Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: I really have to make a decision to stay or go
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/03/2018 3:35 PM  
In an earlier thread I made the comment that I'm concerned what would happen if I don't stay on the board.

The latest:

The Board decided, at a board meeting, to include minutes (write up not attachments) in the newsletter. I insisted that they be approved and not draft minutes.

Today, as they are getting the newsletter ready, draft minutes of our last meeting was sent along with an AWM (action without meeting) request to approve them. I responded that approving minutes is not a timeliness issue that requires an AWM. Noted the this board has actually waited two months to approve minutes this year. I then stated that because this is an AWM - I vote nay.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

04/03/2018 5:40 PM  
It's a shame your colleagues don't see some of the comments you've made on this board about various HOA issues - otherwise, they'd start listening to you! Instead, they seem to be hell-bent on doing some of the same damn things that got the last board sacked.

The last time you brought this up, I recall there was a lot of back and forth over whether you should stay and at least two of us suggested that perhaps you skip one or two meetings to clear your head and really think about what you want to do. So, what does your heart tell you - usually, you can't go wrong listening to it.

I think part of you wants to stay and stick it out, which I understand - along with perhaps wanting to leave because your colleagues seem incapable of doing things the right way and don't seem to care. You didn't say when your term is up, so if you really think you want to quit, would it be possible for you to stick it out until then? You can continue to push for doing the right thing and hopefully, some of your fellow homeowners will begin to notice and pay attention. In fact, it may be helpful to ask a few on the low-low how they feel about the board's actions so far or encourage them to attend a meeting or two. The same people who tossed the last board need to be aware of this bunch and how you're trying to do things in a transparent manner.

All of that said, I'll end it the way I did my last post - if you decide to leave, do it and don't look back. You did the best you could and sometimes people have to fall on their faces before they realize they really do need to watch where they step. Good luck and God bless!
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/03/2018 7:08 PM  
Thanks Shelia.

If you recall in my earlier thread I stated that I had a friend attend the meeting last month. Today we had a chance to talk. Her impressions and suggestions were informative and, I'll share some of them here.

She noticed that everything I said at the last meeting was dead right. However, every time I spoke the rest of the board simply tuned out. To put it bluntly, they don't want to hear what I have to say.

She also said, from her perspective, that she felt the rest of the Board was baiting me with some of their actions just to see what occurs. Something I did not see and an interesting take on what is happening.

She suggested that, since I would be outvoted anyway, to simply sit and take notes. To only interject when it's a money issue and let them deal with any issues. This is basically echoing what Jeff had said in my earlier thread.

I mentioned the suggestion to skip a meeting to see what happens. She thought that was a fantastic way to see what might occur. My thanks to Melissa for initially suggesting that.

She also says some of the issue is my own fault. I believe John relays the story where he had spoken up about issues before and was told that everything he said was absolutely right - dead right - meaning go away it's not what they wanted to hear. I see this might be what I'm getting into.

She, like all of you, also said to do what is best for me.

Therefore, I'm going to skip a meeting or two. May or may not be the next one. However, I do think, as you pointed out Shelia, it's the best option. Then once a decision is made, I will take your advice and not look back.

Thanks again to all who replied on the other thread and will be replying on this thread.

Tim
JerryD5
(Colorado)

04/03/2018 7:11 PM  
Tim, if it makes you feel better I decided to go. I have 6 months left of my board term and I am done. I have been on the board for 9 years and president for 7 of them. I am so far burned out.

I say go. Join me and don't look back. It will be tough at first and you will be tempted to ask your former board members how things or going. Or maybe they will realize they made a huge mistake and ask for your advice once in a while.
AugustinD

04/03/2018 8:27 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/03/2018 7:08 PM
She noticed that everything I said at the last meeting was dead right. However, every time I spoke the rest of the board simply tuned out. To put it bluntly, they don't want to hear what I have to say.

She also said, from her perspective, that she felt the rest of the Board was baiting me with some of their actions just to see what occurs. Something I did not see and an interesting take on what is happening.

Approving the Minutes via an AWM, is bogus, of course. I think the above indicates the situation is approaching maximum ugliness. I do not think things will get better.
RichardP13
(California)

04/04/2018 6:46 AM  
I resigned and moved out of my community when this type of thing happened to me. My health and that of my wife's came first.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/04/2018 7:42 AM  
I stay on my BOD to protect my interests and otherwise some idiot might get the position.
SueW6
(Michigan)

04/04/2018 12:13 PM  
I have seen newsletters print a summary of what happened during a meeting: I.E. "The Board voted to mow lawns twice a month." before the minutes were approved.

I think it's silly to print the minutes in a newsletter. They often are boring and may contain details not pertinent to the business of the corporation. JMHO.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/05/2018 8:24 AM  
As an update, the bully stated that in light of my vote, the minutes should be marked as draft and published anyway, everyone else voted yea (I was the only nay vote). The President sent out an email to all stating that the minutes would not be included in this newsletter.

The following question was asked in that email:

Tim, please remember that according to the minutes, and my recollection, you did vote "yes" to having them distributed in the next [newsletter], so your vote "no" is confusing.

My reply:

In regards to the publishing of minutes in the newsletter, I voted yes in the meeting with the understanding that the approved minutes would be what was published. In this case, it would have included the minutes from Nov to Feb meetings. To be honest, I thought the idea was a bit confusing.

I personally thought that including the minutes was an extra cost (printing of additional pages) that didn't need to be spent. The articles written typically highlight the actions of the board ([name] did an excellent job with the articles he provided) and approved minutes with attachments are available to members on the website (or will be once that gets updated ). Articles are printed reminding members of what is on the website. Since the newsletter isn't published regularly, the minutes that would be included would always be a month or more behind. However, if the majority of the Board wanted to spend the money to publish old minutes in the newsletter, there was no harm to it. Therefore, I didn't oppose the idea.

I believe everyone understands my position on when action without meetings should be used and when they should not be used.
RogerB
(Colorado)

04/05/2018 10:00 AM  
Tim, to provide the most recent minutes to members some HOAs which only hold quarterly Board meetings do email the minutes to the Board members. After approval (with approved changes) they can be publish before the next Board meeting. This expedites allowing members/homeowners knowledge of what is being done ASAP.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/05/2018 1:29 PM  
Roger,

I understand that. We hold monthly meetings.
If we held quarterly meetings, I would have no problem approving as an AWM.
In fact, had they requested approving the minutes for the purpose of publishing in the newsletter a few days after the meeting, I would have been open to that.
However, our next scheduled meeting is 8 days away.
The newsletter could be delayed (as there is no publishing schedule - it's published as needed).

JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/12/2018 9:50 PM  
Posted By JerryD5 on 04/03/2018 7:11 PM
Tim, if it makes you feel better I decided to go. I have 6 months left of my board term and I am done. I have been on the board for 9 years and president for 7 of them. I am so far burned out.

I say go. Join me and don't look back. It will be tough at first and you will be tempted to ask your former board members how things or going. Or maybe they will realize they made a huge mistake and ask for your advice once in a while.

It might be good to take a break for awhile as noted by Jerry. If you remember I was in my past HOA mess and lawsuit at wits end for many years and in new HOA took a break for a year. Then agreed to be on the ACC ... which might be interesting regarding our upcoming annual meeting. The members at the last annual meeting gave the ACC more authority regarding transgressions; however, the BOD this last year has tamped our efforts. Will be interesting when it is brought up and potential responses. I wanted a very nice “reminder” letter sent to all homeowners regarding when trash cans are to be placed out for trash pick up. The BOD asked if there had been a complaint. My response was no official complaint other than the complaints noted at the prior HOA meeting by many members. Response from BOD was that the ACC is not supposed to be looking for issues. However, at our prior HOA meeting (when minutes were sent and to be approved from last year I then realized the BOD was wrong) the membership voted to give the ACC authority to “enforce the covenants by either observation or complaint”. Therefore, the BOD should have sent the ACC letter we on the committee approved among ourselves and proposed. Sure ... we could have sent to all members as we have the email list, but we were being good citizens by following the chain of command to get BOD approval. Why ... because the BOD is the ultimate area where the buck stops with regards to any HOA issue.

One item I have kept in mind before becoming more involved after our last HOA garbage (there will be VP and Secretary positions) up for election at our upcoming meeting ... is the fact that if the HOA screws up ... it is much easier decision to potentially sue or take them to task for their ignorance and stupidity from the “outside” vs “inside” the BOD circle. When you are inside the circle it is a much harder decision because in the back of your mind is how it affects due to potential “fudiciary duty”.

TimB4
(Virginia)

04/14/2018 4:10 AM  
Update - For various reasons, I attended only a small portion of our board meeting last night.
During the time I was there, we only covered 3 or 4 items of the 15 or so that were on the agenda. Now we see what happens.

I will note that I noticed many of the things I stated a few months ago being said again by others. Therefore, I might not be getting the credit, but it's nice to see the knowledge getting used. Personally, I don't care who gets the credit if it helps the Association overall.

Tim
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > I really have to make a decision to stay or go

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement