Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, April 22, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Landscaping - Trees
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LawrenceN
(Florida)

04/11/2018 5:21 AM  
Hiya,

Our community is HOA run and our fees include lawn and landscaping maintenance. We have a tree on our lot which has got huge over the last couple of years. I know for a fact it has been trimmed in the past but clearly that hasn't happened recently and I've had this confirmed by the owner of the currently contracted landscaping company. I've asked the HOA/management company why this is the case and they have said that trees are owners responsibility and that there is nothing in the sub-division documents which state that they have to maintain any trees at all. I've checked the documents and that seems true as it does state that "they have the right but not the obligation, to assume and perform any and all functions relating to maintaining the lawns and landscaping on the lots and common areas. To the extent the Neighbourhood Association elects to undertake and of these functions, all related costs shall be assessed against owners as part of their annual assessment'.

The thing is that the contract with the landscaping company includes trimming palms twice a year but makes no mention of trees. This to me seems to be discriminating between owners that have trees and those that have palms. When I mentioned this the response from the HOA was "We can stop doing the palms or alternatively at the next contract review we can look at including trees but that would put the fees up substantially for everyone not just the homes with trees." I don't believe that fees would increase substantially as there are very few trees on the resort and they are already paying for 10 days lift rental to get to the high palm branches anyway. They then went on to say that "The fronds of a palm tree need trimming otherwise they fall off and can be a danger." The same could be said for the tree outside our property as well.

To be honest I'd be more than happy to remove the tree completely but the cost of this is prohibitive now because of the size it has become.

Any comments/advice would be most welcome.

Regards,
Lawrence
LetA
(Nevada)

04/11/2018 7:33 AM  
If your CC&R's clearly state that all front of house landscaping is performed by the HOA , then I would assume the HOA is not dong their job.
Where I am at palm trees are trimmed by a different vendor than our regular landscape maintenance company.

Reach out to your community manager and ask for your palm tree to be trimmed, nobody wants to see brown dead fronds. plus they're a fire hazard.
AugustinD

04/11/2018 9:12 AM  
LawrenceN, what your HOA's board is doing is baloney. You can take threaten legal action and so on or let it go.

What kind of tree is it? Many here have given accounts of problems with large trees, from their roots lifting sidewalks and foundations and destroying sewer lines, to branches overhanging common areas posing a hazard. If I were you, I would be saving up to have it removed. Though you could ask the HOA to remove it as well, per the terms of your HOA's governing documents.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/11/2018 10:03 AM  
To me, lawn and landscaping maintenance includes all. Grass, bushes, trees, flowers, etc.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/11/2018 3:26 PM  
Here is the line we drew in our HOA. IF the tree was planted by the HOA and/or original developer, then we took responsibility. IF the tree was planted by the owner (NOT HOA), then the HOA was NOT responsible. We would recommend permission prior to planting a tree and had a arborist list of recommended trees to plant.

We have small yards so the potential growth was a factor if one was to plant a tree. Plus trees like Bradford Pears are subject to breakage. Careful consideration and acknowledgement that tree is yours was important.

Now if that tree got infected or a danger, then the HOA would have the power to ask the owner to remove the tree. We would not maintain it. We basically treated similar to how we did fences.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/11/2018 5:38 PM  
Here is the line we take. An owner cannot plant/replace anything not originally planted by the developer without BOD approval. My HOA does all the landscaping, tree trimming, bush trimming, etc. so we toe the line on this.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Landscaping - Trees

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement