Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA board insurance / errors & omissions
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
EricB10
(Pennsylvania)

01/11/2018 2:54 PM  
new member here, I will try to keep this as brief as possible, just looking for some direction or help to the extent it's possible, thanks!

I'm a member of an HOA community in PA with about 200 units. Back in 2008-2012 we underwent a siding project to remove old wooden siding and replace it with a cement type "hardie" board siding. The members of the HOA board at the time oversaw this project as well as the contractors who performed the work. Fast-forward to 2017 and we are now finding that this work was not done correctly due to all sorts of reasons. The underlying house-wrap was not replaced or even used in some areas leaving gaps around doors and windows, flashing was not used in areas, trim was not installed properly, etc. Ultimately we are now finding the structures underneath the new siding are rotting away, and the siding was supposed to last for 20 years!

Ok, so the current HOA board is doing things right: hiring professional firms to assess the damage and moisture, etc and the conclusion everyone came to is that the siding needs to be removed, the structure/rotting wood needs to be corrected, rotting windows and doors replaced, house re-wrapped correctly, and then new siding has to be put back on.

This project will cost approx. $5M dollars or approx. $50k per home.

My question is in regards to the insurance policy the HOA board carries and whether this would cover the damages done by the previous board who obviously didn't know what the heck they were doing on this project back in 2008-2012. Seems like they were negligent in not hiring professionals, or engineers to oversee the work, and now every homeowner is on the hook for $50k. This is in addition to the cost of the work back in 2008, so we're essentially paying 2 times in 5 years for work that should have lasted 20 years!

Any help is appreciated, I'm not sure where to start or how to approach the issue, but I have to think there's some protection in the insurance policy for homeowners like myself who were unaware of how all of this went down.

thanks!
RichardP13
(California)

01/11/2018 3:00 PM  
Have your new Board speak we the current insurance carrier.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/11/2018 3:31 PM  
Doubtful
KerryL1
(California)

01/11/2018 3:56 PM  
Welcome to the forum, Eric. I'm sorry about your problems.

I don't think the previous board is in trouble so long as they practiced due diligence and tried to do the right thing.

We've had, though, a similar situation here and worked with our HOA attorney to possibly sue the contractor for sloppy work, i.e, breach of contract. As in your case problems or defects weren't discovered because they were "covered over" (latent defects) on our high rises, where work is very difficult to supervise in any case. Since our work was done in '12, the statutes of limitation hadn't expired.

But they may have expired in your case. Still you might look into it and provide a complete copy of the signed contract.
EricB10
(Pennsylvania)

01/12/2018 6:27 AM  
thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately, someone has already reviewed the old contracts and they do not specify to use flashing or to re-wrap the house first, etc. They were just general contracts and the supervisor should have said something when over-seeing the work. In addition, all of the companies who did the work were small contractors who are now out of business.

I had a friend who said that a similar situation happened at a boat dock he was keeping his boat at. The dock was aging, so they re-built the docks, then a storm came and destroyed it. They had someone look at the work and found it to be poor, so they used the insurance policy that covered the hoa board to say they hired bad contractors, and the re-build of the dock was covered. That's a simplistic example, I know, but it's what started me to wonder why the insurance policy that covers my HOA wouldn't also cover the houses in my scenario.

To make things more interesting, when I asked the HOA for copies of the insurance policies from those 2008-2012 years, I was told I can come review them, but under no circumstance can I take a copy home with me. When I spoke to the attorney (and others) about that, they all went out of their way to talk me out of even looking at them. (and if I do insist, they're going to make it as difficult as possible for me). That makes me think there's something in there they don't want me to see....

thanks again!

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA board insurance / errors & omissions

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement