Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: No CC & R's, no legal right to due's collection?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GeorgannM
(Louisiana)

12/28/2017 8:07 PM  
My home is in an upscale neighborhood of a retirement community. I was told when I bought the house that there is an HOA and they have billed me for annual dues. But recently I became frustrated with conditions in our subdivision so I did some investigating and discovered they do not have a BOD or CC&R filed at the courthouse. They have collected almost $100,000 over the last 20 years from residents but have never provided a budget or a financial report or had any association meetings. Is this legal?
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/28/2017 8:15 PM  
To determine if the Association has a legal right to collect assessments you will need to seek the advice of an attorney who can do a full records search for any deed restrictions. You will likely need to fight this issue in the courts, another reason to seek out a legal opinion.

If there are no deed restrictions and the streets are public, you may have solid case.

For a solid answer, you will need to ask someone with access to your governing documents, property records and have a good working knowldege of property law.
BenA2
(Texas)

12/28/2017 9:22 PM  
If there are no CC&Rs filed, how do you know they exist? Typically, your title company bases that information on documents filed with the city or county.
GeorgannM
(Louisiana)

12/29/2017 5:46 AM  
We were told at closing there was an HOA and we get an annual dues bill. I talked to the developer, she told me that there are no Cc&R filed at the court house. There is no board and no meetings.
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/29/2017 7:00 AM  
Ignore what people have said.
Go check for yourself (trust but verify).
BenA2
(Texas)

12/29/2017 7:37 AM  
Posted By GeorgannM on 12/29/2017 5:46 AM
We were told at closing there was an HOA and we get an annual dues bill. I talked to the developer, she told me that there are no Cc&R filed at the court house. There is no board and no meetings.

I would definitely talk to an attorney but generally, if CC&Rs exist that say you are responsible for assessments, then you are responsible for them.

It may just be semantics that is causing confusion. Many people use the term HOA for any subdivision that is controlled by CC&Rs and has assessments but you do not have to have an HOA in either case . For example, there is a subdivision near me where the title companies list as having an HOA but one has never existed because it is still under development. HOA is just a generic term that some title companies use whenever there is an assessment and deed restrictions.

DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/29/2017 8:16 AM  
Posted By GeorgannM on 12/29/2017 5:46 AM

If the developer is still in control, then the developer sometimes acts as the board, and no meetings is also common under developer control. I certainly wouldn't take the developers word for there being no recorded documents. In many jurisdictions, CCRs, deed restrictions, etc. are available from the county online. In my county, at the comptroller's office. You should also look up the plat and see if there is anything there.

Tim's advice in his first post is spot on. Certainly if you are considering stopping paying assessments, getting a legal opinion first would be a good idea because it could turn out to be very expensive to find out you were wrong after stopping the payments.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
KerryL1
(California)

12/29/2017 8:30 AM  
I agree with Tim, Ben & Douglas.

In addition, if there is no Board or formal Association, to whom do you ay your dues??
GeorgannM
(Louisiana)

12/29/2017 9:00 AM  
I have checked at the courthouse and there is none. We pay dues to the developer.
GeorgannM
(Louisiana)

12/29/2017 9:02 AM  
And the developer TOLD me there are no CC&R
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/29/2017 11:55 AM  
Posted By GeorgannM on 12/29/2017 9:02 AM
And the developer TOLD me there are no CC&R

Have you asked the developer what authority they have to collect dues?

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
GeorgannM
(Louisiana)

12/29/2017 12:35 PM  
No, not yet.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

12/29/2017 2:12 PM  
you need to talk to an attorney. The laws of your state may vary from those of the people giving opinions here. You may end up in a legal fight with the developer. What worries me is that you are paying the dues to the developer. That means developer controlled to me. That is an entirely different animal!
KerryL1
(California)

12/29/2017 4:44 PM  
I agree with Douglas, Georgeanne.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > No CC & R's, no legal right to due's collection?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement