Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 17, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Community Events - Charging a Vendor Fee
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AllumW
(Florida)

12/27/2017 10:19 AM  
We are thinking of having community events that allow vendors to set up table to sell their wares. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this and charged a vendor fee.

I was thinking that the fee could go back to the event budget to fund other events.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

12/27/2017 11:15 AM  
You could probably do it, but I would discuss it with the association's insurance carrier first, just to see if there are any liability issues you need to be aware of. You should also consider crowd control issues - if it's a community event, I doubt the vendors would only be satisfied with residents attending (they'd likely expect the general public as well.)
LetA
(Nevada)

12/27/2017 11:16 AM  
Posted By AllumW on 12/27/2017 10:19 AM
We are thinking of having community events that allow vendors to set up table to sell their wares. I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this and charged a vendor fee.

I was thinking that the fee could go back to the event budget to fund other events.

Why would you charge a fee? HOA's are supposed to be non profit.
AllumW
(Florida)

12/27/2017 11:59 AM  
Thanks Shelia.

LetA - The fee would be no different than other fees charged by an HOA. It would be fee of use of space for businesses to sell their items. In this case, added back to the event budget for the HOA.

I found a few HOAs in FL that do charge a vendor fee for booth space. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this.
BenA2
(Texas)

12/27/2017 12:56 PM  
Posted By LetA on 12/27/2017 11:16 AM

Why would they give away space for a business? Non-profit does not mean you cannot have income.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/27/2017 1:08 PM  
Posted By BenA2 on 12/27/2017 12:56 PM
Posted By LetA on 12/27/2017 11:16 AM

Why would they give away space for a business? Non-profit does not mean you cannot have income.

I agree with Ben, profit and income are two different things. While most HOA income is typically derived from regular assessments, that doesn't preclude getting income from other sources.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/27/2017 5:21 PM  
It just means that profit could be taxed.

Former HOA President
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

12/28/2017 1:18 PM  
I think you would need to be able to provide a large crowd for a vendor to be willing to pay for a space. I have seen this type of thing work in communities of 3000+ homes, but they are events that have been held for years and attract most of the neighborhood.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/31/2017 2:17 PM  
I'd double check to make sure such a thing was authorized in the association's Articles of Incorporation. It may be, but you should verify that.
PaiN

01/01/2018 6:44 AM  
If events are open to non members it MAY make the association a 'place of public accommodation' subject to ALL the requirements of the ADA.
AllumW
(Florida)

01/02/2018 5:08 AM  
Thanks everyone. All good information. We're a community of over 800 homes and we're trying to get started with having events. I was throwing the idea out there of way to invite vendors - in the neighborhood or outside - and get community involvement.

We're still developer run and don't plan on charging anyone for the spring event we're planning. I'm just gathering information now.

I did check our documents and there isn't anything in there that would prohibit us doing this.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/02/2018 8:12 AM  
the biggest concern has been mentioned.

If you are inviting the public, then you need to be in compliance with ADA - basically handicap ramps/parking/entrances.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/02/2018 3:28 PM  
Your still developer run? That may be an issue. They kind of own the place. So you may want to check with them before proceeding. Especially if you had plans to charge money. That money would NOT have been going to the HOA. It goes to the developer's pocket who still own the HOA. It's a different animal once it becomes owners owned.

Former HOA President
AllumW
(Florida)

01/03/2018 4:36 AM  
Thanks Melissa - Like i said, we don't plan on charging anyone for the spring event. I'm just asking now to see if anyone had done something like this to plan for the future.
GreggT
(Florida)

01/03/2018 5:32 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 12/27/2017 5:21 PM

It would not be considered profit if used to offset other expenses in the budget.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/03/2018 7:08 AM  
Posted By GreggT on 01/03/2018 5:32 AM
Posted By MelissaP1 on 12/27/2017 5:21 PM

It would not be considered profit if used to offset other expenses in the budget.

Doesn't matter. If it came from a source other then assessments, it's taxable income filing 1120-H
PaiN

01/03/2018 7:38 AM  
..... excluding the first $100 (total for year) .....

CjC
(Maryland)

01/03/2018 9:35 AM  
We are a large community and have weekly summer concerts. We attract many hundred of our community members and we have vendors. They do rent space. Some are candle and jewelry and many are desserts and food trucks. The events are technically for members and guests only and the funds we receive offset the expense of the band. We also have a very large stage set up and seasonal sponsors. Its it a set up that has worked for at least 4-5 years that I can remember.
PaiN

01/03/2018 10:04 AM  
..... The events are technically for members and guests only .....

PERFECT
AllumW
(Florida)

01/03/2018 11:10 AM  
Posted By CjC on 01/03/2018 9:35 AM
We are a large community and have weekly summer concerts. We attract many hundred of our community members and we have vendors. They do rent space. Some are candle and jewelry and many are desserts and food trucks. The events are technically for members and guests only and the funds we receive offset the expense of the band. We also have a very large stage set up and seasonal sponsors. Its it a set up that has worked for at least 4-5 years that I can remember.

Thank you CjC - This is awesome info. I think our neighborhood would like to do something like this in the future.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/03/2018 2:05 PM  
Cj,

How are the funds handled (deposited into operating accounts, given to the band directly, etc.)?
CjC
(Maryland)

01/04/2018 9:41 AM  
As far as I know, the funds are deposited to our accounts. It's a line item in our budget as income.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Community Events - Charging a Vendor Fee

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement