Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 15, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: corporate accountant is authorized to speak to board members other than the treasurer.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MaryL11
(California)

02/12/2018 3:50 PM  
I was elected to our Board of Directors in November. I have questions on our financials that cannot be answered by our Treasurer. Our association manager indicates that our HOA will be charged an hourly fee for "research" to respond to my questions. I do not feel extensive research is required. I have provided names of each report, account numbers, check numbers, and amounts for the information I am requesting. The four other board members give a blanket acceptance to our financials with the reasoning that the management company is being paid to handle all finances for us. However, as a fiduciary, I have trouble approving items that are not clear to me.

Am I within my rights as a board member to expect an explanation for accounting practices that appear to misrepresent our finances without having our HOA charged additionally for this information?
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/12/2018 4:18 PM  
Are you within your rights to ask? Absolutely.

Can you insist on no additional charges? That would depend on the terms of your contract with the MC.
KerryL1
(California)

02/12/2018 5:12 PM  
First, with Tim. what does your contract with the Management Company (MC) say about the talks they do for you.

I assume they, they do take care of all your accounting matters since you indicate the Board has not trouble with the monthly "financials."

Every month when our board members receive the monthly financials online, our Prop. mgr. (PM) invites us directors to ask her questions about them. If she cannot answer them--and she can 90% of the time--she asks the had accountant at our MC. we are NOT charged extra.

Perhaps you can send your PM a few questions about the most recent month's financials to see if she'll reply.

Is your PM certified in any way? What kinds of questions are you asking, Mary? Is there a larger issue that's conceding you?

RichardP13
(California)

02/13/2018 12:15 PM  
Speaking as a management company, I understand someone wanting a clearer understanding of how the finances of their association is being handled. There are some good managers out there that do understand how finances in HOA's works, but for the most part, many don't, again this is from experience. If the management company has a separate accounting department, someone from that department should be willing to answer all your questions.

From experience, mistake do happens, but if pointed out, can be readily fixed.

While it should happen, relationships between Board members, homeowners and management companies are political.

Are your questions to the MC general in nature or specific? You need to remember, many treasurers of HOA boards have no experience in HOA finances, they are a warm body filling a position, again, from personal experience.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/13/2018 5:24 PM  
Posted By MaryL11 on 02/12/2018 3:50 PM
The four other board members give a blanket acceptance to our financials with the reasoning that the management company is being paid to handle all finances for us. However, as a fiduciary, I have trouble approving items that are not clear to me.

Good for you, and I think you should absolutely be able to see those. My board here operates pretty much the same way. I regularly spot things that look "odd", maybe one a month or so, and no one else even notices or bothers to question them. Often there's a simple explanation but there are times when a legitimate mistake or error in the books occurs. I think it's irresponsible for a board to just assume that your MC will always do things 100% correctly just because you're paying them to do it.
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 6:29 PM  
With Geno, Mary, I agree that it's good that you watch the financials carefully and ask questions. And it's too often sadly true that the treasurer knows nothing about them.

Our first treasurer after turn over form the developer was a CPA so the then-Board thought he understood the financials. but he knew nothing about reserves and we new directors inherited a mess!
SueW6
(Michigan)

02/14/2018 7:19 AM  
Mary, could you give an example question you have?

Seems like if the Board passed a budget, then it will know - by way of a Y-T-D monthly report - exactly where they are in regards to revenue and spending.

Or is this a reporting question?

What reports are you getting each month?
KerryL1
(California)

02/14/2018 12:59 PM  
Sue ska good questions, Mary. Are you still with us?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > corporate accountant is authorized to speak to board members other than the treasurer.

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement