Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, May 23, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How do unpaid condo dues get paid for a owner that is selling his/her unit
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimC24
(Connecticut)

01/29/2018 4:47 PM  
I mentioned in a previous post that an owner of one of the units in my condo is behind on condo dues and he put is unit up for sale. He refuses to pay condo dues now. In CT the Association already has a lien on the unit. Everyone keeps telling me that the owner can not clear title without making the Association whole on back common charges. But how do the mechanics of this process actually work? Will someone contact me and ask me what the guy owes and then cut me a check for the amount? Who would this someone be? I just don't want to be duped by this guy who is obviously trying to get out without paying.

Thank you for your response in advance.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/29/2018 5:01 PM  
Make sure a lien is indeed on file. I got told that a few times to find out it wasn't the case. If there is one, then when the unit sells, the owner has to pay the amount owed and the legal fees for filing the lien. It should accumulate from the beginning where they stopped paying till the date they pay. Late fees/interest may be added on as well. Those are often used a negotiations for those willing to pay up.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

01/29/2018 5:26 PM  
If they use a title company the title company will check public records to determine if the property has liens or is subject to dues or assessments.

If there is a lien they will contact the party who placed the lien and determine the amount owed. If there is a condo association or HOA, they will send a request for information to the HOA or whoever collects the assessments. It's called a resale certificate or statement of accounts. The HOA or condo association gives the title company the information which includes the monthly or annual amount of the assessments plus any past due amounts. Any money owed is added to the closing costs and is collected from either the buyer or seller, depending on their agreement and a check would be issued for the HOA.

In some, if not most states, the seller is required to report the existence of a community association. If they don't, the title company would find out anyway as long as the proper papers are filed with the government.

I think this is how it works in most states but they all have different laws.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

01/29/2018 6:27 PM  
Melissa's right. The lien will "cloud" the title and be part of the settlement.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/29/2018 7:49 PM  
As has been pointed out, most Associations CC&Rs constitute a lien.
However, somebody has to record the lien (along with proper notices) to actually have the lien seen by others.

As has been pointed out, most settlement companies will (if they can locate the information) contact the Association to find out the amount of the assessment, if the assessments are current and, if not, what is owed. If this occurs, that amount will be added to the closing costs and the Association should receive a check within 2 weeks of closing.
RichardP13
(California)

01/30/2018 7:52 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/29/2018 5:01 PM
Make sure a lien is indeed on file. I got told that a few times to find out it wasn't the case. If there is one, then when the unit sells, the owner has to pay the amount owed and the legal fees for filing the lien. It should accumulate from the beginning where they stopped paying till the date they pay. Late fees/interest may be added on as well. Those are often used a negotiations for those willing to pay up.

If it is a "cash sale" often, no escrow is opened or title insurance purchased and the lien goes unpaid.
PaulaW2
(Hawaii)

01/30/2018 9:30 AM  
What Richard said about a cash sale, may be true, but I just sold a property in an all cash deal and there was both escrow and a title search. Just sayin'. If there is a proper lien on the property for HOA dues, if the owner even tries to re-finance, they will be "caught" and required to settle the lien.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

01/31/2018 2:19 PM  
Very few people with the means to purchase a home w/ cash will overlook title insurance. I can't imagine leaving that open-ended in the closing.
BenA2
(Texas)

01/31/2018 2:45 PM  
Posted By KellyM3 on 01/31/2018 2:19 PM
Very few people with the means to purchase a home w/ cash will overlook title insurance. I can't imagine leaving that open-ended in the closing.

This is probably more true with homes but with land sales it is not that unusual for buyers to skip the title company. We have a lot of undeveloped lots and it's not uncommon.
LetA
(Nevada)

02/01/2018 8:29 AM  
Proving the buyer uses a title agency, the title agency will take the payment from the buyer, deduct the lien about and cut a check to satisfy then lien.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

02/01/2018 10:49 AM  
I suggest you contact the realtor and tell them there are past due assessments.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/02/2018 8:24 AM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 02/01/2018 10:49 AM
I suggest you contact the realtor and tell them there are past due assessments.

We did that in one case and the realtor got her client to catch up on his dues as the realtor did not want to get involved with a sticky situation.
SS11
(Arizona)

02/14/2018 4:41 PM  
Not sure if this is a solution or not.
Seller signs promissory note to HOA so they can collect these past due fees at COE out of Seller's funds.
Just an idea!!!!!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

02/14/2018 4:58 PM  
Probably not. No need for a promissory note as it's already agreed your to pay the dues. Need something legally stronger like a lien.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How do unpaid condo dues get paid for a owner that is selling his/her unit

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement