar should not go into the Minutes."

this seems to be a theme lately, whereby waaaaay tooooo much is put in hOA meeting minutes.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/11/2018 5:44 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/11/2018 4:45 PM
I agree with Augustine: "I think what the HOA attorney should have done is get the Board to do Minutes that reflect only motions and votes on same, and maybe a super short and dry summary, without editorializing, of what was discussed. Any comment on personalities, any ad hominems, and similar should not go into the Minutes."

this seems to be a theme lately, whereby waaaaay tooooo much is put in hOA meeting minutes.

I agree even when with good intentions. KISS.
BradB7

04/14/2018 6:34 AM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 04/11/2018 4:19 PM
What's with the 1/8, 4/8, stuff. Can't you just put it in one thread? Or, are we being recorded? Based on the 1/8, 2/8, 3/8 crap, I'm going to stereotype you as a PITA, and move on.

Good luck.

Well, the 1/8, 2/8 stuff is to let people know that I am doing a series of 8 posts on a topic that might be of interest to some people, and it is also to let people know that it is being written over a period of days. It also allows them to comment on the subject of each post, just like you did here.

Posts 5-8 contain the greatest writing I have ever typed into a web browser, you will be amazed when you read it! Wait... what... oh you moved on. Never mind.

And not everyone is being recorded, just you. The recording devices are located inside all the electronic equipment in your house. The only way to get rid of them is to dig a hole in your yard, bury all your electronic devices, and cover them with at least two feet of dirt to stop the transmissions.

You don't have to tell me when you have done this, I will already know.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Video Recording Meetings, Part 4/8: I get a big surprise

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement