Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, October 21, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Acting beyond approved motion
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AdamD1
(Indiana)

01/03/2018 8:49 AM  
The Board entertained a motion naming three individuals to head a arch. request review process study. After much discussion and debate, the motion was approved. Today, the president (whose motion it was) added a fourth individual into the study group via mass email to everyone, an individual whom I have no idea who she is, nor have I ever heard her name mentioned before at any Board meetings.

What does a Board do when a Board member alters an approved motion?
KerryL1
(California)

01/03/2018 10:29 AM  
I would place this person's name on your next regular meeting agenda for possible approval by the Board. It is a new motion. Only the board acting at a meeting may make & approve motions. Neither the president nor any other director may make or amend a board decision without board approval. It does not matter that the prez made the original motion.

Why does the prez think s/he can act arbitrarily and by email???
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/03/2018 2:00 PM  
Posted By AdamD1 on 01/03/2018 8:49 AM

Today, the president (whose motion it was) added a fourth individual into the study group via mass email to everyone, an individual whom I have no idea who she is, nor have I ever heard her name mentioned before at any Board meetings.

Sounds like an action without meeting (AWM).

AWMs require unanimous consent.

Did you agree to the appointment of this person or not?

If you did, then that was your fault.

If you did not, then you need to point out the requirements of an AWM, citing appropriate corporate code and governing documents, to the rest of the Board.
AdamD1
(Indiana)

01/03/2018 2:13 PM  
Was not agreed upon by anyone but the president. Should AWM be used for emergencies? Or would this be a good case to use it? I'm all about openness and transparency and AWM seem to be counter to that. At least from the homeowner perspective!
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/03/2018 2:36 PM  
AWMs, if authorized, should be used for urgent business that can not wait for the next scheduled meeting or for a special meeting of the Board to be called.

Everyone defines urgent differently.
AdamD1
(Indiana)

01/03/2018 3:02 PM  
Our governing documents authorize AWMs and we have used that once or twice in the past, namely for arch. requests. So I see the president doing one of four things....

1. Do not include the additional "add-on" homeowner.
2. AWM
3. Call a Special Meeting for purpose of including this homeowner in the group
4. Wait until the next regular meeting and add the homeowner in as an agenda item

Odds are the president wants it done yesterday, so I'm speculating an AWM will commence very soon.

PaiN

01/03/2018 5:44 PM  
AWMs must be UNANIMOUSLY approved as per 'most' state's corporate law.

D'OH
KerryL1
(California)

01/03/2018 5:58 PM  
I don't see why this can't wait till you next regular meeting. It is NOT an urgent matter.

If the prez tries an AWM, perhaps you & another director will just refuse to consent. This prez sounds sorta power hungry.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/03/2018 7:12 PM  
What Kerry and Tim said. If you're on the board, you and your colleagues need to reign in this guy NOW before he does other freelancing on Association business. Your other posts indicate your community has enough issues with getting thisclose to receivership and apathy up the ying-yang (maybe this is why the president pulled this stunt, thinking no one would notice.)

Given the current temperature in this state(!), I agree you should be able to wait until the next board meeting to address this. Make sure it's on the agenda or bring it up for discussion under new business, if necessary.

After this gets resolved, everyone needs to be reminded of proper procedure. It should be made clear to the president that if he doesn't follow it, the rest of the board may need to consider if he should remain in the position.
AugustinD

01/04/2018 7:50 AM  
Shelia said it perfectly.
KerryL1
(California)

01/04/2018 8:49 AM  
Right on, Sheila!
AdamD1
(Indiana)

01/04/2018 9:30 AM  
I and another Board member reminder prez of proper procedure. Prez just figured we would be okay with the additional member as prez had forgotten her name during the motion and remembered the following day.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/04/2018 9:35 AM  
Posted By AdamD1 on 01/04/2018 9:30 AM
I and another Board member reminder prez of proper procedure. Prez just figured we would be okay with the additional member as prez had forgotten her name during the motion and remembered the following day.

Whatever. I think he remembered everything, but didn't want to admit it. Nonetheless, it appears it's been resolved and all of you are on notice for doing things right. Good luck in the new year!
AdamD1
(Indiana)

01/04/2018 11:36 AM  
I agree about him remembering everything! Trust me on that one!

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Very helpful!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Acting beyond approved motion

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement