Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Painted Driveways
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MaritzaP
(Florida)

11/06/2017 3:52 PM  
I am a Board member in a Florida HOA. I need opinions, facts, etc. on painted driveways and stamped cement.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/06/2017 4:02 PM  
That's probably too broad - how many driveways, what colors might you be interested in - or is all this related to what specific homeowners want to do? You and your board need to do some research on the subject, perhaps by talking to different contractors, polling your homeowners to see what they'd be interested in, visiting communities with painted driveways and discussing how long the job took and maintenance, etc.

Once you get some knowledge, you can formulate specific questions and then bring them to this site. Have fun!
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/06/2017 4:36 PM  
I think the question is more do you allow such? We would not but I know plenty of HOA's that do. There are a myriad of such so near impossible to define what is allowed. Best the requests be handled one at a time. Me, I want a giant pair of bxxxs stamped in my concrete driveway.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/06/2017 5:22 PM  
That is yet another thing to manage and approve. Considering maintenance can be an issue with painting. At what point does one need to repaint? Plus I would be concerned about the mismatch of it all. Unless the HOA says "All driveways will be stamped/painted" then your going to have a piece match issue.

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/06/2017 7:03 PM  
I understand the desire to paint concrete. I don't agree with it but I see the benefits (covers stains, seals the concrete, etc.). If an Association can come up with specific colors and brands of paint (to make sure the shade of the color matches) I don't see an issue.

Someone asked about when should it be painted. Same as a home, when it shows wear.

Regarding stamping concrete (which also includes coloring) I think this can add a lot of character to a home if done right. The problem becomes the fact that what is considered right is a judgement call.

All of this, in my opinion, boils down to what color scheme does the community desire.

My suggestion, deny the request initially but take the issue to the membership to see if they want this within the development. i.e. Take a poll.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/06/2017 7:26 PM  
Painted and stamped driveways.

Since allot of those homes in Florida worship the color salmon pink, I would get the BOD together with the ARC committee and set some guidelines
and color palets to keep things uniform.
I have not heard of concrete stamping, but a popular add on to driveways is a company out of Cleveland, Ohio called Nature Stone.
They can custom finish any driveway with epoxy resin stone that would make any hovel on Scoval avenue look like a mansion on 5th avenue.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/07/2017 8:03 PM  
Nothing screams "trailer park" like painted driveways.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2017 11:17 AM  
About 12 years ago in a Santa Cruz CA non-HOA, we had a stamped driveway installed. It's a lot more attractive than the plain cement driveways that the other homes on our street have, and it's held up very well.

These can be done in many color choices, so your HOA Board of ARC, Maritza, would want to choose very carefully and, I'd say, only allow a two-color pallet max.

I know nothing about paint driveways, but they sound unattractive.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/08/2017 7:55 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/08/2017 11:17 AM
About 12 years ago in a Santa Cruz CA non-HOA, we had a stamped driveway installed. It's a lot more attractive than the plain cement driveways that the other homes on our street have, and it's held up very well.

These can be done in many color choices, so your HOA Board of ARC, Maritza, would want to choose very carefully and, I'd say, only allow a two-color pallet max.

I know nothing about paint driveways, but they sound unattractive.

By a "stamped" driveway, do you mean pavers?
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/08/2017 8:33 PM  
From a contractors site:

Stamped concrete is essentially concrete which has been poured over a level surface and, while still wet, stamped to mimic a brick pattern or other design. Oftentimes, primary colors followed by an accent color are added to the concrete mixture which is then stamped with a polyurethane stamp.

Here is a different contractors site for more info.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement