Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 13, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Director's term of Office
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HarryJ1
(Florida)

02/06/2018 1:29 PM  
Our bylaws say that a director's term of office extends until a successor is elected to replace him. This is raising issues and I'm curious if anyone has some advise. We had we had 7 directors and then had our annual meeting and election. Only 5 of the 7 chose to run, but the two who did not want to run did not actually resign. So, one thought is that the 2 old directors' terms continue beyond the annual meeting and that they need to actually resign for them to be considered no longer on the board. Other thinking is that the annual meeting and valid election automatically ends the term of all directors who choose not to run for the board.
Anyone see anything similar? Our bylaws are 32 years old, but have survived and still serve us well.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

02/06/2018 1:48 PM  
Usually, a director will stay on until voted out (or recalled) or formally resigns and the board appoints a replacement if no one volunteers for the job. If getting volunteers is an issue, it's helpful for an outgoing board member to help recruit his/her replacement - the board will have the final say if it's to appoint someone or that homeowner can formally announce his/her candidacy and the homeowners can decide.

What exactly did these board directors say regarding their future with the board? There's a difference between "I'm not running again in the next election - good luck to whoever takes my place" vs. "I'd rather not run but if no one else wants the job, I guess I'll stay on until someone steps up (or I can't take it anymore and step down)." Did anyone ask these people to submit a resignation in writing? If not, and they're up for re-election anyway, it should be relatively simply for someone to run against them and hopefully win.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/06/2018 3:52 PM  
Harry

Typically if there is not a Quorum to allow for a BOD election, the existing BOD Members stay in place. Do not confuse this with there was a Quorum, an election was held, but only 5 ran for 7 spots. In this case the 5 elected are the BOD and they have two vacancies to fill. Granted the 5 might appoint the other two to fill the vacancies, but the other two are not automatically on the BOD.
KerryL1
(California)

02/06/2018 4:35 PM  
So, Harry, how many directors do your bylaws say you should have?

How long are the directors' terms according to your bylaws?

I think JohnC makes sense--the two are no longer on the Board. But I don't feel sure about it. Would FL statutes for condos or HOAs help?
GenoS
(Florida)

02/06/2018 8:40 PM  
In both condos and HOAs in Florida, "An election is not required unless more candidates are nominated than vacancies exist." If an election is not required then a meeting with a quorum isn't required either. If an election is otherwise required in a condo association, a meeting with a quorum isn't required so long as 20% of the voting interests cast ballots. That will also be true for HOAs if a currently proposed HOA bill passes this year (as it is expected to). In that case, the only way sitting directors would keep their seats is if an election was required and less than 20% of the owners cast ballots.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

02/07/2018 10:31 PM  
You answered your own question: “Our bylaws say that a director's term of office extends until a successor is elected to replace him.” The exception would be if your State Law supercedes and which the info Geno posted notes your bylaws are in sinc with the state laws.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Director's term of Office

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement