Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Video Recording Meetings, Part 1/8: Why I record
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BradB7

04/11/2018 1:15 AM  
Video Recording Meetings, Part 1/8: Why I record

One of the most depressing things I experience at my monthly board meetings is the lying. Board members lie, property managers lie, it is just something I have learned to live with. As president, I do not lie to anyone, and I have always told my residents that they will get nothing but the truth, no matter how good or bad, from me on any issue.

The incident I experienced happened three years ago. I won't go into details, but due to a misunderstanding by all the board members and our manager, I was accused of saying something at a meeting that I didn't say.

Since it was me against everyone else, I had no way to defend myself.

My integrity had been seriously questioned, I was accused of lying to everyone, and the irony is it was by the very people who lie all the time at meetings. I realized I needed to have something that would be on my side and I could use to defend myself if this type of incident ever happened again.

I decided I needed to video record the meetings, and it was the best decision as a board member I ever made.

In a series of posts I will tell you why, and maybe it will help you as well.

Next:
Part 2/8: I consult our attorney
GenoS
(Florida)

04/11/2018 2:50 AM  
Oh boy. Please tell me you reduce the recording to a written transcript. To be frank, the "my residents" part is a red flag right off the bat.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/11/2018 3:55 AM  
Brad,

You have already shared that you served for 20 years and made the decision to not run for reelection.
You have shared that you plan on selling and leaving.

I don't think a play by play is needed about the recording. You have already posted why.

I'd be more interested in what you told the board, the boards reaction and how badly did the board shun you (as that would likely be the human nature side of it). I would also be interested in hearing if there were any positive results from the taping.

KerryL1
(California)

04/11/2018 7:37 AM  
With Geno, "my residents" bothers me too. I see your explanation of why you personally record the meetings--to try to protect your rep.

GenoS
(Florida)

04/11/2018 7:31 PM  
I'm absolutely on board with recording the meetings if that's what it takes to preserve a record of what really happened.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain
BradB7

04/14/2018 5:37 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 04/11/2018 2:50 AM
Oh boy. Please tell me you reduce the recording to a written transcript. To be frank, the "my residents" part is a red flag right off the bat.

Sorry, English Comp was my weakest subject in school. Should I have said "the residents" or "our residents" instead?

Feel free to highlight in red all my grammar, punctuation, and composition mistakes. I know I make a lot.
BradB7

04/14/2018 5:45 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/11/2018 3:55 AM
Brad,

You have already shared that you served for 20 years and made the decision to not run for reelection.
You have shared that you plan on selling and leaving.

I don't think a play by play is needed about the recording. You have already posted why.

I'd be more interested in what you told the board, the boards reaction and how badly did the board shun you (as that would likely be the human nature side of it). I would also be interested in hearing if there were any positive results from the taping.

Yes, I made the decision not to run again but it hasn't been announced yet. I found out the board will just decide on a new president at the annual meeting, and they will decide between themselves who it will be. It could be me if I change my mind between now and then. Or not.

Also, you are incorrect about my selling and leaving. I never said that. Positive results from the taping are in posts 4-7 where I relate some real world experiences.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/14/2018 7:51 AM  
Posted By BradB7 on 04/14/2018 5:45 AM

Also, you are incorrect about my selling and leaving. I never said that. Positive results from the taping are in posts 4-7 where I relate some real world experiences.

I stand corrected.

I went back to read posts and someone else said they would be selling and leaving.
KerryL1
(California)

04/14/2018 8:03 AM  
If you're saying, Brad, that there are lies in the Board's approved minutes, don't you vote against approval of them?
BradB7

04/17/2018 9:57 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 04/11/2018 7:31 PM
I'm absolutely on board with recording the meetings if that's what it takes to preserve a record of what really happened.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

That's why I record, so I can have that record of what really happened. Mark Twain knew human behavior, the lie will be believed over the truth almost every time. My prime examples are those who say that the recording isn't the truth, and that their faulty memory is.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Video Recording Meetings, Part 1/8: Why I record

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement