Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, October 18, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Expectations for HOA audit
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidF22
(New York)

12/23/2017 2:58 PM  
I was wondering if the typical HOA audit would address practices that aren’t necessarily accounting-related, but could still have a financial impact on the community. For example, should auditors address a Board’s practice of signing no-bid, long-term contracts that may not be in the best financial interests of the community? Should it be noted in the audit if the Board is violating state law by not having a conflict of interest policy and not requiring directors to sign disclosure statements as to whether they’ve had personal/business dealings with HOA vendors?

Our state comptroller typically goes into this detail in auditing procedures of our local school boards, but I don’t know whether it would be inside the scope of responsibility for an HOA audit. I couldn’t find an appropriate thread to answer this question, so I’m asking here. Thanks.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/23/2017 4:41 PM  
So if I hired a contractor in my personal life that did good work, I can't recommend hiring them to our HOA board? Would that violate some kind of law to you? I've read some of your posts and find that sometimes your not seeing the forest for the trees. If there is a no-bid policy going on, it's because of the practice put into place. My HOA I initiated the 3 bid rule. However, other HOA's who are managed by a MC it may be they allow the MC to do no-bids or their own choice for contractors. I can't criticized their process if that is what was agreed upon per contract with the MC.

It's almost like you want to find fault with your board for every decision it does. Sometimes we need to step back and breath. Audits are a good resource to make sure issues are addressed that are out of the norm. They don't make changes or put anyone in jail. They just make one aware of the situation so then one can make corrections.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/24/2017 5:55 AM  
David,

Auditors check the books and the internal financial controls (who does what, who has custody of what, who can do what).

They do not evaluate contracts to see if there was or wasn't something better available.
They do not evaluate how contracts are awarded.

See: What an Auditor Does and Doesn’t Do
DavidF22
(New York)

12/24/2017 9:00 AM  
Thanks for your straightforward response, Tim. It’s very helpful. And thanks, too, for refraining from the trolling, condescending and judgmental responses that some others seem to relish on here.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Expectations for HOA audit

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement