Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, August 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Owners and Proxy Votes- Annual Meeting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnM79
(New Hampshire)

02/02/2018 12:51 PM  
Our Association is trying to make changes to the Bylaws. The Board was supposed to present the new bylaw changes prior to the annual meeting last May but did not make the changes in time. They still have not present the changes. At the annual meeting, it was voted to continue the annual meeting and vote on the bylaw changes since we had more than enough proxy votes or owners present to vote on the changes. Since May, six units have sold. Therefore, I believe that the votes for those former owners can not be casted and would not count toward the total of the number of eligible voters. Am I correct? With the sale of these units, the Association would not have the required owners present or by proxy to vote.

RichardP13
(California)

02/02/2018 1:04 PM  
Those six would cease to be members and therefore their vote or proxy would no longer be valid.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/05/2018 10:53 PM  
I think you are correct but it might be tricky. If someone was a member when they signed their ballot or proxy and then moved before the election, I think their vote could still be counted. Otherwise, you would have to go back and check each voting member and make sure they did not sell their house between the time they signed the ballot/proxy and the election. Also, since the new person who bought the house would not have gotten a ballot, you would be denying that unit a vote. If your CC&Rs or bylaws don't state what to do, it is probably a question for an attorney.

Unless your governing documents say otherwise, if you don't have the election on the stated date, the ballots and proxies should become void, but every state has different laws so I would check with an attorney.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

02/05/2018 11:08 PM  
I agree with Richard. Keep in mind that happened last May and it is now February of the next year. Potentially continuing a meeting means it will be taken care of in the VERY near future ... NOT almost a year later because of what you have noted potential sale and purchase of units. If units have sold those votes become invalid and the new owners potentially have the right to vote on items which will now affect THEIR property. If I was a new owner who purchased and you made a change after I purchased without my required vote ... depending on the situation I could choose to SUE the HOA. And I would estimate a high probability of winning that lawsuit. Your HOA needs to avoid that scenario!
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/06/2018 5:13 AM  
Let me think. How would I feel if there was an amendment change using votes of some owners who no longer lived there. Still thinking as I call my lawyers number.
CjC
(Maryland)

02/06/2018 10:00 AM  
What do the proxies say about how long they are good for?
JanetB2
(Colorado)

02/07/2018 10:09 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 02/06/2018 5:13 AM
Let me think. How would I feel if there was an amendment change using votes of some owners who no longer lived there. Still thinking as I call my lawyers number.

LOL ... Pretty much my thought

AnneB4
(Florida)

04/27/2018 5:47 PM  
In Florida, proxies are good for 90 days after the date of the original meeting, according to 720.306 8a
GenoS
(Florida)

04/28/2018 1:52 AM  
"If a new record date for the adjourned meeting is or must be fixed under s. 607.0707, notice of the adjourned meeting must be given to persons who are entitled to vote and are members as of the new record date but were not members as of the previous record date."

So says FS 720.306(7). You'll have to determine whether or not FS 607.0707 applies to you regarding whether of not a new record date must be fixed. The "record date" is usually the date which determines who is and isn't eligible to vote, but FS 607.0707 talks about general corporate law and shareholders. It seems reasonable to replace "shareholder" with "homeowner" but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know.

FS 607.0707 says in part, "If not otherwise provided by or pursuant to the bylaws, the record date for determining shareholders entitled to notice of and to vote at an annual or special shareholders’ meeting is the close of business on the day before the first notice is delivered to shareholders."

Often the date of the first meeting notice is weeks before the actual meeting, so unless there's a formal determination of "record date" required in your bylaws, it seems likely that whoever was a homeowner on the "record date" is entitled to vote and anyone who took ownership of a property after that date but before the meeting date would just be SOL. Nothing requires that all corporate law be fair.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Owners and Proxy Votes- Annual Meeting

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement