Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Trees on Common Area Blocking Satellite Dish
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AlexanderY
(California)

04/11/2018 11:41 AM  
Hi all! I've recently run into an issue regarding trees outside of our lot on a common area. These trees have been allowed to grow for who knows how long, and are now an obstruction in the path of our DirecTv Dish, which is rendering it useless. Previously thought it was a weather issue as we have had some storms, but a technician came out and told us it was because of the trees.

This has never been a problem before (3+years), but has now been an issue for at least a few months. I talked to the HOA lady and she said they sent the usual landscapers out, but the trees had grown too high so it was out of their scope, thus requiring a special landscaper which requires Board approval. Unfortunately, the next Board meeting isn't for another month and a half. I think it's unacceptable to have to wait so long for resolution of something that is affecting my quality of life (relaxing after work) as well as wasting money on a service that doesn't work properly. This is what I pay my HOA fees for every month, right?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how I can push them to get this done faster. Do I have legal recourse here?

Thanks in advance for your help!
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

04/11/2018 11:55 AM  
Is relocating the satellite dish an option?

California has some fairly strict rules about HOA boards taking action outside of a meeting. Hopefully a California expert can weigh in. Remember, your board members are volunteers. They have probably scheduled this meeting around their jobs, families, etc. Asking them to drop everything and schedule an emergency meeting so you can watch TV is a bit of an imposition.

AlexanderY
(California)

04/11/2018 12:04 PM  
Thanks for your response. The dish location is already where the HOA says it has to be, on the side of the house, not visible. Would have had the technician move it if it was an option.

I don't expect the board to schedule an emergency meeting, but I expect the Property Management to figure out a way to fix this issue in a timely manner. I mistakenly said I've been in contact with the 'HOA lady'... I should have said the lady from the property management company.

Also, it's an imposition on me that I can't enjoy something I'm paying for through no fault of my own. On top of that, I pay monthly HOA fees for them to deal with stuff like this, right?
LetA
(Nevada)

04/11/2018 12:26 PM  
Typically CC&R's have broad powers to hire a contractor outside of a board meeting and putting it on an agenda to vote on. That power usually extends to
extreme circumstances like an imminent treat to safety, like a fallen branch from a storm or a root is growing parallel to the ground causing a trip hazard. I don't
believe that a tree blocking your satellite signal qualifies. I would contact DTV and ask where the dish could be moved to avoid this in the future and get the input
and approval via an ARC through your community property manager.
RichardP13
(California)

04/11/2018 12:28 PM  
Posted By AlexanderY on 04/11/2018 11:41 AM
Hi all! I've recently run into an issue regarding trees outside of our lot on a common area. These trees have been allowed to grow for who knows how long, and are now an obstruction in the path of our DirecTv Dish, which is rendering it useless. Previously thought it was a weather issue as we have had some storms, but a technician came out and told us it was because of the trees.

This has never been a problem before (3+years), but has now been an issue for at least a few months. I talked to the HOA lady and she said they sent the usual landscapers out, but the trees had grown too high so it was out of their scope, thus requiring a special landscaper which requires Board approval. Unfortunately, the next Board meeting isn't for another month and a half. I think it's unacceptable to have to wait so long for resolution of something that is affecting my quality of life (relaxing after work) as well as wasting money on a service that doesn't work properly. This is what I pay my HOA fees for every month, right?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how I can push them to get this done faster. Do I have legal recourse here?

Your quality of life is affected because you can watch TV through your Direct TV disk? Are you serious.? There is cable, which then would not be affected by the trees, which may only affect your residence.
CjC
(Maryland)

04/11/2018 12:30 PM  
Yes you do pay a fee for them to"deal with stuff like this" but they are willing to deal with it. You just don't like their schedule. If there is a new expense, like trimming the trees, they need to vote to approve. If by law they need a meeting to do this, they will do it at their next scheduled meeting. I hope that enough directors show up and they don't have to postpone it a month.... Are you planning on attending the meeting? You might request that they expand the locations allowed for a dish so that this doesn't happen again in the future (you being without TV due to trees in the way)
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/11/2018 12:32 PM  
Alex
I would think the BOD would grant a waiver to relocate the dish. Have you asked?
AlexanderY
(California)

04/11/2018 12:39 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 04/11/2018 12:28 PM

Your quality of life is affected because you can watch TV through your Direct TV disk? Are you serious.? There is cable, which then would not be affected by the trees, which may only affect your residence.

Yes, Dick, my quality of life is effected because I am unable to relax and watch TV after a long day of work. We have had the satellite dish for over 3 years without any issues. Are you suggesting that the HOA/property management should let the trees grow forever without any landscaping?

Posted By CjC on 04/11/2018 12:30 PM
Yes you do pay a fee for them to"deal with stuff like this" but they are willing to deal with it. You just don't like their schedule. If there is a new expense, like trimming the trees, they need to vote to approve. If by law they need a meeting to do this, they will do it at their next scheduled meeting. I hope that enough directors show up and they don't have to postpone it a month.... Are you planning on attending the meeting? You might request that they expand the locations allowed for a dish so that this doesn't happen again in the future (you being without TV due to trees in the way)

Posted By JohnC46 on 04/11/2018 12:32 PM
Alex
I would think the BOD would grant a waiver to relocate the dish. Have you asked?

Thank you to both of you for helpful advice. I will try to get approval to relocate the dish, at least until they are able to deal with the trees.

KerryL1
(California)

04/11/2018 12:51 PM  
Your property manager, Alexander, probably does not have the authority to deal with your issue---probably only the board does. So you need to write to the Board to make sure your problem gets on the next regular meeting agenda.

You could ask if the board is willing to have a "special meeting of the board" for your issue. They, however, very well may not want to schedule one. Even at the next regular open meeting, the board may, if you're lucky, instruct the PM to get bids to top the trees. But all of this will take time.

I truly don't think you have any legal recourse.
RichardP13
(California)

04/11/2018 1:20 PM  
Posted By AlexanderY on 04/11/2018 12:39 PM

Yes, Dick, my quality of life is effected because I am unable to relax and watch TV after a long day of work. We have had the satellite dish for over 3 years without any issues. Are you suggesting that the HOA/property management should let the trees grow forever without any landscaping?

Alex

Thank you to both of you for helpful advice. I will try to get approval to relocate the dish, at least until they are able to deal with the trees.

Dick??? Really

AlexanderY
(California)

04/11/2018 1:29 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/11/2018 12:51 PM
Your property manager, Alexander, probably does not have the authority to deal with your issue---probably only the board does. So you need to write to the Board to make sure your problem gets on the next regular meeting agenda.

You could ask if the board is willing to have a "special meeting of the board" for your issue. They, however, very well may not want to schedule one. Even at the next regular open meeting, the board may, if you're lucky, instruct the PM to get bids to top the trees. But all of this will take time.

I truly don't think you have any legal recourse.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

Posted By RichardP13 on 04/11/2018 1:20 PM
Posted By AlexanderY on 04/11/2018 12:39 PM

Alex

Dick??? Really

Yes, Dick. Isn't that short for Richard?
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/11/2018 1:37 PM  
You can not force the Association to prune or remove common area trees due to blockage of satellite signal. This would be the same if it was your neighbors tree was blocking.

You can move your dish or investigate a different service.
RichardP13
(California)

04/11/2018 1:53 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/11/2018 1:37 PM
You can not force the Association to prune or remove common area trees due to blockage of satellite signal. This would be the same if it was your neighbors tree was blocking.

You can move your dish or investigate a different service.

Hope there is no nickname for Tim
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/11/2018 2:54 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 04/11/2018 1:53 PM

Hope there is no nickname for Tim

Depends who you ask
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

04/11/2018 3:00 PM  
I would also add, if the issue is timeliness, seeking legal recourse is definitely the wrong course to pursue.

If you have an attorney send a letter, then the Association has to have their attorney respond, and now the whole conversation has to happen between the attorneys instead of between you and the board, and the entire process will take longer.

Your best bet for a timely resolution is to write to your board and politely explain the situation, and request that either tree trimming or a variance for your satellite dish placement be on the next meeting agenda.

I know it can seem like there are too many hoops to jump through, but the legislation that limits what a board can do outside of a meeting came about for a reason.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/11/2018 3:46 PM  
Nothing moves fast in a HOA. Your lucky they are putting it on the schedule at all. Plus even if they approve the work to be done, it's going to take quite awhile more to get bids. That process and the work itself can take months IF the HOA has the money.

Now as for the trees being the source of your blockage of signal... I am highly doubting that. It's probably more like your dish needs to be recalibrated to the satellite. Plus DirectTV isn't known for it's great reception.

Knowing something about electronics... Satellite dishes don't necessarily work like if your remote control on your TV if something is put in front of the receiver. It's wireless signal. A tree is not blocking that signal. It's more like your satellite dish is not focused correctly. Call the Tech and see if it can be adjusted.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/11/2018 6:33 PM  
Posted By BarbaraT1 on 04/11/2018 3:00 PM

and request that either tree trimming or a variance for your satellite dish placement be on the next meeting agenda.

Per FCC regulations, no waiver is necessary. If an acceptable signal isn't available, the mount can be where signal is available providing the mount is not on common area and does not obstruct passage through the common area (sidewalks for example).
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/11/2018 6:43 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 04/11/2018 3:46 PM

Now as for the trees being the source of your blockage of signal... I am highly doubting that.

Knowing something about electronics... Satellite dishes don't necessarily work like if your remote control on your TV if something is put in front of the receiver. It's wireless signal. A tree is not blocking that signal.

Melissa,

I am a broadcast engineer.

Trees do block satellite signals.
So does rain.
Satellite transmission requires line of sight.

In fact, you could have good reception in the winter when the leaves have fallen and bad or no reception in the spring when the leaves are on the trees.

Heck, we even had a crane block a micro wave path for awhile.

Yes, it is possible that a wind storm moved the dish off the bird or a new bird was moved near but not in place of the old bird. (bird being the satellite). However, it's also possible the trees finally grew tall enough to be an issue.

See:

Satellite Technologies

Less technical version:

How Satellite TV Works
GenoS
(Florida)

04/11/2018 9:36 PM  
Do I have legal recourse here?

You may have. Post your question in the "sticky" thread at the top of the forum here named, "ASK THE EXPERT: Satellite dish placement in HOAs and condos".

Since the FCC regulates this via their OTARD rulings, the HOA's restrictions are possibly un-enforceable. As long as it's positioned on property that YOU own, an HOA or condo association cannot tell you where to put it or even require you to obtain permission in advance. You can't put it on common property, of course, but I also believe if the tree on common property was blocking the only line-of-sight acceptable signal that you'd be out of luck.

In short, with respect to satellite dishes, you can do what you want on your property but you have no recourse to compel anyone else to do anything on their property.

You should definitely post in that ASK THE EXPERT thread. The satellite industry has hired pit bull attorneys that are often willing to go to bat for satellite dish owners who are dealing with recalcitrant HOAs that refuse to abide by the Federal regulations. Don't quote me on this but I think they'll do it with no cost to you IF they think you have a good case.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/22/2018 9:22 AM  
Geno’s on point.

I’d do a quick, nice letter framing the issue, the. Note there are a couple of colutions:
1. Immediate tree trimming by HOA to restore your service. I would note this would be required every few years as tree growth continues. In other words, this is not the best semi-permanent solution.
2. Immediate approval to move your sat antenna to a location that would generally ensure longer term separation from tree growth. I would provide some references to the OTARD topic, including citations where the HOA lost in court.

I would ask for either email consideration and approval by the Board, or a special meeting - the trees, common property, are diminishing your quality of life.

Offer the Board an easy out ....
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/22/2018 9:39 AM  
Again, approval isn't needed to move the dish.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/22/2018 10:19 AM  
Tim,

I agree, but asking and working with the Board is usually easier than just doing something.

Remember, the Board could still sue the OP for moving it, but would likely lose ...OP might, depending on state, still end up paying for the defense ...
BenA2
(Texas)

04/22/2018 2:43 PM  
Am I the only one who thinks it is asking a lot for the HOA to crop these trees because they block a satellite signal? Don't get me wrong, I would hope that the HOA would work with you by granting a variance to move the dish but it sounds like the trees were already there when you installed the dish and I don't think preventing trees from growing is a normal process.

I know in some areas of the country it is difficult for utility companies to trim trees to prevent them from interfering with power lines because people object so much. I can imagine the board running into that problem, not to mention other owners being upset over spending their money for this purpose.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/22/2018 3:16 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 04/22/2018 2:43 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it is asking a lot for the HOA to crop these trees because they block a satellite signal?

Nope. I agree with you 100%.

KerryL1
(California)

04/22/2018 3:22 PM  
I'm with Ben & Tim. To ask all owners to pay $$ for tree trimming to serve one owner's ability to relax is unreasonable, perhaps even--to be blunt--selfish. Move it.
AlexanderY
(California)

04/22/2018 3:28 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/22/2018 3:22 PM
I'm with Ben & Tim. To ask all owners to pay $$ for tree trimming to serve one owner's ability to relax is unreasonable, perhaps even--to be blunt--selfish. Move it.

Selfish? Get off your high horse. The dish is located where the HOA told us was the only place we could put it to begin with!

And this hasn't been a problem for years - I would expect tree trimming to be done at least ONCE or TWICE during that time, wouldn't you?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/22/2018 3:45 PM  
Alexander,

Ya got pretty nasty pretty quickly ...this is a just discussion, ya know.

And, people are offering you advice to your question.

I would recommend being nicer to your Board - they may be trying to help, too.

Free advice. 😀
AlexanderY
(California)

04/22/2018 4:06 PM  
Posted By GeorgeS21 on 04/22/2018 3:45 PM
Alexander,

Ya got pretty nasty pretty quickly ...this is a just discussion, ya know.

And, people are offering you advice to your question.

I would recommend being nicer to your Board - they may be trying to help, too.

Free advice. 😀

I think I've been nice and appreciative of the helpful responses here, but that last post didn't offer any info at all other than to call me 'selfish' for following the HOA rules to begin with.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

04/22/2018 4:52 PM  
OK - I’m out of this one.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/23/2018 1:06 AM  
Posted By AlexanderY on 04/22/2018 4:06 PM
I think I've been nice and appreciative of the helpful responses here, but that last post didn't offer any info at all other than to call me 'selfish' for following the HOA rules to begin with.

I strongly suggest that you post your problem in the ASK THE EXPERT thread.

You do not have to listen to the HOA when they tell you where you may put the dish. Federal regulations preempt the HOA's rules and regulations. They cannot even require you to ask for permission ahead of time. If you own the property you can put a dish up wherever your heart desires.

If you're addicted to television, like 99.9% of Americans are, then it might serve your interests to work with your BOD to come to some sort of accommodation with the main goal being to get your idiot-tube fix flowing again as soon as possible.

If the association tries to take action against you, you can fight it in court (or whatever the CA dispute process involves) and YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY WIN and be able to recoup all your legal costs and attorney fees.

However, you have no right to expect them to remove any obstacles, like tree branches, that are obstructing your dish's line-of-sight to the satellite. Move the dish and tell them to stick their objections where the sun don't shine. Wave the FCC's OTARD regulation in their faces. Your choice. Post in the ASK THE EXPERT thread. The broadcast satellite industry pays people to monitor that thread and they will help you.

We have a board member bound and determined to violate a homeowner who has a dish on his roof. I keep telling him we can't do that. I've showed him the OTARD regulation. It goes in one eye and out the other. He still thinks the owner has to comply with our "no dishes on the roof" rule. I keep telling him "no". He doesn't listen.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, I suppose.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/23/2018 1:14 AM  
I do hate the no-editing "feature" of this forum...... I forgot to say that if you do mount a legal defense against the HOA's insistence that you have to abide by their dish-placement rules, despite your slam-dunk chances of winning, that course of action will take time. Months or even a year or more, so the option to cave in or work with the association is a viable option depending on your priorities. What's more important to you: standing up for your OTARD rights or getting your TV signal back ASAP? My opinion, un-scientific though it may be, is that most people value watching TV more than they do their rights.

Good luck.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

04/23/2018 8:13 AM  
I would doubt the HOA will incur the expense of removing trees to clear the sight-line of a satellite dish.

If trimming is an option, I'd recommend the homeowner, under HOA board oversight, cover the cost of a tree trimming. Letting trees naturally grow is not a symptom of neglectful landscaping management.
KerryL1
(California)

04/23/2018 10:05 AM  
Good idea, Kelly.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/23/2018 2:21 PM  
Posted By KellyM3 on 04/23/2018 8:13 AM
I would doubt the HOA will incur the expense of removing trees to clear the sight-line of a satellite dish.

If trimming is an option, I'd recommend the homeowner, under HOA board oversight, cover the cost of a tree trimming. Letting trees naturally grow is not a symptom of neglectful landscaping management.

This is a slippery slope. My HOA started doing this 20 years ago and that policy has devolved to the point that most requests for approval for landscaping changes result in a "we can't afford that but if you want to pay for it we'll allow it" response. All our landscaping is on common property and it's the obligation of the association to maintain it.

We're re-doing about 6 concrete driveways next month. All are common property. One owner wants his done, too, but he's not on the list. He offered to pay for the work on his out of his own pocket. If we allow that then within a few years half of the homeowners will want to do the same thing and pay for new driveways themselves. The other half will be clamoring for new driveways, too, and the response will be, "Why don't you do it and pay for it yourself? All these other owners did it that way!"

I'm not OK with that course of action. All of our driveways are on common property and the CC&Rs require the HOA to maintain, repair and replace the driveways. Letting the camel get his nose under the tent is a surefire recipe for the association to start excusing itself from its responsibilities in the future. It will lead to 2 classes of owners: those who can afford to pay for the maintenance that the HOA claims it cannot afford, and those who can't. Those who can't agreed to the same CC&Rs as everyone else.
KerryL1
(California)

04/23/2018 3:04 PM  
I see your point, Geno. but the requirement for the HOA maintain the landscaping might not include topping trees for the pleasure of one or a few owners.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

04/23/2018 4:37 PM  
First see if you can get the dish company to move the disk. That would be my first option. If that doesn't work out, let the HOA know that the trees are blocking the reception and you will be seeking reimbursement for the months that your signal has been blocked. That's assuming the tree trimming is their responsibility and they told you where to place the dish. Ask that they call a special meeting or possibly do an Action without Meeting through texts and emails. Document everything.

I'm with you. The TV is part of enjoying my life. There's a weather girl that is better than coffee at getting me going in the morning!

Good Luck!
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

04/24/2018 5:28 AM  
Geno,

The HOA is under ZERO obligation to top any trees to allow a satellite dish's reception for a single homeowner. There isn't a slippery slope. The strategy I recommend fully involves the HOA and doesn't allow any shirking of HOA responsibility at all.

The rule "by the book" means to simply deny the request and move on. The issue here is to offer a common sense solution, which this ad hoc, specialized request would be.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Trees on Common Area Blocking Satellite Dish

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement