Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, July 19, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Erosion of property surrounding lake
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoseV
(Florida)

01/05/2018 5:26 AM  
There is discussion, by the HOA and management, that our community might have to pay for the repair of erosion of home owners property surrounding our man made lakes (retention ponds). However, I feel this isn't the responsibility of the homeowner. These home are valued higher then those not on the water. When sold, they are sold as water front. Should not they be the ones to protect and maintain their own property by any means necessary? If the lake is eating up their property, why should I have to pay? It does not increase my property value but theirs. On the other hand, 10,000 vehicles transit by our neighborhood and what they see are dead trees, dead or missing hedges, lack of mulch. The Irrigation system is broken as well. Now this is a problem that effects everyones property value in our community. Moneys would be well spent here instead.
AugustinD

01/05/2018 6:54 AM  
Do your HOA's governing documents state who has responsibility for maintenance of the lake? If it is the Association that has responsibility for maintenance of the lake, then it is easy to say that legally, the Association has to repair any damage the lake causes. I understand the design of retention ponds typically involves a lot of planning. The erosion problems the lake levels are causing might not be, say, a mere act of nature.
CjC
(Maryland)

01/05/2018 6:58 AM  
Does the HOA own and have a responsibility to maintain the lake? What do the documents say about maintenance?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/05/2018 7:08 AM  
Typically the association is responsible for retention ponds. This means each association member regardless of where they live in the association. I say the association should pay to repair the erosion.
FredS7
(Arizona)

01/05/2018 7:42 AM  
I agree with everybody else.

Maintenance that is the responsibility of the association must be done by the association even if it benefits only one owner.

BenA2
(Texas)

01/05/2018 8:29 AM  
I partly agree with the others. The association probably is responsible for maintaining the lake but that does not mean they are automatically responsible for erosion on private property. It may be in your governing documents but if it is not, I think you have a valid argument. I don't think it is unreasonable for an owner with waterfront property to be responsible for erosion control on their own land.
PestyonE

01/17/2018 3:46 PM  
natural waterfront, river, lake, swale : act of nature, h/o responsible

manmade waterfront, retention pond, drainage ditch : act of owner (in this case association) maker responsible
BillB17
(South Carolina)

01/18/2018 6:52 AM  
You need to check your governing documents. Our community has 14 retention ponds, which are part of our common property and the Association is responsible for their maintenance. However, our governing documents say that each homeowner living on a retention pond is responsible for the maintenance of their property down to the waters edge. In our case, the homeowner would be responsible for the erosion repair.
PestyonE

01/18/2018 9:48 AM  
lawsuit waiting for a time and place

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

01/18/2018 11:49 AM  
Posted By BillB17 on 01/18/2018 6:52 AM
You need to check your governing documents. Our community has 14 retention ponds, which are part of our common property and the Association is responsible for their maintenance. However, our governing documents say that each homeowner living on a retention pond is responsible for the maintenance of their property down to the waters edge. In our case, the homeowner would be responsible for the erosion repair.

Bill

Maintain down to the edge is one thing. Erosion is a separate issue. I say the owner of the pond is responsible to repair any erosion.
JoseV
(Florida)

01/18/2018 1:28 PM  
I want to take this moment to thank everyone for their input. I found some pertinent information in our doc that states: The Association shall be responsible for the maintenance, operation and repairs of the surface water or stormwater management systems. Maintenance of the surface water or stormwater management system shall mean: "the exercise of practices which allow the system to provide DRAINAGE
Next paragraph states: Each lot owner, including builders shall be responsible for the maintenance, operation and repair of the swales on the lot. Maintenance, operation or repair shall mean the exercise of practices , such as mowing and erosion repair etc,
PestyonE

01/18/2018 1:49 PM  
Posted By PestyonE on 01/18/2018 9:48 AM
lawsuit waiting for a time and place

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Erosion of property surrounding lake

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement