Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, February 18, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: New Management Company - Transferring records
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BrianM18
(California)

02/09/2018 1:43 PM  
We are switching management companies and current mgmt has become very hostile and uncooperative. Where can I find exactly what records we are entitled too? We feel in addition to the minutes, past invoices, check copies, tax filings, owner ARC approvals, and all electronic files of payments and owner data should be released. Thank you in advance for your help.
Brian
BillH10
(Texas)

02/09/2018 2:10 PM  
In a quick, short answer, I cannot think of thing which pertains to your association you should not be given other than perhaps copies of e-mail between the property manager or others in the management company and your association. Even so, you could reasonably ask for those as well, in electronic format.

In other words, everything they inherited when they were first engaged and every record, file, transaction, etc. since.
BrianM18
(California)

02/09/2018 2:19 PM  
Thank you for the quick response. My concern is we will get a box of stuff and they will simply say, this is all we have. Something like just the minutes and corporation stamp. What records are they required to maintain?
RichardP13
(California)

02/09/2018 2:22 PM  
Brian

Your association is entitled to all the records that were given to the current MC (either paper or electronic), all the records since you have been with the current MC. No ifs and or buts.

I am going through the same mess with a former MC. I have a court date (small claims) with the company and its owner, who is an "attorney".

No one likes losing an account(s) but you are never supposed to bring the homeowners at risk.

Here is a link to the CAI Manager Code of Ethics, which most of us take seriously.

https://www.caionline.org/LearningCenter/credentials/Documents/ethics_code.pdf
RichardP13
(California)

02/09/2018 2:26 PM  
Posted By BrianM18 on 02/09/2018 2:19 PM
Thank you for the quick response. My concern is we will get a box of stuff and they will simply say, this is all we have. Something like just the minutes and corporation stamp. What records are they required to maintain?

When I take on an association, every document I get during a transition is scanned and the Board is given a copy via a DVD disk. If I ever lose an account, all records would be provided on a disk. We would keep the files for a period of time, archived.
RichardP13
(California)

02/09/2018 2:27 PM  
This is a link to a checklist of records that should be transferred.

https://www.davis-stirling.com/HOME/Records-transfer

KerryL1
(California)

02/09/2018 2:36 PM  
Good info & resources from Richard, Brian. Yu might also want to read your contract to see what it says. Like ours with our MC, there's probably a lot of language about when the relationship ends.
BrianM18
(California)

02/10/2018 7:05 AM  
Good stuff. Very much appreciate everyone's help.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > New Management Company - Transferring records

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement