Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Tax Lien Certificates Purchased
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BobF9
(Florida)

02/10/2018 3:01 PM  
I don't know why the Font is so big when I type this.

From all that I've read tax lien certificates are an investment. There is an HOA in Florida where the president of this HOA took it upon himself to purchase the tax lien certificates on a property that he plans on putting a lien on and foreclosing on due to overdue HOA fees.

I believe this was done so that the tax liens didn't override those plans. So by owning the tax liens this HOA president thinks he can continue on with his plans.

My concern is an HOA is non-profit organization. I have never heard of an HOA purchasing tax lien certificates before.

This was also done without the homeowners in the community even knowing it was done.

Just wanted to get your take on this
BobF9
(Florida)

02/10/2018 3:32 PM  
The expenses were not even reported. It seems a strange conflict of interest for tax lien certificates to be purchased by an HOA.
BobF9
(Florida)

02/10/2018 5:31 PM  
I guess no one really knows if this is unusual or not
KerryL1
(California)

02/10/2018 6:22 PM  
Can't speak for others, but I don't know what a "tax lien certificate" IS.
LetA
(Nevada)

02/10/2018 7:20 PM  
It sounds like that HOA prez is purchasing those on his own, he plans on buying them as an investment. I believe Florida is one of those
states where any mortgage on a foreclosed property gets wiped away in an HOA foreclosure. It sounds shady, unfortunately it is legal.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/10/2018 7:42 PM  
Posted By BobF9 on 02/10/2018 3:01 PM

My concern is an HOA is non-profit organization. I have never heard of an HOA purchasing tax lien certificates before.

I agree that it seems unusual that an HOA would purchase a tax certificate, but I have no idea what the ramifications are.

While HOAs are generally not for profit corporations, they do have income, both from dues and potentially from other sources including investments. Note that income does not equal profit.
RichardP13
(California)

02/10/2018 7:51 PM  
A tax lien certificate is a certificate of claim against a property that has a lien placed upon it as a result of unpaid property taxes. Tax lien certificates are generally sold to investors through an auction process.
BobF9
(Florida)

02/10/2018 7:55 PM  
They were not purchased in the individuals name. They were purchased in the HOA's name with HOA money
BobF9
(Florida)

02/10/2018 7:59 PM  

They were not purchased in the individuals name. They were purchased in the HOA's name with HOA money without the community's knowledge. One resident found out by accident. It was not reported either on the expenses.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/10/2018 10:00 PM  
Tax liens in FL are a lucrative form of investment that can generate annual returns as much as 18%. When you buy one at an auction you pay the overdue taxes and in return get the right to collect that amount plus interest when the owner settles up. It's such easy money that big companies were able to game the system by setting up shell companies - numbering in the thousands in some cases - to flood the auction bid process and improve their chances of winning the auction.

So, the question becomes if the president was authorized to "invest" the association's money in these tax lien certificates. While they're extremely low risk (no risk, really, if the HOA is planning to lien the property and force a settling-up), does the president get to decide how to invest the HOA's money? Who sets the HOA's investment guidelines and procedures?

It might even be a good idea, but it sounds shady if the president made the decision on his own.
BobF9
(Florida)

02/11/2018 3:43 AM  
Done without permission. In secret. Money not reported on expenses. Spent thousands. HOA does not invest. Is a nonprofit.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/11/2018 5:28 AM  
Keep in mind that Associations are Not FOR Profit (not nonprofit).

They can invest and some do.
They can make a profit.
All proceeds must be used for the purpose intended (they may not give the profit earned back to the members).
All proceeds not from Assessments are taxable.

If they earn too much from investments, there could be additional consequences (such as filing form 1120 vs 1120-H)
GenoS
(Florida)

02/11/2018 11:45 AM  
Not-for-profit corporations in FL should not show any profit or loss in a given year, but they can invest money that's just sitting there, such as a reserve fund. Investing in CDs and/or Treasuries is common. You might want to consider submitting a written request to inspect the association's financial records and reports for the past few months.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Tax Lien Certificates Purchased

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement