Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA & elections and some other things
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/02/2017 6:38 AM  
I recently ran a poll and post on our neighborhood forum .I asked what stops them from coming to meetings? Was it driving off site and if so how far would you be willing to travel ? Was it do to the day and or time they make it at ?

I did not get a lot of replies ( why that is I don't know ,I know not everyone is on the forum but a good bunch are ).

I got some responses I'd say the majority said they did not come because they cannot do it in the evening on a weekday as many do not get home till 6 or later .
They said a weekend morning or afternoon would serve better .

Now I relayed the info to the hoa secretary and she supposedly mentioned it to the president and v president .

I waited a day or so and asked if they have made nay head way on when the meeting which should have been planned and or done by now ,if there was any thing set .

She said they are looking at a evening on a weekday .
I replied that I did not think it was a good idea because of the feed back I had gotten .

She said well I don't know .

I am strongly thinking of running for the hoa myself ,because I do not like the way most of the current ones on it are not very good with communication .

I am unsure how to run for a position ,there are many things I would like to see done ( #1 get rid of current pmc ) #2 get things running like are in the bylaws and CC&R .

Is this normal that pmc and president and vice president on hoa just do not communicate ? I hear oh so and so is so busy with work and etc... Yet I hear that oh they want to stay on but is it not like people on regular elections who get in and then want to stay but do nothing .

According to the CC&R and Bylaws the elections are suppose to be by secret ballot but from what I was told the last and only time since we have been here they did not do this .The pmc just picked someone and the others just volunteered .

Since the pmc pretty much refuses to speak with me ( in person on phone or email) I am not sure he will actually run the elections right .
I feel its corrupt and do not know how and if I can change it .I don't know where to even start

DrC1
(South Carolina)

11/02/2017 6:46 AM  
Many HOA's are getting with the times and holding teleconferencing meetings, and software exist that you can have both audio and video capabilities. An option.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/02/2017 6:48 AM  
Posted By DrC1 on 11/02/2017 6:46 AM
Many HOA's are getting with the times and holding teleconferencing meetings, and software exist that you can have both audio and video capabilities. An option.

That is an interesting option I will look into it thank you
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

11/02/2017 4:56 PM  
Posted By DrC1 on 11/02/2017 6:46 AM

Not in a state that requires open meetings and a location listed on the meeting notice.
GenoS
(Florida)

11/02/2017 7:11 PM  
Posted By GeorgeR8 on 11/02/2017 4:56 PM
Not in a state that requires open meetings and a location listed on the meeting notice.

Florida requires those things and we have a director who skypes in from the northeast for many board meetings. As long as the remote participants can hear and be heard by the rest of the attendees, it's fine. One guy using Facetime or Skype to participate in the meeting is easy. Several remote participants, though, cause the setup and logistics to become exponentially more difficult.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/02/2017 7:26 PM  
I would have to look more into it .I don't know what is allowed here .Just saying that they are picking a time which is really not great for people to try and get to .
ArtL1
(Florida)

11/03/2017 5:42 AM  
Do your bylaws allow for use of proxies in the (annual?) meeting of the members in which the board is elected? If so, the vast majority of members don't need to attend the meeting. You just need to get out there and collect a boat load of proxies.

As for virtual meetings, I know my HOA (in FL) has had board meetings via conference call. I don't think that would be practical for a members meeting at which you wanted to hold a vote on anything.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

11/03/2017 11:16 AM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/02/2017 6:38 AM
I recently ran a poll and post on our neighborhood forum .I asked what stops them from coming to meetings? Was it driving off site and if so how far would you be willing to travel ? Was it do to the day and or time they make it at ?

I did not get a lot of replies ( why that is I don't know ,I know not everyone is on the forum but a good bunch are ).

I got some responses I'd say the majority said they did not come because they cannot do it in the evening on a weekday as many do not get home till 6 or later .
They said a weekend morning or afternoon would serve better .

Now I relayed the info to the hoa secretary and she supposedly mentioned it to the president and v president .

I waited a day or so and asked if they have made nay head way on when the meeting which should have been planned and or done by now ,if there was any thing set .

She said they are looking at a evening on a weekday .
I replied that I did not think it was a good idea because of the feed back I had gotten .

She said well I don't know .

I am strongly thinking of running for the hoa myself ,because I do not like the way most of the current ones on it are not very good with communication .

I am unsure how to run for a position ,there are many things I would like to see done ( #1 get rid of current pmc ) #2 get things running like are in the bylaws and CC&R .

Is this normal that pmc and president and vice president on hoa just do not communicate ? I hear oh so and so is so busy with work and etc... Yet I hear that oh they want to stay on but is it not like people on regular elections who get in and then want to stay but do nothing .

According to the CC&R and Bylaws the elections are suppose to be by secret ballot but from what I was told the last and only time since we have been here they did not do this .The pmc just picked someone and the others just volunteered .

Since the pmc pretty much refuses to speak with me ( in person on phone or email) I am not sure he will actually run the elections right .
I feel its corrupt and do not know how and if I can change it .I don't know where to even start

And when you get the meeting scheduled for a weekend people won't show up because:

1. It's my days off to relax.
2. I go fishing.
3. I go camping.
4. I go to church.
5. We have our family picnic.
6. .....
7. .....
8. .....

Apathy is a killer.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/03/2017 2:26 PM  
Posted By ArtL1 on 11/03/2017 5:42 AM
Do your bylaws allow for use of proxies in the (annual?) meeting of the members in which the board is elected? If so, the vast majority of members don't need to attend the meeting. You just need to get out there and collect a boat load of proxies.

As for virtual meetings, I know my HOA (in FL) has had board meetings via conference call. I don't think that would be practical for a members meeting at which you wanted to hold a vote on anything.

Yes they allow proxies and I will try and get as many as I can .Now I would just wait till something is sent out and then try to get the proxies ? I am assuming that they will ( as far as owner occupied ) will be sent a letter with the proxy form in it and then I get them to either make it out and let me take it to the meeting if they do not plan on attending .

Is proxy forms the same as the quorum they need to have for a meeting to be not postponed ?
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/03/2017 2:32 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/03/2017 2:26 PM

Is proxy forms the same as the quorum they need to have for a meeting to be not postponed ?

A proxy form designates an individual or the Board to serve as the members representative at the meeting and authorizes them to cast a vote on the members behalf.

A quorum is the minimal number of owners (lots) that must be present (in person or by proxy) in order to conduct business.

If you attend the meeting and have 10 proxy forms identifying you as a members representative you should receive 11 ballots (1 for each proxy plus one for yourself) and you would count as representing 11 lots toward meeting the quorum.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/03/2017 2:37 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 11/03/2017 2:32 PM
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/03/2017 2:26 PM

A proxy form designates an individual or the Board to serve as the members representative at the meeting and authorizes them to cast a vote on the members behalf.

A quorum is the minimal number of owners (lots) that must be present (in person or by proxy) in order to conduct business.

If you attend the meeting and have 10 proxy forms identifying you as a members representative you should receive 11 ballots (1 for each proxy plus one for yourself) and you would count as representing 11 lots toward meeting the quorum.

Thank you

One last question ( at least for now )

So this meeting is also to elect people to the hoa since at least the president was only an interim appointed by the pmc .
Now if I get proxies from those who are not able or do not want to attend ,can the ones I have be used toward the election say if I decided to try and get on the hoa ?
I am seriously considering it and since I was not able to attend the one and only time they did the elections I have no idea how they actually do it .I just want to make sure because I do not want the pmc to start into is legal word play and me not know how to respond if I needed to
Thanks again for your help
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/03/2017 2:49 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 11/03/2017 2:37 PM

One last question ( at least for now )
Now if I get proxies from those who are not able or do not want to attend ,can the ones I have be used toward the election say if I decided to try and get on the hoa ?

Emphassis added:

Posted By TimB4 on 11/03/2017 2:32 PM

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/03/2017 7:29 PM  
Proxies can be General or Specific, or a combination of both.

GENERAL PROXY: Assigned to a person (the Proxy holder) and allows them to vote any way they desire on anything or anybody. Vote it as you see fit.

SPECIFIC PROXY: Assigned to a person (the Proxy holder) and directs them how to vote. Vost as designated such as Yes on this, No on that, etc.

COMBINATION PROXY: ASSIGNED TO A PERSON (the Proxy holder) and directs them to vote specific ways on things or for people but also allows them to vote on other voting matters any way they desire to vote. Vote Yes on this, No on that. Vote any way you want to on other things.

One other note and a catchy one on Proxies. The latest dated one, no matter how many one signed before, is the one that counts. You sign a Proxy saying No to something or someone on October 1st but sign another saying Yes to something or someone on October 2nd, the October 2nd one counts which is a Yes to something or someone.

Typically Proxy do count toward a Quorum not matter how they are voted.

Typically one can hold more then one Proxy as explained earlier.

Typically a BOD wanting to stay in power will send a Proxy asking you to sign and return it return with wording allowing them to vote as they desire. See the above about the latest Proxy counting.

Proxy can be tricky but I personally love them as they can give me control.

Had a few drinks. Hope I explained them properly. If not, someone will jump on me......LOL
CarlJ2
(Texas)

11/03/2017 8:44 PM  
I have the opposite of Apathy; I have dread. I'm simply too afraid of what my HOA might try to do if I'm not there to at least try and speak up.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/04/2017 7:59 PM  
Posted By CarlJ2 on 11/03/2017 8:44 PM
I have the opposite of Apathy; I have dread. I'm simply too afraid of what my HOA might try to do if I'm not there to at least try and speak up.

LOL ... that is not opposite apathy ... that is POWER ... In any HOA Knowledge is Power!!! If you are there at meetings to know and be aware of any an all items ... makes it harder to sneak around behind your back! You are doing awesome!!!!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA & elections and some other things

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement