Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA email regulations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AngelS2
(Florida)

02/13/2018 5:19 AM  
I have just became the VP of my condo. The property manager denied me of having all owners email contacts. My intent is to create a weekly update for everyone so they are up today on current projects, etc...Am I entitled to communicate to all?
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/13/2018 7:16 AM  
If you have board approval, yes, you are entitled to communicate to all.
If you do not have board approval, then No.

Why the MC is denying you membership info is unknown.
Contact info for all members should be available to all board members.
Recommend the Board, as a whole, requests the info and if denied, contact the MC and have them assign a new manager.
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 8:52 AM  
We've had a similar discussion recently, Angel, and it was specific to FL. I didn't pay close attention since I'm in CA. but one or more posters cited your state statutes on this topic. I don't recall if there is a difference between condo statutes or other HOAs' statutes.

Let's hope a FL poster will see this & reply.
CjC
(Maryland)

02/13/2018 9:18 AM  
Do owners have to opt in to giving you permission to send them info via email?
GenoS
(Florida)

02/13/2018 5:18 PM  
If a unit owner gives written authorization to receive official notices from the association via email, then those email addresses are considered "official records" and must be given to any unit owner who requests to see them.

As a board member you should be able to see them regardless, however, your use of them should be restricted to those owners that have elected to receive official notices via email. That's the same as if any other owner requested access to the list.

I suggest you have an "email auth form" printed up or placed online. Put 3 checkboxes on it:

1. Official notices
2. Newsletters
3. Permission to publish my email address

The law hasn't caught up yet to 30-year-old email technology, but those should cover you. The only thing that entitles you to communicate with owners via email pertains to official association notices and then only if you have written authorization to do so. In an emergency you'd be able to use any and all email addresses in the board's posession.

It sounds like the things you want to send out would be more appropriate posted on a website.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA email regulations

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement