Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Meeting problems
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/12/2017 5:40 AM  
Okay I really thought the last time I was here everthing was starting to get corrected .Boy was I wrong ,so the PMC sent us a letter stating about elections and an annual meeting .
This was sent around the 1st of October .On another forum I placed some posts and got replies and thought great surely we have a meeting planned .Well I got busy and did not give to much thought until some of the people who had responded asked when is this meeting .
I did not reply because I did not know ,I waited for the hoa secretary to respond and she said I don't know .

Now the CC&R and Bylwas state notice to be given not more than 60 days and not less than 15 days .

Well this is technically the last full week of November and nothing will be scheduled next week on that I would be 99% certain .Which then brings us to the 60 day thing which is also coming up.

I tried to help with when and where but seems it went no where .

I do not like this seems that the pmc and president and v president want only what they want and we are to bend at will to them and I do not belive this is right or fair .

I am not sure if I could get a meeting on my own without the 3 I mentioned or not .
I just know that the time available is getting down to the wire and I am at a loss if I can do anything about it
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/12/2017 7:05 AM  
So are you starting to see how hard it is to run a HOA? If your having the problems, you can bet your bottom dollars others can have the same. It's not unique and it happens. Those who can rise above and not let things get in their way succeed in their goals in the end.

Former HOA President
GenoS
(Florida)

11/12/2017 12:24 PM  
A meeting "Notice" is what you should have been looking for. Not a "letter" or a "paper".
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/13/2017 7:56 PM  
If the HOA is not being ran as you and other neighbors want with proper meetings ... then you all need to ban together and call a special meeting and replace the Board. However, you need to be sure and have yourself and others willing to step up to the plate and be willing to take on the positions and responsibility!!! I am pretty sure on other posts we have let you know links regarding your State Statutes and if you have read them you know what steps to take. To whine at us many times over the same issue is not going to change your current situation. That situation is something only YOU and your fellow other homeowners can change.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 9:58 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 11/13/2017 7:56 PM
If the HOA is not being ran as you and other neighbors want with proper meetings ... then you all need to ban together and call a special meeting and replace the Board. However, you need to be sure and have yourself and others willing to step up to the plate and be willing to take on the positions and responsibility!!! I am pretty sure on other posts we have let you know links regarding your State Statutes and if you have read them you know what steps to take. To whine at us many times over the same issue is not going to change your current situation. That situation is something only YOU and your fellow other homeowners can change.

Of course now they made a date but they threw out all the input that was given to them .The majority wanted a weekend early morning meeting . Yet they threw our regards to the wind and planned it on a weeknight at a later evening time ,which was what the majorit did not want .Do to coming home later ,kids and school work and or activities the kids may do .
They probably hope no one comes so they can continue to not do anything .

I am fed up with the lot of them and never ever want to go to a place run by an hoa .
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/15/2017 10:13 AM  
Lori

Do you now having a meeting date, time, and location?

All will ever be happy with a meeting date, time, place so you are no exception.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 10:16 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 11/15/2017 10:13 AM
Lori

Do you now having a meeting date, time, and location?

All will ever be happy with a meeting date, time, place so you are no exception.

As I have been informed informally about it ,not formally as in a letter stating its fact .

On a weeknight at 6:30-8:30 ( which is awful time ,means I doubt we would have a quorum and yeah I will try to get some proxies if they will let me ) .

DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/15/2017 12:21 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/15/2017 10:16 AM

As I have been informed informally about it ,not formally as in a letter stating its fact .

On a weeknight at 6:30-8:30 ( which is awful time ,means I doubt we would have a quorum and yeah I will try to get some proxies if they will let me ) .

Just out of curiosity, when do think would be a better time? We have all of our meetings on weekday evenings at 7:00. Unless you are a retirement community, weekdays during the day would really be awful, since very few people will take off work to attend. Weekends are also difficult because people want to do things that don't include hanging around the house waiting for an HOA meeting.
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/15/2017 12:26 PM  
..... I am fed up with the lot of them and never ever want to go to a place run by an hoa . .....

When will you be moving ?

110%
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 12:36 PM  
Posted By DouglasK1 on 11/15/2017 12:21 PM
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/15/2017 10:16 AM

Just out of curiosity, when do think would be a better time? We have all of our meetings on weekday evenings at 7:00. Unless you are a retirement community, weekdays during the day would really be awful, since very few people will take off work to attend. Weekends are also difficult because people want to do things that don't include hanging around the house waiting for an HOA meeting.

I did a survey poll out of those who replied they all said Saturday early am would have been the best time ,because they would be more avaidable to come to the meeting .They all told me that weekday not getting home till late kids and school work etc.. that a Saturday morning early would be the best because you get it out of the way early and have the rest of the day to do whatever was needed
GenoS
(Florida)

11/15/2017 3:49 PM  
A meeting of the members should not be treated so lightly. It shouldn't be something you "get out of the way" so you can enjoy the rest of your day. It's a rare event for which much preparation has been done. Ours is always on a weekday evening and it's always a topic for discussion for days leading up to it. When you and those you polled control the board then you will have the ability to set the meeting's date and time however you see fit.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/15/2017 3:51 PM  
Lori wants the meeting when she wants it.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 3:56 PM  
You failed to read where I said I took a poll on it .I asked them when ,where ,day ,time ,is best for them to go to a meeting . Evening is not what the others said they wanted do to what time they get home one person mentioned they don't get home till all most 7 pm .Not even factoring in dinner or people who need to help a child with home work .

Evenings people are going to be more tired not looking forward to a 2 hour meeting on a week night ,not the same as going to a sports event which is much more exciting .

I am saying I asked because I was asked to ask and then they throw out the work I did because THEY want it they way the way they want it .
GenoS
(Florida)

11/15/2017 3:58 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 11/15/2017 3:51 PM
Lori wants the meeting when she wants it.

In my opinion, a members meeting is something you arrange the rest of your schedule around, not something you try to fit in with all your other planned activities. It is a business meeting, after all. Give someone your proxy if you can't do that.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 4:01 PM  
I hate driving in the daark but I will do my best to get to the meeting BECAUSE neither the PMC nor the current interm president or vice president return emails or messages . I also plan to try and bring a boat load of proxies with me ,because the pmc has to go ,and am not pleased with the president or vp for that matter
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 4:02 PM  
I also want to bring the proxies because I highly doubt there will be much of a turn out .I also am not sure it is right of them to say if you aren't going to let us know .
GenoS
(Florida)

11/15/2017 4:41 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/15/2017 4:01 PM
I hate driving in the daark but I will do my best to get to the meeting BECAUSE neither the PMC nor the current interm president or vice president return emails or messages . I also plan to try and bring a boat load of proxies with me ,because the pmc has to go ,and am not pleased with the president or vp for that matter

I'm glad you are going. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think you will accomplish anything you hope to at the meeting. But you WILL learn a lot and that's a step along the road to getting a better understanding of the situation.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/15/2017 4:44 PM  
I am unsure what is going to happen . If there is nothing going to change at least I tried and will be so ready to move come next year .
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/15/2017 9:51 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/15/2017 9:58 AM
Posted By JanetB2 on 11/13/2017 7:56 PM

Of course now they made a date but they threw out all the input that was given to them .The majority wanted a weekend early morning meeting . Yet they threw our regards to the wind and planned it on a weeknight at a later evening time ,which was what the majorit did not want .Do to coming home later ,kids and school work and or activities the kids may do .
They probably hope no one comes so they can continue to not do anything .

I am fed up with the lot of them and never ever want to go to a place run by an hoa .

Of course they threw out any input which had been given to them .... because they are considering your group a pain in the butt at this time wanting change ... when they are not wanting change. Your mistake was giving them any information they could use to their benefit. You have to exercise patience and play their game to a certain extent until the owners wanting change can take control.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/16/2017 7:28 AM  

Lori

You often put the cart before the horse. The BOD hires the PM. In order to change PM's you have to change the BOD who hires them. You cannot change the PM no matter how many proxies or whatever's asking for a change. Only the BOD can make the change.

I expect at that meeting you will get hung-up about the PM and you will be looked upon as a nut job.

Work on replacing existing BOD Members with new BOD Members that will fire the PM.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/16/2017 7:55 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 11/16/2017 7:28 AM

Lori

You often put the cart before the horse. The BOD hires the PM. In order to change PM's you have to change the BOD who hires them. You cannot change the PM no matter how many proxies or whatever's asking for a change. Only the BOD can make the change.

I expect at that meeting you will get hung-up about the PM and you will be looked upon as a nut job.

Work on replacing existing BOD Members with new BOD Members that will fire the PM.

We do not have a BOD ,the secretary of our hoa asked ,and was told no we do not have one and we do not need one .What we have is a property manager which has been here since forever ,and until I snuck my nose in he was head ruler over everything and doing nothing . Now all we have is the secretary of our hoa and a vice president and a interm president appointed by the pmc .

Since this is suppose to include voting on who should be on the hoa I assume that if I collect proxies from those who are not able to attend ,and have given me the right to vote in their place .I would assume that he who has the most proxies could and would be the new president and with those rights can send current pmc to the curb .Like what happened to the other side of us ( we are one subdivision with 2 different presidents and 2 different cc&r and all that ) .They terminated notice to the pmc which is ours also and they are usuing a new one .) The president on that side keeps asking when are you dumping them because then she says what all is wrong over here .I agree with her and I tried to talk to the ones over here ,and I have one on my side and no answer from the other 2 . I have not yet asked others because I am not sure who all is owners vs renters .When the letters come and they should be here soon ,then I will probably ask them then .
TimM11

11/16/2017 9:50 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 11/15/2017 3:49 PM
A meeting of the members should not be treated so lightly. It shouldn't be something you "get out of the way" so you can enjoy the rest of your day. It's a rare event for which much preparation has been done. Ours is always on a weekday evening and it's always a topic for discussion for days leading up to it. When you and those you polled control the board then you will have the ability to set the meeting's date and time however you see fit.

We're definitely more casual about them in our HOA, though we always make sure we do what's required. Our annual meetings are usually done in an hour, maybe 90 minutes tops if there's a lot to talk about. We always give homeowners as much time as they want to speak or bring up issues, and they do, but nobody wants to be there all night, either. Our MC handles most of the prep; as BOD members we mainly just show up.
KerryL1
(California)

11/16/2017 11:49 AM  
Usually, as explained to you in the past, the homeowners do not elect officers like the prez., etc. They elect a board of directors. The new board of directors choose from among themselves who'll be the officers.

You also have quoted your bylaws to us elsewhere and some have pointed out that your HOA most certainly is supposed to have a board of directors.

Like most other HOAs our annual meeting is on a weekday evening. Just one reason is our contract with our Mgmt. Co. calls for overtime pay for our Prop. Mgr. if she works on Friday nights - sunday night. The main reason, though, is that weekday nights are when we hold our board meetings too, one a night most convenient for most directors. It's at board meetings that owners bring up issues during the CA-required open forum, so the annual meeting is solely the election of directors, not a gripe session.

LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/16/2017 12:13 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/16/2017 11:49 AM
Usually, as explained to you in the past, the homeowners do not elect officers like the prez., etc. They elect a board of directors. The new board of directors choose from among themselves who'll be the officers.

You also have quoted your bylaws to us elsewhere and some have pointed out that your HOA most certainly is supposed to have a board of directors.

Like most other HOAs our annual meeting is on a weekday evening. Just one reason is our contract with our Mgmt. Co. calls for overtime pay for our Prop. Mgr. if she works on Friday nights - sunday night. The main reason, though, is that weekday nights are when we hold our board meetings too, one a night most convenient for most directors. It's at board meetings that owners bring up issues during the CA-required open forum, so the annual meeting is solely the election of directors, not a gripe session.

Well ours is messed up .I have been here for 3 years ,during this time they have had 4 meetings .The very first one was organized by the owners .At that time not one person here knew anything other than we had to send payments to the pmc .We knew nothing else because the then president never did or say anything so we did not even know there was one let alone who it was .
As far as a contract no one knows anything about that either the hoa secretary even inquired about contracts the pmc as well as the landscapers and even asked for a list of all owners .She never got them .
As the last so called election there was not a quorum the pmc elected the president but the other positions were based on anyone who volunteered .
Yes the CC&R and bylaws state what we are suppose to do and have but they are not followed and good luck getting anyone to respond to questions .One time one of them responded by blowing up no one knew why because it was a just a question .That question was how do you contact the president or vice president of the hoa .Yeah really a big question which got a reply of why you asking and other things which I will not go in to here .
This would be the first election that I would be able to see since the last time they had one I was on bed rest do to a major surgery a few days before .
We have all ready had one person say they cannot make it do to a child being in a band that has to play that night .
I imagine that if there is any other children who are in this band or play will also not be able to attend .

To be honest the very first meeting which I and another person got together to find out what was going on was the best attended one ,which was held in the morning on a Saturday in March I believe .Since then attendance is sporadic and never had one at night .
Anyway there is a lot wrong and no one seems to care other than a handful
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/16/2017 12:13 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/16/2017 11:49 AM

Well ours is messed up .I have been here for 3 years ,during this time they have had 4 meetings .The very first one was organized by the owners .At that time not one person here knew anything other than we had to send payments to the pmc .We knew nothing else because the then president never did or say anything so we did not even know there was one let alone who it was .
As far as a contract no one knows anything about that either the hoa secretary even inquired about contracts the pmc as well as the landscapers and even asked for a list of all owners .She never got them .
As the last so called election there was not a quorum the pmc elected the president but the other positions were based on anyone who volunteered .
Yes the CC&R and bylaws state what we are suppose to do and have but they are not followed and good luck getting anyone to respond to questions .One time one of them responded by blowing up no one knew why because it was a just a question .That question was how do you contact the president or vice president of the hoa .Yeah really a big question which got a reply of why you asking and other things which I will not go in to here .
This would be the first election that I would be able to see since the last time they had one I was on bed rest do to a major surgery a few days before .
We have all ready had one person say they cannot make it do to a child being in a band that has to play that night .
I imagine that if there is any other children who are in this band or play will also not be able to attend .

To be honest the very first meeting which I and another person got together to find out what was going on was the best attended one ,which was held in the morning on a Saturday in March I believe .Since then attendance is sporadic and never had one at night .
Anyway there is a lot wrong and no one seems to care other than a handful
CjC
(Maryland)

11/16/2017 12:24 PM  
I would read your documents, but it is VERY unusual for a management company to appoint a president. Our election of officers is spelled out and that would never fly.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/16/2017 12:28 PM  
It is an intern position as I have been told .I also was not able to be there on the day it happened . There is a lot wrong going on in here and nothing much surprises me any more
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/16/2017 3:56 PM  
Posted By CjC on 11/16/2017 12:24 PM
I would read your documents, but it is VERY unusual for a management company to appoint a president. Our election of officers is spelled out and that would never fly.

Agreed, but Lori is really not on top of how things work. She keeps saying there is at least a President and Secretary but she keeps saying there is not a BOD. Sounds like a BOD to me. She has no idea, wrongly of rightly, how they got there. She just does not understand nor like what she sees.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement