Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Cable contract
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LV
(South Carolina)

11/08/2017 10:33 AM  
Just some advice,

We have a cable basic service package that is being paid for currently by the HOA at a monthly per home cost. There are 600 homes that the HOA pays a monthly fee and is covered in HOA fees. We are coming up on contract renewal and we are looking to understand if its worth it.

Basically, we pay a monthly fee per home whether they have the provider or not. The provider cannot tell us in our bill where the discount is applied currently. My contention is that if they can't tell us where the discount is, then its just giving away money to a cable provider for free. Am I wrong? The folks who have bundles already have locked in rates, etc and have a discount. We already have homeowners who don't use this provider at all. Just looking to do the right thing and not sign a contract where we are giving away money to a cable provider for free. It equates to more than 60k/year. Please advise.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/08/2017 10:42 AM  
If this is getting too expensive for the HOA, I'd consider dropping the service. Having cable TV isn't nearly as important as roof repair, street repaving or mowing the lawn - those are services that are better suited for HOA assessments. Besides many people are cutting the cord altogether and going with internet TV services.

Since the board is considering it, why not poll the homeowners and see what they want to do? Show them the numbers - it costs X amount a year or X amount per home, but X number of homeowners don't use it, so the association is losing money. Better to drop the contract and let everyone contact the cable company themselves as to what package works for them.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2017 11:03 AM  
I like Sheila's idea about polling Owners about what they want.

But, as she also wrote, many folks are cutting the cord, so why should everyone in an HOA pay for cable service? Even in our high rise condo, each Owner has their own cable provider that they each pay for.
CarlJ2
(Texas)

11/08/2017 12:02 PM  
I would object to a forced cable contract. I would much rather have control over that. I'd try to lobby the HOA to dump the service entirely.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/08/2017 4:31 PM  
Posted By CarlJ2 on 11/08/2017 12:02 PM
I would object to a forced cable contract. I would much rather have control over that. I'd try to lobby the HOA to dump the service entirely.

I agree.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/08/2017 6:31 PM  
At 60K per year ... I am with Sheila and the guys. I would rather as a homeowner make my own choice regarding television.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/08/2017 6:34 PM  
Having said that ... it is a good price for 600 homes, depending on what is provided. $60,000 / 600 = $100 per home per year.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/09/2017 11:58 AM  
I too would recommend polling each homeowner. I am assuming you are in a condo-townhome HOA?
Since a vast majority of people are now streaming their content, having cable service appears to be moot.
Have you considered installing rooftop antennas so people can get just local broadcasts?
TimM11

11/09/2017 12:00 PM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 11/08/2017 6:34 PM
Having said that ... it is a good price for 600 homes, depending on what is provided. $60,000 / 600 = $100 per home per year.

But it sounds like it's just a discount, not the actual price of the service. At least, that's the impression I had.

Personally, I wouldn't want my HOA to do this, for the reasons others have said.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/09/2017 1:10 PM  
Posted By TimM11 on 11/09/2017 12:00 PM
Posted By JanetB2 on 11/08/2017 6:34 PM

But it sounds like it's just a discount, not the actual price of the service. At least, that's the impression I had.

Personally, I wouldn't want my HOA to do this, for the reasons others have said.

The OP stated is for cable basic service. Potentially if owners would want more than just the basic, they are to just pay the difference between the package choices ... if the cable company is calculating correctly. If any owners are paying the full price for any package they chose without the basic paid by the HOA for their property being deducted to reduce their bill, they potentially have overpaid.
GreggT
(Florida)

11/10/2017 6:01 AM  
It looks like Basic Service is just around a hundred dollars a year, a great deal. Our condo complex pays around $30.00 a month for expanded basic plus HBO. Here at my house, we pay $102.00 a month for the same service except no HBO (HBO would be another $15.00 for a total of $117.00). Just personally I'm not will to give up $87.00 a month just to say I have "Personal Control".
TimM11

11/10/2017 6:38 AM  
Posted By GreggT on 11/10/2017 6:01 AM
It looks like Basic Service is just around a hundred dollars a year, a great deal. Our condo complex pays around $30.00 a month for expanded basic plus HBO. Here at my house, we pay $102.00 a month for the same service except no HBO (HBO would be another $15.00 for a total of $117.00). Just personally I'm not will to give up $87.00 a month just to say I have "Personal Control".

*shrug* I'm a "cord cutter", so even cheap basic cable would have no value to me. I have a $30 Roku and a few streaming services, and that's good enough for my needs. I know everyone's preferences are different.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/11/2017 1:49 AM  
Personally, I don't like such agreements.

If the Association needs internet service, then they should simply contract for themselves.

That said, I do understand the benefits, especially in high rise condos, that such a contract can have. However, if the building is designed properly with cables ran to one central location, then any provider could hook up to any unit.
GreggT
(Florida)

11/11/2017 5:10 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 11/11/2017 1:49 AM
Personally, I don't like such agreements.

If the Association needs internet service, then they should simply contract for themselves.

That said, I do understand the benefits, especially in high rise condos, that such a contract can have. However, if the building is designed properly with cables ran to one central location, then any provider could hook up to any unit.

They certainly can.......At a much higher price monthly fee.
KerryL1
(California)

11/11/2017 7:00 PM  
We have a high-speed internet provider whom we let wire our twin high rise condos so that any of us can subscribe if we choose. Our board approved this in exchange for them providing free service to our managers and security staff.

TV is on each Owner, & there are too many personal preference choices for one size to fit all 200+, which now includes many cord cutters, and which'll include my spouse & me soon.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

11/12/2017 12:26 PM  
The cost per unit is $8.33 per month for basic service. Is the a good discount for your area? Are there other discounts for additional services? It seems like a good deal and something you should try to keep if the services can be flexible.
PatF4
(Illinois)

11/13/2017 6:35 AM  
We've found that our bill has been steadily on the rise over the last 3 years and for a 50 unit complex we are paying just north of $27,000. We have elected to bring bulk high speed internet to the building and cancel the cable. This will save us over $10,000 annually and will bring the owners a more useful service as opposed to basic cable.
LV
(South Carolina)

11/14/2017 1:45 PM  
This is a single family residence community and not condo/townhome.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/15/2017 8:33 PM  
Posted By LV on 11/14/2017 1:45 PM
This is a single family residence community and not condo/townhome.

What do your CCR's state regarding the HOA providing this service?
LV
(South Carolina)

11/16/2017 12:06 PM  
There is no mention in CCRs for cable contract. This was something done with the developer and now they want to re-up which i don't believe is a good idea.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/16/2017 3:35 PM  
I might could understand a cable contract for a multi unit building if for no other reason then to help cover the costs of wiring such a building. For a standalone homes association (such as ours) I so no validity for such a contract even if it brings some services in below a single purchaser price.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/17/2017 12:53 AM  
I think you're right, LV. Cable companies are shedding customers at a prodigious rate and are desperate to staunch the bleeding. I'd want to see every last penny of cost breakdown, including the regular rate and the discounted rate being offered. Get them to divulge all the taxes, fees and surcharges, too.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement