Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: New Pres, Down to 2 Board members, Reduce Quorum.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JayF1
(Washington)

02/01/2018 11:18 AM  
I am a new President & finished my 1st year. Within my 1st year, I have lost my Secretary & Treasury due to life changes & 8 plus years serving as board members. Due to lack of membership participation, we are down to 2. Each board member force to take on 2 roles. I am Pres/Treasurer, the other is VPres/Secretary. I know being Pres & Treasurer is not recommend due to checks & balances but the other doesn't want to be Treasurer. There is no restriction in our governing docs/bylaws & I have no choice.

Here is my problem, What does the Board do at this point? Especially regular meetings and HOA business matters. I need a quorum to have a valid meeting? Therefore, the Board vote to drop it down to 2 homeowners but was that the right decision?? We don't need a management company, we can take care of the HOA matters on the backend side. It is the formality & legality that I am worried about. Any input I would be greatly appreciated.

40 homeowners
16 year development
WA State
Quorum 2
No need for a management company

KerryL1
(California)

02/01/2018 1:05 PM  
How many directors do your bylaws or some other doc say you should have? And many for a quorum of the Board?
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/01/2018 1:56 PM  
What you did was likely improper.

If you have less then a quorum, you can't simply say we will continue.
If you want to change the quorum requirement, you have to change the document that identifies the quorum.

My suggestion, appoint a spouse to the Board.
They can show up at the start of the meeting and then leave.
This will give you a quorum and the quorum will remain even if someone leaves.

It's not proper, but it will allow things to get done.

The other option is to place the fear of the courts into the membership.
Explain that without a quorum, the Board has no power but to pay existing contracts.
Without a quorum, the Board will be forced to petition the court for receivership which will place control of the Association with the receiver and the Association will incur additional assessments to pay for the receivers salary.

When I faced a similar issue within my Association, prior to people leaving, the Board passed a resolution empowering the Officers to renew contracts if needed and the authority to enter into contracts to pay for any needed repairs. This allowed the Officer to do the work without further approval of the board.
BenA2
(Texas)

02/01/2018 2:07 PM  
The requirement for quorum should be in your CC&Rs or bylaws. If it is in the CC&Rs or bylaws, then you have to follow the procedure for amending that respective document.

I'm confused when you say you dropped it to two homeowners. Are you counting homeowners who are not board members? The quorum is only for voting members so, if you are talking about a board meeting, you would only count board members.

I would also check your state laws for quorum requirements.

RichardP13
(California)

02/01/2018 2:28 PM  
First, as was asked, how many Directors did you have, 5 or 3?

What does your Bylaws state as the number of Directors required, 3 or 5, or 3 up to 5. With an association of 40 units, 5 Directors can be overkill. If it is the later, and is only three, then you are fine.

My strong recommendation is get a management company to handle financials only. For a couple hundred dollars, they can send statements/coupon out, receive payments, pay bills and compile monthly financials. It is possible they can handle annual reviews and taxes. Then the Board can handle the day to day operation of the complex.

Don't appoint a spouse, call a member meeting and lay it on the line that someone needs to step up to the plate.
JayF1
(Washington)

02/01/2018 5:19 PM  
Only 2 board members
40 Homeowners
16-year Development
WA State
Quorum 2
No need for a management company

ByLaws: The affairs of this Association shall be managed by a Board of one(1) Director but not more than five (5) Directors.
ByLaws: To constitute a quorum at any meeting of the members, there only needs to be five (5) lot owners present which shall
constitute a quorum for any action.

ByLaws originally stated 5 homeowners must be present. It was drop down to 3 before I took over. Finally, we amend it to 2 before the Secretary resigned.

I suspect that was improper. Just not experienced enough to confirm this. We have been having membership participation dwindling over the years. I was wondering what are other HOAs with the similar issue doing?

Tim-resolution empowering officers sounds good but appears dangerous or high risk of liability to the officers. Did this work for you?
JayF1
(Washington)

02/01/2018 5:28 PM  
I am a small business owner. I got the business side of HOA taken care of. I really like to save as far as our HOA budget and get our reserves back. We did use separate management companies but both failed for some reason. Because of that, we lost most of our reserves. I just lacking experience on the board formality & legality side of Board meetings. I was they had President manual but I guess it would be a 1000 page book to cover these misc procedures.

KerryL1
(California)

02/01/2018 5:46 PM  
Two board members are fine for board meetings according to your bylaws as they only require one.

The quorum of 5 is for MEMBERS meetings, which usually just are annual meetings and elections.

Not sure how you "lost reserves" paying a MC as that pay should have come out of your operations budget not your reserves.
JayF1
(Washington)

02/09/2018 5:56 PM  
Hi Kerry.

Is this true? Quorums are for Member meetings only and not regular meetings? This sounds too good to be true.

I agree with you. I just took over, we had 2 management companies and eventually they drop us after draining our reserves. They are very expensive and taking half of our assessments.

"Two board members are fine for board meetings according to your bylaws as they only require one.
The quorum of 5 is for MEMBERS meetings, which usually just are annual meetings and elections.
Not sure how you "lost reserves" paying a MC as that pay should have come out of your operations budget not your reserves."
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/09/2018 6:09 PM  
Jay,

What Kerry is saying is the citation you provided is for the general membership meetings and not board meetings.

A quorum of the Board is a simply majority.
If you have 5 seats on the board (regardless of how many are filled), the quorum for board meetings is 3
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/09/2018 6:17 PM  
Note, the basis for saying this is Washington State Corporate Law:

RCW 24.03.110

A majority of the number of directors fixed by, or in the manner provided in the bylaws, or in the absence of a bylaw fixing or providing for the number of directors, then of the number fixed by or in the manner provided in the articles of incorporation, shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, unless otherwise provided in the articles of incorporation or the bylaws.

Basically, the Board needs to appoint one person to the Board to make quorum (if you are down to 2 seated directors). It can be an uninterested individual who shows up to establish a quorum and goes home if needed.
JayF1
(Washington)

02/10/2018 12:56 AM  
thanks tim & kerry, obviously I need to understand this all this formality.

By my understanding, without a quorum, there Board cannot meet and vote in HOA matters (fines, contracts, amendments, legal action). The directors can only maintain the status quo, paying bills, collecting annual assessments & unpaid balance dues. It appears our governing docs are standard and the bottom line everything must be approval of % of the membership. Any clarification I would greatly help, just thankful to have access to experienced folks like you both. I am self-employed and learning the ropes the proper way to run our HOA. The experience members left me once they saw the first window to exit.
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/10/2018 4:25 AM  
Jay,

You have it.

However, reality is if you do what needs to be done that is likely not to be challenged (renewing/new contracts for services, collection actions, amendments by the membership, etc.) then there will likely be no issues. If you do things that may be challenged (fines, changing governing documents at the Board level) you run the risk of all of those actions being ruled null and void by the courts.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/10/2018 7:29 AM  
Jay

Look at how the BOD can fill vacancies. I expect you two could appoint a 3rd.
JayF1
(Washington)

02/13/2018 2:18 PM  
I hope so John. Just worried about liabilities. We can simply appoint our wives but they will not willing to do any such fiduciary duties in regards to what they are appointed to. We really need someone to commit and volunteer what is expected because of that.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/13/2018 3:52 PM  
Posted By JayF1 on 02/13/2018 2:18 PM
I hope so John. Just worried about liabilities. We can simply appoint our wives but they will not willing to do any such fiduciary duties in regards to what they are appointed to. We really need someone to commit and volunteer what is expected because of that.

Jay

Some Covenants/Blaws prohibit co-owners (husband and wife) from being on a BOD. Others allow it. Read your own closely.

Myself, I am against such.
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 3:55 PM  
But, very one, how do you t read this, which apparently is in Jay's bylaws: "The affairs of this Association shall be managed by a Board of one(1) Director but not more than five (5) Directors."

It looks as though 2 would be OK?????
TimB4
(Virginia)

02/13/2018 4:01 PM  
Two would be ok.
However, in my opinion, the quorum would still be 3.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/13/2018 4:06 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 02/13/2018 4:01 PM
Two would be ok.
However, in my opinion, the quorum would still be 3.

That says to me one person can control. If two, then 2 agreeing works same two not agreeing works. One to one is a tie vote.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

02/13/2018 4:20 PM  
The way it's written, and the way I interpret it, having only two board members is okay but you would need unanimous voting on all decisions. Just remember there are two types of meetings, member and board, each having a different quorum requirement.

If I were in your shoes, I would pen some questions and go spend 30 minutes with an HOA lawyer. I was actually in your shoes as far as being thrown in the fire. But I had three others who were thrown in with me. Our quorum is 3 since we have 4 directors. The lawyer helped me allot.
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 5:28 PM  
I agree with Douglas, Jay. You & the other director should spend a hour or less with an HOA lawyer to get a lot straightened out.
KerryL1
(California)

02/13/2018 5:29 PM  
I agree with Douglas, Jay. You & the other director should spend a hour or less with an HOA lawyer to get a lot straightened out.
JayF1
(Washington)

02/13/2018 5:49 PM  
thanks all for seeing my dilemma. that's why I am these discussions. Need to get familiar with areas like this so I can ask the appropriate questions to our lawyer.

BTW-anyone knows a good HOA lawyer in WA State?? Just asking this brings up more questions regarding our existing lawyer with current fillings. Seems to be ongoing when you are new. I can see why 3 or odd number directors is required, to break a tie.
Any more advice I greatly appreciate, especially someone thinking outside the box. Just like to get more views regarding this situation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > New Pres, Down to 2 Board members, Reduce Quorum.

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement