Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Certified letter-none answer
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
StephenF1
(Florida)

02/12/2018 6:30 AM  
Hello all.
I recently bought another condo in Florida, it is a long term rental unit.
I wanted to change the windows as they are old and have emailed the president to ask what the process is.
I emailed the president as the MC say they do not handle this and all inquiries go to the president.
I got a reply to the effect they are too busy and at some point in the future they will respond.
After three weeks I sent a certified letter with the same request.
It is now 8 weeks since that certified letter was received and I have heard nothing.
I have checked the docs and there is no mention of when or how they respond to owner messages.
How do I deal with this?
Thank you

DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/12/2018 7:54 AM  
Do you have the governing docs? If so, check and see if they say anything about ARC requests being deemed automatically approved if no response in a given time frame. Ours give the ARC 30 days to respond. If your docs say something like that, I'd still be a bit wary of starting work based on that, it could expensive if they decide to fight in court, but I would send another letter pointing that out and telling the president/association that you will consider the request approved as of xxx date if you do not get a response. That might get them to do their job, or at least you've given them fair warning.
StephenF1
(Florida)

02/12/2018 8:09 AM  
The docs state that BOD approval is needed but there is nothing about a BOD not responding.
I did consider sending that second certified letter to say I assume that absence of a response will be deemed an approval.
Maybe I try that and see what happens.
Thank you
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/12/2018 8:13 AM  
Florida Statute 718 that governs condos says this, you might want to reference it in your communication:

718.112 1(a)2. When a unit owner of a residential condominium files a written inquiry by certified mail with the board of administration, the board shall respond in writing to the unit owner within 30 days after receipt of the inquiry. The board’s response shall either give a substantive response to the inquirer, notify the inquirer that a legal opinion has been requested, or notify the inquirer that advice has been requested from the division. If the board requests advice from the division, the board shall, within 10 days after its receipt of the advice, provide in writing a substantive response to the inquirer. If a legal opinion is requested, the board shall, within 60 days after the receipt of the inquiry, provide in writing a substantive response to the inquiry. The failure to provide a substantive response to the inquiry as provided herein precludes the board from recovering attorney fees and costs in any subsequent litigation, administrative proceeding, or arbitration arising out of the inquiry. The association may through its board of administration adopt reasonable rules and regulations regarding the frequency and manner of responding to unit owner inquiries, one of which may be that the association is only obligated to respond to one written inquiry per unit in any given 30-day period. In such a case, any additional inquiry or inquiries must be responded to in the subsequent 30-day period, or periods, as applicable.
StephenF1
(Florida)

02/12/2018 1:53 PM  
Thank you, I have just mailed out the certified letter and added the Statue
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Certified letter-none answer

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement