Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, September 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Vetting for an HOA Accountant, suggestions?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TracyeH
(North Carolina)

04/10/2018 12:35 PM  
Any suggestions in finding a HOA accountant?
GenoS
(Florida)

04/10/2018 1:58 PM  
Ask a few traditional full property managers/mgmt companies if they'd be willing to do only your bookkeeping and accounting. That's what we do.
TracyeH
(North Carolina)

04/10/2018 2:07 PM  
We are looking into a management company but we have to do the homework on that then get the community approval on it. Right now the new board just wants to hire an outside accountant to handle the money. So most people here use a management company to handle the accounting? Thanks for the input.
MarkM19
(Texas)

04/10/2018 2:31 PM  
TracyeH,
I would make sure that you layout all of the issues you have had in the past. They usually include but are not limited to some here.

1) How many customers do they currently have? Most companies take on new customers and add to workload of existing employees.

2) How do they handle A/P and A/R? Do they have a Lockbox for payments to be sent to and how quickly do customers records reflect payments. How quickly do they pay vendors? Our Management company said when we interviewed them they pay bills every day. The truth is they pay bill for someone everyday but it took 30 days to get all of the approvals for regular payments. Ask the question.

3) How do they handle expedited payments and do the charge your HOA for them? We negotiated that a certain number a month would not be charged. You won't get it if you don't ask.

4) Collections who gets paid the Late fees? When do they go to collections?

Trust me I have missed way more than I remembered. Really important to be ready so that your reason for change is completely covered. It is a pain for customers to make a change who use direct deposits.
GenoS
(Florida)

04/10/2018 2:37 PM  
Mark makes some good points. I'd worry less about how much of a pain it is for owners to change their direct deposit ACH payments. Not that anyone would want to make their lives difficult on purpose, but for me that would be of minimal concern. Owners have to figure out how to pay regardless.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/10/2018 3:13 PM  
Tracy,

We are self managed, 130 lots.
As Treasurer, I pick up the checks and make the deposits.
Hiring an accountant can be expensive. We were given a quote of $1,500 per month.

Have you considered hiring an independent contractor for bookkeeping?
Our cost was $450 per month.
We did this awhile back and hired from within the community.
We quit doing it because I took the job seriously and was duplicating a lot of the work.

Have you considered looking at Banks who offer this service?
Many banks are recognizing the need and are willing to offer this service.
I have not done a lot of investigation into the options.

TimB4
(Virginia)

04/10/2018 3:15 PM  
To add to what Mark had,

I would also include that a hard copy ledger be provided at the end of each year.

Keep in mind that hiring someone to "handle the money" doesn't mean that the Treasurer has a whole lot less to do. The Treasurer should still:

1) spot check ledgers
2) reconcile bank statements
3) pay the bills and maintain the check book
4) maintain historical financial records
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Vetting for an HOA Accountant, suggestions?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement