Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Illinois HOA Cooperative but Uncooperative about Board Meetings !!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
FredG3
(Illinois)

01/12/2018 2:27 PM  
I am resident of a HOA located in Illinois , with a Board that apparently figure this will go away sooner or later with my request of Board meetings to be viewed or copies made. Ok I did the process of sending a request in US Mail , after sometime and hurdles to jump via letters to the Board they finally granted me that of viewing the minutes. Here is where the tricky part is , the By Laws state during"made available during Business hours" . Correct me if I am wrong but aren't Business hours 9:00 am - 5:00Pm , which is when I can view them . I was just notified that no one was available during the day" Business Hours" to allow me to view, they all work. As a note I don't and never have attended any meetings due to my schedule.Thats when they offered me to view them .

Any suggestions on how to get thru this dilemma , additionally I suggested to them I would provide a email to resolve the matter, that went over real big with no answer.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments .

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/12/2018 4:11 PM  
It doesn't sound like you have an MC but individual VOLUNTEER board. Which means very much like they do work for a living during the day. So traditional business ours do not apply. Which are typically 6 am to 6 pm. (Worked in a 24 hour facility for years and this what we considered working time due to time zones).

So I would ask to make arrangement with someone who can take a meeting with you. It may be on the weekend or in the evening. Now if you had an MC then I would expect to be able to observer normal time.

Former HOA President
MichelleK5
(New York)

01/16/2018 8:13 AM  
Business hours are determined by the company, not by what we commonly think of as "business hours." So it's not 9 to 5, or 6 to 6. It's whatever each specific company lists in whatever documents/licenses are required for their business.
And yes, someone from their company is obligated to be available during those hours.
FredG3
(Illinois)

01/16/2018 12:37 PM  
Thank you MichelleK5 - for your feedback , but here is the problem , this is all Volunteer Board and they all work full time supposedly . This is around forty unit association, although the President receives a paid amount for the office not sure what responsibility he has since he is on a payroll.. I have asked the Board since I am unable to attend meetings in the evening , (1. to make copies which I would pay a reasonable fee, (2. asked to send them electronically 3) upon there request send them days and time for a sum total of over 30 day hours and denied of this dates for viewing. Kinda looking for some other suggestions as. My next suggestion and stop me if I am off track on this , but to suggest a most recent President get the authority to do this viewing of the minutes during the day business hours since he is retired anyway and home all day. It almost seems to be a trust issue or something of that order . I would think the President would have a author-ity to appoint a delegate to authority them to carry out a Association Task. I would think it is in the Best interest to avoid any conflict unnecessary to the association. Any constructive thoughts on this matter.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/16/2018 2:27 PM  
Fred

What is your end game? What are you looking for?
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/16/2018 4:30 PM  
Fred,

Three questions:

1) Is the President receiving W-2s?
If not, they need to.

2) Is the President paying their share of assessments or is the "salary" a discount in assessments?
If it's a discount, it's probably a violation of the CC&Rs. Either way, W-2s need to be issued.

3) Is the Association properly witholding taxes and paying their share of taxes as an employer?
If not, this can be a big issue with the IRS (both federal and state).
RichardP13
(California)

01/16/2018 4:34 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 01/16/2018 4:30 PM
Fred,

Three questions:

1) Is the President receiving W-2s?
If not, they need to.

2) Is the President paying their share of assessments or is the "salary" a discount in assessments?
If it's a discount, it's probably a violation of the CC&Rs. Either way, W-2s need to be issued.

3) Is the Association properly witholding taxes and paying their share of taxes as an employer?
If not, this can be a big issue with the IRS (both federal and state).

They could also be 10099 contractors, where the employee is responsible for the taxes.
FredG3
(Illinois)

01/16/2018 8:48 PM  
I will use the last posting to reply to TimB4, RichardP13.
In reference to items 1) President receiving any compensation will be further looked into and the w-2 issue. 2) SALARY or compensation discounting his assessment ( violation CC&R ), also will have to get that answer. 3) Association withholding taxes as an employer , leaving employee responsible to paying taxes.

Understand all this information and now will have to put in motion . Will work on these items and maybe some resolution will get a better outcome form such a uncooperative board.

The last option would have a Lawyer draft a soft letter as a reminder of the By Laws . In reality I would be suing myself if I had it moved to any litigation.

Any Thoughts or constructive criticism appreciated.

Thanks ..........
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/16/2018 8:55 PM  
Just some reference material:

IRS 20 Factor Test – Independent Contractor or Employee?

Understanding Employee vs. Contractor Designation IRS website

Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/16/2018 8:57 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 01/16/2018 4:34 PM

They could also be 10099 contractors, where the employee is responsible for the taxes.

Granted, they could be an independent contractor.
In that case, better have a contract.

Of course, most Association documents I have read requires that the President also be a Director. If this is the case, I think the argument for being an independent contractor is weakened because it can't be filled by just anyone. It has to be filled by a member of the Board.
FredG3
(Illinois)

01/16/2018 9:00 PM  
TimB4 , thank you for the links and will try to find out if independent contractor is the case.

Thank you again
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Illinois HOA Cooperative but Uncooperative about Board Meetings !!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement