Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Halloween
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AndrewJ3
(Florida)

11/02/2017 1:01 PM  
Quick question.
Does a HOA have the power to control what Halloween hours for Trick or Treating are?
If they can't enforce that can you please provide the rule that says so, thanks!

Notes:
•In Florida
•Roads in the neighborhood are public
•If you need anymore info let me know.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/02/2017 1:38 PM  
It's not something a HOA or anyone living in/out of a HOA controls. Trick or Treating is usually acceptable to be from sundown till around 9 pm latest. No "rules" accept what the city may have in place for curfews. Some cities have a 10 pm curfew on teenagers.

Our HOA I threw a Halloween party. Had all the kids meet at the clubhouse. We have them go all out together so everyone knew those kids were HOA members kids. Once that group passed then they could decide to turn off their front porch light. Otherwise they could bring the candy or themselves to the clubhouse.

As long as I have Trick or Treated, as long as you leave your front porch light on, your going to get the kiddies.

Former HOA President
FredS7
(Arizona)

11/02/2017 2:09 PM  
Seems to me a CITY can't "control" Halloween hours. I don't see how an HOA can if your streets are public. (If not public, I suppose in principle you could limit access by outsiders).

All the CIT does is to recommend. Sensible parents would adhere to recommendations both for safety and productivity reasons.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/02/2017 3:03 PM  
Posted By AndrewJ3 on 11/02/2017 1:01 PM

If they can't enforce that can you please provide the rule that says so, thanks!

Wrong question.

Ask them under what authority are setting curfew for pedestrians on public roads.
AdamD
(Indiana)

11/02/2017 5:14 PM  
In my HOA, streets are public and we live in the county. Our county sets Trick or Treating hours between 5:30 and 8:30 pm.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/02/2017 7:19 PM  
We have no set hours in our gated community with private roads. We do demand to see their papers, though.
CarlJ2
(Texas)

11/03/2017 8:24 PM  
I thought an HOA could forbid anyone from walking on their roads for any reason? Otherwise, the age restricted communities won't work.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/03/2017 9:10 PM  
Posted By CarlJ2 on 11/03/2017 8:24 PM
I thought an HOA could forbid anyone from walking on their roads for any reason? Otherwise, the age restricted communities won't work.

Single family homes in gated HOA's have some leadway Condos however, especially low, mid and high rise have all the power in the world to ban
the little beggars from roaming the halls.

The condo tower I guarded at held a Halloween party in the party room.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/04/2017 5:51 AM  
Posted By CarlJ2 on 11/03/2017 8:24 PM

If the streets/sidewalks are private as in owned by the association, then non owner use can be banned.

Where some get confused is if the streets are public but members of the association signed Covenants banning street parking, then that ban stands for the association members.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/04/2017 6:12 AM  
I think the word "Private" and "Exclusive use" of HOA property can confuse. We say "Private roads" really to indicate that they do not fall under "Public use". The roads are "Exclusively own/maintained" by the HOA. It doesn't necessarily make them "Private". Meaning exclusive use of the roads apply to the HOA members.

So one can't tell another members in a "private" street you can't walk past my house on that strip of road because it's private. You can instead restrict/limit use to those who are part of the public. Considering renters/residents would not fall under the public.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. Private roads doesn't equate to complete closing off to the public. It just means that public resources are not used or applied to them.

Former HOA President
MichelleK5
(New York)

11/04/2017 9:23 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 11/04/2017 6:12 AM
I think the word "Private" and "Exclusive use" of HOA property can confuse. We say "Private roads" really to indicate that they do not fall under "Public use". The roads are "Exclusively own/maintained" by the HOA. It doesn't necessarily make them "Private". Meaning exclusive use of the roads apply to the HOA members.

So one can't tell another members in a "private" street you can't walk past my house on that strip of road because it's private. You can instead restrict/limit use to those who are part of the public. Considering renters/residents would not fall under the public.

Hope that makes some kind of sense. Private roads doesn't equate to complete closing off to the public. It just means that public resources are not used or applied to them.

Melissa, I'm not following you-

As far as I know, a private road is just that, private. It's not owned by the town or county. In that regard, the private entity who owns the road, absolutely has the right to decide who can access it (aside from easements, or any arrangements they have with the town of course). So if they choose to close it off to the public, they're absolutely within their right to do so.

One of the roads within my HOA is private and leads to a property within the HOA. It's a dead end and doesn't go anywhere but that house.
The HOA members do not have a right to use it, nor does the public. The family who owns the one home on that road maintains it.
KerryL1
(California)

11/04/2017 3:25 PM  
"Exclusive use common areas" also is known as "limited use common areas." It refers to certain aspects of the HOA that only can be used by the individual owner, e.g., my condo balcony and my condo's deeded parking spaces. It does not mean as Melissa is trying to define it, e.g., streets or sidewalks that any resident in the HOA may use.

JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/04/2017 8:45 PM  
Posted By AndrewJ3 on 11/02/2017 1:01 PM
Quick question.
Does a HOA have the power to control what Halloween hours for Trick or Treating are? NO ... for public streets as you have noted below. Also, even if you are private streets and not GATED community limited access, potentiall the answer would also be NO.
If they can't enforce that can you please provide the rule that says so, thanks! The rule is ... Common Sense!!! The only entity who can make laws and regulations for "public property" owned by any local government .. is the local government.

Notes:
•In Florida
•Roads in the neighborhood are public. HOA cannot ban PUBLIC roads as noted above for Trick or Treat on Halloween..
•If you need anymore info let me know.

Simple as noted above ... DONE!
AndrewJ3
(Florida)

11/04/2017 9:10 PM  
Thank you everyone for the great feedback! It has helped me so much!!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement