Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 18, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Some HOAs give the rest of us a bad name
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JerryD5
(Colorado)

01/10/2018 10:46 AM  
Can you imagine being part of this HOA? https://jalopnik.com/dumbest-hoa-ever-is-allegedly-forcing-residents-to-keep-1821886917

I cant vouch for the site.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/10/2018 1:03 PM  
Considering how keeping one's garage door open (on an attached home at that) is equal to saying "y'all come in and help yourselves to whatever you want", I don't know what that HOA board is thinking.

I'm sure the homeowners ran to the media in a fit over this, but what they really should do is gather together and vote these guys and gals off the board because they seem to have a thing for using a sledgehammer when something a lot smaller would suffice. If they don't, something's wrong with the homeowners (they're the ones who voted in these idiots, after all). How do you penalize everyone for the foolishness of one or two people?????
KerryL1
(California)

01/10/2018 1:58 PM  
I don't comment except when a poster asks us a question. Or offers something useful to help us b leaders in our HOA.
KerryL1
(California)

01/10/2018 1:58 PM  
I don't comment except when a poster asks us a question. Or offers something useful to help us b leaders in our HOA.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/10/2018 2:23 PM  
Yes, yes they do. Doesn't surprise me coming out of California!! LOL.

JerryD5
(Colorado)

01/10/2018 2:30 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 01/10/2018 1:58 PM

I believe there is a question in the very first sentence. Can you imagine being part of this HOA?

DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/10/2018 2:33 PM  

No, you comment twice!!
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/10/2018 2:34 PM  
Sorry, I'm in a strange mood today.
JerryD5
(Colorado)

01/10/2018 2:45 PM  
I only posted the link to draw attention that there are lots of bad HOAs. Of course, we only hear about the really bad ones. This one is absurd for sure. I really don't understand why they would make a rule like that.

This happened in my neighborhood 6 years ago (not my HOA). It made national news too. Ironically, our current mgt company also represents this other HOA so I got the low down from mgt company owner. After the story was picked up by ABC and CNN, the board rescinded their new rule about sidewalk chalk.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/07/sidewalk-chalk-art-against-the-rules-in-stapleton/
RichardP13
(California)

01/10/2018 2:55 PM  
Here is an update!

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article193840519.html
JerryD5
(Colorado)

01/10/2018 3:06 PM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 01/10/2018 2:55 PM
Here is an update!

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article193840519.html

Thanks RichardP13 for the update. What a surprise that they rescinded their new rule so quickly.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/10/2018 3:35 PM  
FYI: They made this rule because one of the owners had leased out their garage space to some people. I am not sure on their exact "legal" status of those people. So the HOA Board decided it was best to have ALL the residents keep open their garage doors to verify it wasn't "extra" living space. It had to be used as a "garage".

Which is kind of funny considering how many posters we have that don't like their HOA enforcing some parking rules. Such as one has to park in their garage and not driveway. How to prove it? By making sure everyone can view it! So sometimes be a bit careful of what you wish for when it comes to rule enforcement. Your HOA may do the same thing if they think your hiding illegals in your garage...

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/10/2018 3:38 PM  
In my opinion, Board should never make a rule or regulation to go after one member.
RichardP13
(California)

01/10/2018 3:49 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/10/2018 3:35 PM
FYI: They made this rule because one of the owners had leased out their garage space to some people. I am not sure on their exact "legal" status of those people. So the HOA Board decided it was best to have ALL the residents keep open their garage doors to verify it wasn't "extra" living space. It had to be used as a "garage".

Which is kind of funny considering how many posters we have that don't like their HOA enforcing some parking rules. Such as one has to park in their garage and not driveway. How to prove it? By making sure everyone can view it! So sometimes be a bit careful of what you wish for when it comes to rule enforcement. Your HOA may do the same thing if they think your hiding illegals in your garage...

ARE YOU REALLY SERIOUS??

I hear enough of that same kind of crap from our White House.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/10/2018 3:54 PM  
Agreed. What had started this whole thing is an owner being busted for the illegal living arrangements. I don't think the HOA was the one that busted them. Believe it may have been law enforcement/Immigration. The HOA board or a chief complaining officer probably went off on a tangent about "How could this happen?" Well they were like "Let's just make sure everyone has to keep their garage doors open during the day so we can make sure it's not being used by vagrants".

How rampant do you think members non-involvement has to be for this stupid rule to have happened? Or the uneducated board they seem to have?

Former HOA President
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/10/2018 3:55 PM  
Melissa, are you involved in an HOA? do you live in a community governed by HOA documents and rules? Is there a reason your sig line says "former"?
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/10/2018 3:57 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/10/2018 3:54 PM
Agreed. What had started this whole thing is an owner being busted for the illegal living arrangements. I don't think the HOA was the one that busted them. Believe it may have been law enforcement/Immigration. The HOA board or a chief complaining officer probably went off on a tangent about "How could this happen?" Well they were like "Let's just make sure everyone has to keep their garage doors open during the day so we can make sure it's not being used by vagrants".

How rampant do you think members non-involvement has to be for this stupid rule to have happened? Or the uneducated board they seem to have?

Illegal? Or against the HOA rules? Huge difference, huge!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/10/2018 3:58 PM  
Well aren't you observant Douglas... I lived in a HOA for several years and ran one. I am now a former President of a HOA but doesn't mean I did not learn a few things in the process. Why waste that just because I moved to another neighborhood next door?

Former HOA President
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/10/2018 4:01 PM  
Illegal as in NOT from this country. I read this on MSN.com last week. That article mentioned the illegal situation. They did not specify if it was illegal via the HOA rules or illegal as in illegal alien. Although it did lean more towards the illegal alien. If it had been the HOA, they would have been more clear on it on why they made that rule.

Former HOA President
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/10/2018 4:10 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/10/2018 3:58 PM
Well aren't you observant Douglas... I lived in a HOA for several years and ran one. I am now a former President of a HOA but doesn't mean I did not learn a few things in the process. Why waste that just because I moved to another neighborhood next door?

I know forums make it hard to get a real feel for people and what they know, but In my opinion you have a lot more to learn, and I'm sure your past neighbors are glad you are gone. I'm certainly sure you are happier since the move.

Example of you needing to learn a little more:

Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/10/2018 4:01 PM
Illegal as in NOT from this country. I read this on MSN.com last week. That article mentioned the illegal situation. They did not specify if it was illegal via the HOA rules or illegal as in illegal alien. Although it did lean more towards the illegal alien. If it had been the HOA, they would have been more clear on it on why they made that rule.

Illegal Status, as in illegal alien, has nothing to do with an HOA. Citizenship is not a requirement for home ownership in this country. This entire thread is about an HOA making a rule about garage doors needing to be open because people were living in a garage. Nothing about illegal, or illegal aliens. Overreaching HOA making the rest of us look bad, period.

Also, I find that term offensive, please refer to them as undocumented persons, thank you. <-- Sarcasm, in case you missed it.
RichardP13
(California)

01/10/2018 4:15 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 01/10/2018 4:10 PM
Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/10/2018 3:58 PM

I know forums make it hard to get a real feel for people and what they know, but In my opinion you have a lot more to learn, and I'm sure your past neighbors are glad you are gone. I'm certainly sure you are happier since the move.

Example of you needing to learn a little more:

Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/10/2018 4:01 PM

Illegal Status, as in illegal alien, has nothing to do with an HOA. Citizenship is not a requirement for home ownership in this country. This entire thread is about an HOA making a rule about garage doors needing to be open because people were living in a garage. Nothing about illegal, or illegal aliens. Overreaching HOA making the rest of us look bad, period.

Also, I find that term offensive, please refer to them as undocumented persons, thank you. <-- Sarcasm, in case you missed it.

AMEN!
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/10/2018 4:18 PM  
I would like to remind everyone to reread what is in the big yellow banner at the top of each page.

This forum is supposed to be a positive place to get together and discuss ideas.
Having differing opinions is one thing.
How some choose to present their differing opinions seems to be less civil on this site every day.
KerryL1
(California)

01/10/2018 5:12 PM  
I agree with you Tim, and it's why I didn't respond in the first place--could see where this'd end up.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/10/2018 5:18 PM  
The point is that the garage is NOT considered living area in a home. It's also NOT to be rented out as living space no matter your legal status in this country. Most HOA's have rules your not allowed to rent individual rooms. An owner was caught violating the rules by some means. The HOA in their response felt it best to make sure this was not happening in other homes. My guess since they could not legally enter the home to investigate, they had it so it would be "Public view". They could then send their MC if they had one to roll by to verify during their working hours. Which would be daytime hours.

As for calling me names, it just proves more and more you can't make your own point. Name calling and insults just distract the fact you can't communicate in an adult mature manner.

Former HOA President
AllumW
(Florida)

01/11/2018 5:22 AM  
I couldn't imagine living in this HOA and glad the board reversed it. This is an impossible rule for working residents to adhere to.
PaiN

01/11/2018 5:49 AM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 01/10/2018 2:34 PM
Sorry, I'm in a strange mood today.

welcome to the club
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/11/2018 1:02 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 01/10/2018 4:18 PM
I would like to remind everyone to reread what is in the big yellow banner at the top of each page.

This forum is supposed to be a positive place to get together and discuss ideas.
How some choose to present their differing opinions seems to be less civil on this site every day.

Thank you Tim. After reading the rules I realize that if I move out of my HOA into a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA, I'm no longer qualified to post on this board. Unless I still volunteer at the old neighborhood...

This is a positive place for community association leaders to share ideas and learn. This forum is for community association Boards, Committees, Volunteers & HOA Professionals to discuss topics concerning their association duties.
RichardP13
(California)

01/11/2018 1:29 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 01/11/2018 1:02 PM

Thank you Tim. After reading the rules I realize that if I move out of my HOA into a neighborhood that doesn't have an HOA, I'm no longer qualified to post on this board. Unless I still volunteer at the old neighborhood...

This is a positive place for community association leaders to share ideas and learn. This forum is for community association Boards, Committees, Volunteers & HOA Professionals to discuss topics concerning their association duties.

Wonder if the rules apply to "former HOA presidents" that no longer live in an HOA and don't work in the HOA industry?

Just wondering......
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/11/2018 3:51 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 01/11/2018 1:02 PM

Douglas,

You should read all of the posting rules:

Topics from individual homeowners, who are not acting as association volunteers, may be addressed if the person has come here to learn in a positive way.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/11/2018 3:56 PM  
I guess I misinterpreted it.I thought "individual Homeowners" referred to Homeowners in an HOA that were not officers, board members or volunteers.....

After reading it again, I still it pertains to members of HOA's.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/11/2018 3:57 PM  
*think
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/11/2018 4:09 PM  
That would be the logical expectation.

Why someone not living within an HOA/COA/POA/etc. would even want to be on this board (unless they are trying to help by sharing experience or learn because they are/may be moving into a HOA/etc.) simply doens't pass the common sense test.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Some HOAs give the rest of us a bad name

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement