Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Picking up after your doog
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AlexM1
(Oklahoma)

11/03/2017 4:54 PM  
Does anyone have a very good wording to put in a newsletter expanding on the subject of people who do not pick up after their pet when at a condo complex?... We have had that subject in our newsletter many times but just does not seem to sink in... I am at wits end in finding wording that will hit and hit hard to the residents.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/03/2017 5:35 PM  
Alex,

Regardless of how notices are worded, there are those that won't pick up after their pet.

This may be because they are engaged in conversation or electronics (phones/mp3 players/etc.) and are simply unaware their pet did anything.

This may be that they ran out or did't bring bags to pick things up with.

This may be that it's children walking the animal and aren't thinking about being courteous.

This may be that there are physical limitations preventing this from happening.

This may be simply because some people are jerks and could care less how their actions (or inactions) affect others besides themselves.

Bottom line, signage and articles are nice reminders but simply won't work for everyone.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/03/2017 6:15 PM  
Posted By AlexM1 on 11/03/2017 4:54 PM
Does anyone have a very good wording to put in a newsletter expanding on the subject of people who do not pick up after their pet when at a condo complex?... We have had that subject in our newsletter many times but just does not seem to sink in... I am at wits end in finding wording that will hit and hit hard to the residents.

Take a picture of the poop, and put that in the newsletter.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/03/2017 6:18 PM  

Fine the POOP out of the offenders. Start at $50. for the first offense and repeat and frequent offenses result in $1000.00 fines

I have no problem watching someone let their dog drop a loaf on my lawn, I'll bag it and drop it on their front doorstep, I've done it before and I'll keep doing it.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/03/2017 7:03 PM  
Our county has ordinances regarding picking up of pet waste, we cite those and encourage anybody who sees violators to contact the animal control department.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/03/2017 11:23 PM  

This is a big problem everywhere that never goes away. I've seen past minutes of my HOA's board meetings through the years and every couple of months someone is complaining about dog poop. There are no magic words that will fix the problem. I suggest residents take pictures and levy hefty fines for violations.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/04/2017 5:58 AM  
I say dog messes on common property should fall under the responsibility of the association and be a fine-able offense. A situation of messes on an association member's lawn is not an HOA issue. It is a private neighbor to neighbor issue.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/04/2017 11:54 AM  
Say-

: We have notified dog owners in the past about cleaning up after their pets to no avail. So the BOD is going to vote on a rule that all dogs and cats on the premises must be DNA tested. Then droppings will be tested and the owner of the offending pet will be fined and will also pay for the DNA test.

Attach a flyer referencing this website:

https://www.easy-dna.com/dog-poop-dna-testing/

Or, just pay someone to pick up the poo. There's usually kids that will do it for a fee.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/04/2017 1:39 PM  
Paying kids is probably cheaper. Until they pick up some kind of disease or vermin. Does workman's comp cover minors?

DNA testing seems extreme and expensive, but it the situation is bad enough I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the fines were steep enough to cover a number of tests where the poop will be from an animal not on file.
KerryL1
(California)

11/04/2017 3:14 PM  
So, Alex, does your HOA have an actual rule about this problem? And, if so, can the unit owner be called to a hearing and fined for the violation?

In our condo HOA, which only has interior short corridors, elevators and lobbies, and exterior hardscape and raised planters, there's an immediate call to hearing and $100 fine for the first violation. Thereafter, fines may double. Violations are exceedingly rare
AlexM1
(Oklahoma)

11/04/2017 4:00 PM  
toKerry L
The problem is (one of the problems) that we do not know who the owner is
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/04/2017 8:52 PM  
Posted By AlexM1 on 11/04/2017 4:00 PM
toKerry L
The problem is (one of the problems) that we do not know who the owner is

That is the huge problem with this issue ... it is easier now than in past because many individuals have cameras on their cell phones. Therefore, if anyone can catch the perpetrator via photo or video ... then the Board can Fine the tar out of them as long as you have such rules in place. Unfortunately you cannot act on any he said or she said issues, but a picture is worth ALOT.
KerryL1
(California)

11/04/2017 9:13 PM  
Good pint by Janet. but, Alex, DOES your HOA have rules & a fine schedule about this issue?????
TimM11

11/05/2017 1:42 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 11/04/2017 11:54 AM
Say-

: We have notified dog owners in the past about cleaning up after their pets to no avail. So the BOD is going to vote on a rule that all dogs and cats on the premises must be DNA tested. Then droppings will be tested and the owner of the offending pet will be fined and will also pay for the DNA test.

Attach a flyer referencing this website:

https://www.easy-dna.com/dog-poop-dna-testing/

They have a disclaimer, though, which states the following:

"It is important to remember that this test is meant for local police departments, businesses, and community groups. It is not available for private use between feuding neighbours or the like."

So the question becomes whether or not you are a community group, or a bunch of feuding neighbors.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/06/2017 2:37 PM  
HOA = Community group.

JoyceR2
(Virginia)

11/08/2017 9:34 AM  
Need a rule> that if the dog is creating a nuisance the animal can be removed from the property. You would need proof.

Might consider camera's in common areas where this happens most often.
TimM11

11/08/2017 10:34 AM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 11/06/2017 2:37 PM
HOA = Community group.

Depends on how they are defining it. Some cities have officially recognized community/neighborhood organizations that are separate from HOAs. But perhaps they are including HOAs in this too.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Picking up after your doog

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement