Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Livestock
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/09/2017 2:57 PM  
Paininyourass, john, PITA, or whatever you're going by now....

Since we had a discussion about trucks, and trucks of any type, and etc....

If the covenant says:

"No Livestock"

Or

"No Livestock of any kind"

What would be the difference? Please define each statement.

Others are also welcome to comment.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/09/2017 3:35 PM  
IF it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck... Now if it speaks Canadian it's a Canadian Goose...

Former HOA President
AugustinD

11/09/2017 4:27 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 11/09/2017 2:57 PM

If the covenant says: "No Livestock" Or "No Livestock of any kind"

What would be the difference? Please define each statement.

I think the larger problem might be defining "livestock." When is an animal livestock and when is it a family pet (or perhaps both)? Could a large neighborhood association with two acre lots prohibit "livestock," including pet goats that are used to provide a HOA member (and goat owner) with milk? I think the more ambiguous the restriction, the more likely it is a court would rule in favor of free enjoyment of property. Here's a fun case (as long as you do not live at the HOA in question) that discusses this:
https://financenewmexico.org/articles/general-business-advice/court-ruling-shows-covenants-will-be-interpreted-narrowly/
LetA
(Nevada)

11/09/2017 9:48 PM  
I got to love the PITA people that buy a home in a HOA then they want to make everyone else's lives MISERABLE.
It's bad enough that people that can't handle the word NO has PTSD and they require a therapy animal. Do they chose a fluffy wuffy wittle kitten or a PUP PPY?
NOooooooooo, they chose a pot bellied pig, a horse goat. Then there are those separate jerks that rent that engage in cock fighting. Neighbors a woken up
at the but crack of dawn to eeeerrrrt eeeeerrrrrt errrrrrtttt doooooooo. Annnnnnnnnnnnd then there are the save the planet types that raise chickens in the back yard
for eggs and for food.

If we had politicians and Judges with a spine, and would learn to say the word NO!
So you want a horse for a therapy animal? You live in a development that is not zoned for livestock, move to a rural area and you can have a horse, stay in your
densely populated home and, NO you cannot have a horse.

I myself would love to raise chickens in my 19'x44' backyard, chickens are allot less noisy than roosters, but I'm not zoned for it and the CC&R's say #3LL NO!
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/09/2017 11:37 PM  
Posted By LetA on 11/09/2017 9:48 PM

If we had politicians and Judges with a spine, and would learn to say the word NO!
Agree ... That is potentially a problem ... LOL especially for the politicians.

I myself would love to raise chickens in my 19'x44' backyard, chickens are allot less noisy than roosters, but I'm not zoned for it and the CC&R's say #3LL NO!
Move to my local city ... they passed legislation a few years ago to allow six (6) chickens per home. Of course an HOA CCR's can say no or limit if they amended their CCR's to disagree with the City Ordinance. So far to my knowledge not many are fighting owners having their chickens.

GenoS
(Florida)

11/10/2017 12:29 AM  
Wait, let me guess.... His new HOA includes "reindeer" in the definition of "livestock" but Santa contends that his "miniarure reindeer" are something else entirely, amiright?
TimM11

11/10/2017 6:22 AM  
I'd say it depends on what your city/township/county/etc defines as livestock. Mine spells out exactly what is allowed in residential vs agricultural zones, though they're now allowing chickens on some residential properties with a permit. I believe they're starting to do this with pigs as well. Of course, an HOA can still supercede that.
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/10/2017 7:15 AM  
already @ 100%

OUT
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/10/2017 2:04 PM  
Posted By PaininyourA on 11/10/2017 7:15 AM
already @ 100%

OUT

Chicken.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/10/2017 2:13 PM  
Here's the deal. Our CC&R's say "no livestock of any kind". One of our residents, who has been there for 30+ years and has also been on the Board before, asked me (current president) if I would put rabbits and chickens to a vote at the next members meetings, since modifying to allow all livestock is no where near having enough support to pass. We have tried it twice and don't get half the votes needed.

We are not in a city, and we are zoned for livestock. I contacted the county for a legal description of "livestock". I explained the situation and told them I wanted something I could take into court if needed. They replied back, after several months and several deferments, that the county defines livestock as Cows, horses, goats, sheep and swine. They specifically said in the email that Chickens and Rabbits are not livestock.

So, this resident could have been raising rabbits and chickens all along. To restrict it would require a vote to amend the restrictions to say "Chickens and Rabbits included".

Since there is not mention of Chickens and Rabbits in the covenants, it is not an HOA issue.

I did say that if we started to receive complaints for odors and noise we would probably have to act, but even then I'm sure what we could do other than refer them to the county ordinance department.

Thoughts?
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/10/2017 3:36 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 11/10/2017 2:13 PM
Here's the deal. Our CC&R's say "no livestock of any kind". One of our residents, who has been there for 30+ years and has also been on the Board before, asked me (current president) if I would put rabbits and chickens to a vote at the next members meetings, since modifying to allow all livestock is no where near having enough support to pass. We have tried it twice and don't get half the votes needed.

We are not in a city, and we are zoned for livestock. I contacted the county for a legal description of "livestock". I explained the situation and told them I wanted something I could take into court if needed. They replied back, after several months and several deferments, that the county defines livestock as Cows, horses, goats, sheep and swine. They specifically said in the email that Chickens and Rabbits are not livestock.

So, this resident could have been raising rabbits and chickens all along. To restrict it would require a vote to amend the restrictions to say "Chickens and Rabbits included".

Since there is not mention of Chickens and Rabbits in the covenants, it is not an HOA issue.

I did say that if we started to receive complaints for odors and noise we would probably have to act, but even then I'm sure what we could do other than refer them to the county ordinance department.

Thoughts?

YEP, but, permitted
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/10/2017 3:48 PM  
https://youtu.be/-JPqhIc5cF4
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/10/2017 4:28 PM  
Posted By PaininyourA on 11/10/2017 3:48 PM
https://youtu.be/-JPqhIc5cF4

LOL!
TimM11

11/10/2017 7:25 PM  
Well, if the jurisdiction you're in doesn't define them as livestock, then they're not livestock. If people want to prohibit them, the CCRs would need to be amended to specifically say so.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/10/2017 10:09 PM  

Thoughts?

If you are not in the City and zoned for livestock the same as my current subdivision. I would go with the County Ordinance to deal with the headache. It is like many HOA's requiring all dogs must be on a leash ... even though all cities, counties, etc. already have laws stating the same. However, when the HOA has it in their documents they supercede the local laws with regards to liability. I am a firm believer in leaving the legal liability to handle non-compliance with the local government who has "trained" personnel to handle potential vicious animals or other animal issues via their "Animal Control Departments" . YEP ... the BOD when get a complaint can say "please provide where in our CCR's it states the HOA regulates animals" ... if you have a complaint here is the telephone number to the Local Animal Control who has trained professionals to handle.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/10/2017 11:49 PM  
Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling this was an easy one.

We are very lucky in that our CC&R's are very small with only a few rules. They were written back in the 60's originally and refiled in 94 with a small change. So, for all these years the folks living here could have been raising rabbits and chickens and just didn't know it. However, I'm sure that as little as ten years ago there would have been plenty of affirmative votes change the cc&r's to prohibit them. The neighborhood went through a huge change when the housing market crashed. A lot more of us "live and let live" type living here now!!
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/15/2017 2:27 PM  
Douglas,

From 'my' CCRs:

Section 5. Animals. No animals, livestock, or poultry of any kind shall be kept or
maintained on any property or in any dwelling except that dogs, cats or other household pets may
be kept or maintained provided they are not kept or maintained for commercial purposes and
provided they are not permitted to run unleashed on or about the Properties. Homeowners are
required to pick up after their pets. Failure to do so will result in a fine in accordance with
ARTICLE X, Section 3. No household may have more than two (2) pets.

'May' be what '....of any type' attempted to convey / may not
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/15/2017 2:28 PM  
Let the debate about the number of permitted Goldfish begin
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/15/2017 3:43 PM  
Posted By PaininyourA on 11/15/2017 2:28 PM

47...give or take 10
GenoS
(Florida)

11/15/2017 3:54 PM  
This emotional support squirrel is certainly not livestock.
JerryD5
(Colorado)

11/15/2017 4:40 PM  
Our city allows chickens and ducks (no roosters; max number is 8 in any combination). They also allow 2 goats. They also define what livestock is. So we had to adjust our rules to prohibit any animal as defined by the city. We included chickens, ducks and goats. We had to do that because one of our residents was running a chicken breeding operation inside her house. Yes, inside her house. Not her garage but her actual house with 2 young kids. But of course, on sunny/warm days she brought them outside to a common space she shared with her neighbors. All attempts to talk with the homeowner was met with obstinance. We put our new rules in and she fought them with all of her being. She lost and the rules went into effect. It was the most tumultuous time in our young HOA existence. Her and her husband sued the HOA (over a different issue) and lost. They ended up paying all of our costs to the tune of $2300. Every since then, no more chickens and she focuses her attention else where.
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/16/2017 6:09 AM  
..... when a dog chased the squirrel up a tree, WFLA-TV .....

Why was the squirrel (while outside the 'unit') not on a leash under the owner's control ?
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/16/2017 6:11 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 11/15/2017 3:43 PM
Posted By PaininyourA on 11/15/2017 2:28 PM

47...give or take 10

I hope the bowl is not a visible eyesore or nuisance.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

11/17/2017 7:47 AM  

Thoughts?

An HOA has no obligation to follow the definition established by any governmental body (unfortunately).

If an HOA wanted to classify hermit crabs or pet rocks as "livestock" there is no stopping them.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/17/2017 3:33 PM  
Posted By DaveD3 on 11/17/2017 7:47 AM

Thoughts?

An HOA has no obligation to follow the definition established by any governmental body (unfortunately).

If an HOA wanted to classify hermit crabs or pet rocks as "livestock" there is no stopping them.

Agreed. At this point in time our CC&R's do not contain a definition of Livestock. So we will use the legal definition I received from the county.

From the county-
Douglas,
In Arizona, the Department of Ag has livestock defined as cattle, equine, sheep, goats and swine. For the most part this is recognized by cities and counties, yet they may have different zoning requirements for various animals. You would have to check with your local city or county to see what animals are permitted in the zone where you are living. I hope this answers your question.

My reply-

I think it does. I'll give you a little more info as to why I ask. I am the President of an HOA. We have 20 properties and they are all approximately 1.5 acres. We are located in an unincorporated area of Maricopa county. We are Zoned RU43.

The Covenant restrictions say "no livestock". We have an elderly couple living here that would like to have chickens and rabbits. I want to allow it but needed that "definition" of what livestock is in case we get flack from other residents.

Thank you! I think this info will help.

From the county-

Douglas,
Neither of those are considered livestock in our regs and if your HOA was written to exclude livestock and these would be allowed in the unicorporated area, it would seem they could keep rabbits and poultry, yet that would be up to you. Take care and have a great fall.[b/]

I'm pretty confident that should a legal challenge happen, we've got it covered.
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/18/2017 6:15 AM  
... as in hidden? ...
JenniferB14
(Colorado)

11/21/2017 9:58 PM  
what if a newly amended covenant says "no other farm animals" but does not define farm animals? Also household pets are allowed but that is also not defined? All animals are allowed per the zoning.Farm animals is only defined by the Dept of Agriculture that I can find.... the covenant does not refer to livestock at all.
MichelleK5
(New York)

11/22/2017 6:29 AM  
My rural town allows livestock, my HOA does not.
It considers livestock any animal that falls under the towns definition of "livestock", and/or any animal kept for the purpose of producing a product for personal, or commercial use.

It also doesn't allow home based businesses. Example; someone can actually get fined twice if they have chickens (one for having chickens), then for selling the eggs out of their home (business.)

But, if someone bought one chicken for the sole purpose of having it as a pet, then there's nothing my HOA could do.

My towns definition of livestock:
Livestock and livestock products, including cattle, sheep, hogs, goats, horses, poultry, llamas, ratites, such as ostriches, emus, rheas and kiwis, farmed deer, farmed buffalo, fur bearing animals, milk and milk products, eggs, furs, and poultry products.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/22/2017 4:25 PM  
Posted By JenniferB14 on 11/21/2017 9:58 PM
what if a newly amended covenant says "no other farm animals" but does not define farm animals? Also household pets are allowed but that is also not defined? All animals are allowed per the zoning.Farm animals is only defined by the Dept of Agriculture that I can find.... the covenant does not refer to livestock at all.

Is there a specific question you wish to ask?

If our covenants were worded like that, chickens and rabbits would not be allowed. I can't see myself standing in front of a judge saying chickens and rabbits are not farm animals. Same thing with household pets. If you think a judge will agree that a chicken or rooster is a household pet, good luck. Pot belly pigs are very popular as household pets. I can see a judge agreeing with that. That being said, if they define "household pets" to be dogs and cats, rodents and fish, then that is what you get.

DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/22/2017 4:27 PM  
Posted By MichelleK5 on 11/22/2017 6:29 AM
My rural town allows livestock, my HOA does not.
It considers livestock any animal that falls under the towns definition of "livestock", and/or any animal kept for the purpose of producing a product for personal, or commercial use.

It also doesn't allow home based businesses. Example; someone can actually get fined twice if they have chickens (one for having chickens), then for selling the eggs out of their home (business.)

But, if someone bought one chicken for the sole purpose of having it as a pet, then there's nothing my HOA could do.

My towns definition of livestock:
Livestock and livestock products, including cattle, sheep, hogs, goats, horses, poultry, llamas, ratites, such as ostriches, emus, rheas and kiwis, farmed deer, farmed buffalo, fur bearing animals, milk and milk products, eggs, furs, and poultry products.

One of us is reading it wrong. The town says "poultry" is considered "livestock" and your HOA has a ban on Livestock. That means no chickens. Doesn't matter if it is a pet or not.
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

11/22/2017 7:29 PM  
Live stock:

stock which is alive

as opposed to my 'pet rock'

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement