Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 17, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Ad Valorem - Property Taxes - Florida
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ToddR4
(Florida)

01/11/2018 10:50 AM  
We are in the process of voting on an 11,000 clubhouse expansion to an existing 6,000 building. I won't bore you with all the drama.

Question - how are property taxes handled when an improvement is made to a common area of this magnitude?

Typically, common areas are not taxed, but nothing is for free. Is the impact distributed via individual property owners tax bills within the community?

We have an inquiry into the local property appraisers to get a proper answer.

Any experiences out there in Florida?
CjC
(Maryland)

01/11/2018 11:04 AM  
Who actually owns the building? The HOA?
ToddR4
(Florida)

01/11/2018 11:14 AM  
Yes, the HOA owns the common areas.
RichardP13
(California)

01/11/2018 11:48 AM  
The homeowners within the association will pay the taxes through improvements to their own property, in this case the common area improvement. In California, the assessed value is generally land and improvements. It also may be itemized on your tax bill under improvements, which may not indicate where the improvement was, local or association.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/11/2018 1:11 PM  
Posted By ToddR4 on 01/11/2018 10:50 AM
We are in the process of voting on an 11,000 clubhouse expansion to an existing 6,000 building. I won't bore you with all the drama.

Question - how are property taxes handled when an improvement is made to a common area of this magnitude?

Typically, common areas are not taxed, but nothing is for free. Is the impact distributed via individual property owners tax bills within the community?

We have an inquiry into the local property appraisers to get a proper answer.

Any experiences out there in Florida?

That is what I call inviting the bear into your camp. Good Luck.

I have no experience in Fl tax law so I'll sit on the sideline and watch this one.
ToddR4
(Florida)

01/11/2018 1:22 PM  
Love the analogy, Doug. Inviting the bear.

The problem is without money and legal representation, you can never ever get a straight answer.

The property appraiser should be able to give an simple answer, but they have to research issue and call us back.

You can't make this stuff up!
DouglasK1
(Florida)

01/11/2018 5:30 PM  
We don't have clubhouse or buildings, but all of our common area tracts are assessed at $100 each (4 in total). Apparently the resulting tax falls below some threshold so we don't actually pay the tax due on the $100 valuation.

I would assume the $100 valuation would be the same no matter what we did on the common area tracts, so expanding a clubhouse would probably not change the association tax. The tax on the lots does not include a surcharge, or any higher ad valorum amount because of the common areas, so I would not expect the owners tax to go up either if we made improvements.

If I find some time, I'll try searching on HOAs with clubhouses here on the county property appraiser site and see if they appear to be handled differently.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

01/11/2018 5:30 PM  
We don't have clubhouse or buildings, but all of our common area tracts are assessed at $100 each (4 in total). Apparently the resulting tax falls below some threshold so we don't actually pay the tax due on the $100 valuation.

I would assume the $100 valuation would be the same no matter what we did on the common area tracts, so expanding a clubhouse would probably not change the association tax. The tax on the lots does not include a surcharge, or any higher ad valorum amount because of the common areas, so I would not expect the owners tax to go up either if we made improvements.

If I find some time, I'll try searching on HOAs with clubhouses here on the county property appraiser site and see if they appear to be handled differently.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/11/2018 6:22 PM  
I would expect that whomever is paying property taxes on the current clubhouse will continue to pay property taxes on the improved clubhouse.

Don't forget to update the property insurance on the clubhouse.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/12/2018 8:33 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 01/11/2018 6:22 PM
I would expect that whomever is paying property taxes on the current clubhouse will continue to pay property taxes on the improved clubhouse.

Don't forget to update the property insurance on the clubhouse.

Makes sense as ownership is not changing.
RichardP13
(California)

01/12/2018 8:49 AM  
Property taxes MUST be collected. Anyone know who is paying those taxes?
PaiN

01/12/2018 9:59 AM  
The HOA, if a common element.

If not, wait for the tax sale
CjC
(Maryland)

01/12/2018 10:20 AM  
If you are a not for profit, do you pay property taxes?
RichardP13
(California)

01/12/2018 10:27 AM  
Posted By PaiN on 01/12/2018 9:59 AM
The HOA, if a common element.

If not, wait for the tax sale

If the HOA is paying the tax, how are they paying? Of all the properties I have managed or been involved with, I have never paid a property tax bill on behalf of my clients.
AllumW
(Florida)

01/12/2018 10:31 AM  
When I checked tax records for the properties in our neighborhood, theres no tax bill due. It shows 0.00 for the past several years.
PaiN

01/12/2018 10:38 AM  
Not the way it works for 'improved' common property in SC.

The 'improvements' themselves are taxed as they are 'real property'.

? Perhaps the OP's improvements were never actually recorded ?

The bear seems welcome
RichardP13
(California)

01/12/2018 10:56 AM  
Posted By PaiN on 01/12/2018 10:38 AM
Not the way it works for 'improved' common property in SC.

The 'improvements' themselves are taxed as they are 'real property'.

? Perhaps the OP's improvements were never actually recorded ?

The bear seems welcome

I have to assume then that the property taxes are a line item on the annual operating budget.
PaiN

01/12/2018 11:44 AM  
yes, they are
GenoS
(Florida)

01/13/2018 12:26 AM  
Posted By ToddR4 on 01/11/2018 10:50 AM

Yes, that is generally how it works. The tax burden for the common property - including your clubhouse - is divided up among the individual tax bills of the homeowners. Your county appraiser should be able to give you some more information.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Ad Valorem - Property Taxes - Florida

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement