Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: who may be a board member
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JR8
(Oregon)

02/06/2018 4:57 PM  
We've looked at Oregon HOA law for the answer; governing documents do not address it at all.

Recently someone who is not an owner of record (but related to the owner of record) was made a board member. Does anyone if this is legal in Oregon? It feels like it opens the door to some strange stuff..
RichardP13
(California)

02/06/2018 5:01 PM  
What do you Bylaws say?
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/06/2018 6:23 PM  
Qualifiers on who may or may not serve as a board member are typically contained within your governing documents.
Usually the Bylaws.

If the documents are silent, then anyone may serve (be they a member or not).
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/07/2018 5:09 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 02/06/2018 5:01 PM
What do you Bylaws say?

Exactly, our bylaws specifically state that directors don't have to be members.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/07/2018 8:48 AM  
Interesting topic. I don't see a problem with non-owners being on the board since the membership elects them but I wonder who would sit on an HOA board when they are not a member. I could see residents who are either renting or living with an owner, e.g. adult children and parents of owners.
JR8
(Oregon)

02/07/2018 9:54 AM  
this is someone who filled a temporary position from a board member who resigned. Given a somewhat apathetic owner participation.. I'm guessing most owners don't realize this has happened. I guess it will come up at the annual meeting, when she'll need to be voted in by membership, but I doubt this particular board will even mention that the candidate is not an owner of record.

The bylaws are old - written in early 70s when condos were up and coming; very boiler plate generic. not adequately updated which is another issue. I don't like the idea that someone who has no financial stake in the complex can vote on policy.
CjC
(Maryland)

02/07/2018 10:27 AM  
Many documents allow a non-residents as the developer sits the original board and those are not residents.
KerryL1
(California)

02/07/2018 11:28 AM  
Yes, I, too, wouldn't like a non-owner on our HA board, but if your bylaws are silent, and they often are since the developer needs a board when still in control and often they are the developer's employees, then non-owners may serve.

If the non-owner runs to be a director, campaign against her on those grounds.

Meantime, encourage your board to update your bylaws.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/07/2018 2:51 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 02/07/2018 8:48 AM

I wonder who would sit on an HOA board when they are not a member.

Members are typically defined as those being listed on the deed.

There may be a second marriage and to keep the kids happy, the new spouse is not on the deed. However, the new spouse wants to be involved in the community they live.

There may be a long term renter who wants to make their community better.

There may be adult children living in the home who desire to serve.

There are home owners living with significant others who are not on the deed, hence not a member, who want to serve.

Initially, the developer appoints those who are not member to serve on the Board (which is why most initial bylaws do not have a members only qualifier)

SS11
(Arizona)

02/14/2018 4:25 PM  
Reading these replies made me curious. Just wonder if I could qualify to be a member of on HOA board?
I am removing my name from my deed and putting it in my sons name but will continue to live here.
I will still be liable for the mortgage, taxes, insurance, and HOA fees, etc. So the change is in the name on the deed only.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/14/2018 4:55 PM  
You have to be an owner. Name on the deed to be a member. Plus you have to be elected by the membership. So if stay the owner and get voted in, welcome to the board!

Former HOA President
RichardP13
(California)

02/14/2018 5:20 PM  
Posted By SS11 on 02/14/2018 4:25 PM
Reading these replies made me curious. Just wonder if I could qualify to be a member of on HOA board?
I am removing my name from my deed and putting it in my sons name but will continue to live here.
I will still be liable for the mortgage, taxes, insurance, and HOA fees, etc. So the change is in the name on the deed only.

How would an HOA know a name was quitclaimed off the deed if you don't say anything?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

02/15/2018 7:11 PM  
Posted By SS11 on 02/14/2018 4:25 PM

Your governing docs should say if board members need to be owners (members). Some require it, some don't. If they do require membership, then if you quit claim your ownership you can't be a director. I suppose if the quit claim is not recorded you might be able to get away with it.

From a broader point of view, make sure you understand the pitfalls before quit claiming. There are other ways avoid probate while providing yourself greater protection (living trusts, etc.). Receiving the home while you are still alive vs. inheriting it will also affect your son's cost basis for capital gains taxes when he eventually sells it.
GenoS
(Florida)

02/16/2018 2:52 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 02/07/2018 2:51 PM
There may be a second marriage and to keep the kids happy, the new spouse is not on the deed. However, the new spouse wants to be involved in the community they live.

There may be a long term renter who wants to make their community better.

There may be adult children living in the home who desire to serve.

There are home owners living with significant others who are not on the deed, hence not a member, who want to serve.

We considered a change in our bylaws to allow non-members to serve as directors for exactly some of these reasons. That's a good list, Tim. We perennially have a shortage of people willing to serve on the board and figured this would be a way to allow some of the people, just like those you mentioned, to do so. Some are long-time residents who have demonstrated a committment to the community over a long period of time and would probably be outstanding board members.

The change was seriously considered by the board and many homeowners were disposed to vote in favor of it. At the end of the day (well, 6 months of formal and informal discussion) two arguments prevailed: (1) The homeowners of record (on the deed) should really hold all the cards, and (2) the law of Unintended Consequences would surely rear its ugly head sooner or later.

We have a really hard time getting board volunteers year after year. It's not out of the question - in fact it would have been more likely than not - that within 5 years we could have ended up with a board where the majority of directors were not homeowners.

So not to say it will never happen, but last year it did not. No one was really upset when the board finally squashed the idea, so that says something as well.
EllieD
(Vermont)

02/16/2018 1:36 PM  
Might this be a possibility?

The affairs of the Association shall be governed by the Executive Board composed of not fewer than three but not more than five persons, as set forth in the Declaration,

all of whom shall be an Owner, except for one (1) – or alternately for two (2) - or for a seven member Board, except for two (2) - or alternately three (3) - who do not need to be an Owner,

and none of whom shall be related by marriage or civil union, blood or adoption or by partnership.
NigelB
(Texas)

02/17/2018 3:16 PM  
Most communities ByLaws are written by the developer who created the HOA. As the developer generally controls the HOA until it is turned over to the members, the ByLaws are written to allow individuals who do not own property in the development to serve as directors. Once the HOA is turned over to member control, the board should seriously consider amending the ByLaws to only allow an individual who is listed on the deed to property in the community to be eligible to be a director.

This would preclude a non property owner from serving on a board which makes decisions that affect all of the property owners financially such as increasing assessments or spending the HOA's money. We amended our ByLaws exactly for that reason because if you don't it is possible that control of the financial affairs of the HOA would be in the hands of someone who neither owns property in the HOA or pays any assessments to the HOA.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > who may be a board member

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement