Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Meetings
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/27/2017 6:35 AM  
So we got a paper from the pmc saying we would have the annual meeting .No date was given now I heard where they wanted to have it was supposedly booked .( we have no clubhouse or any place inside to meet on the property ).
Now I hear they still want to have it but I think it will be hard to have a meeting in the evening outside .The weather is starting to turn colder and I cannot see having a product meeting outside .

Now several ( the pmc and the president and vice president ) are stating if you hold it away from the area no one will come.

So my question does anyone here meet outside their subdivision ?

I checked some places but can't see paying 300 for an hour .
The Library has rooms but since I am not able to see what dates are available and I am not sure of an exact date and or time I have not investigated further .( the price was reasonable just unsure if the date and time are )

Last 2 meetings were held outside one was May so hot by noon and the other I think late October or early part of November so windy so cold and people had brought kids and dogs so not much business could be really done because it was a mess .

I am seriously thinking of maybe trying to have a meet and greet minus the pmc but am not sure when I could do it or where I could do it .My house is not large enough to handle to many people .
AugustinD

10/27/2017 6:46 AM  
See if your City Hall or a local elementary school will rent you space inexpensively. This worked well with my former HOA.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/27/2017 6:51 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 10/27/2017 6:46 AM
See if your City Hall or a local elementary school will rent you space inexpensively. This worked well with my former HOA.

Thank you I will check city hall .I know they tried the schools but no luck with them .
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/27/2017 6:54 AM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 10/27/2017 6:35 AM

So my question does anyone here meet outside their subdivision ?

We use the elementary school. They provide the space for free.
TimM11

10/27/2017 6:57 AM  
We always meet offsite for our annual meeting. We rent a room in a community center; I think it comes to $100-$150 or so. Before that we met at a nearby school.
AllumW
(Florida)

10/27/2017 7:00 AM  
We meet at the library nearest our subdivision. Our library website has a section where you can schedule meetings but you need to have a library card. It's free here.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/27/2017 7:01 AM  
Just checked city hall does not rent rooms ,but the park and rec has some .I just got off the phone and the fee was not to bad ,just not sure if they will go for it or not .

The schools were supposedly booked and they charged anyway .
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/27/2017 7:02 AM  
Posted By AllumW on 10/27/2017 7:00 AM
We meet at the library nearest our subdivision. Our library website has a section where you can schedule meetings but you need to have a library card. It's free here.

Ours is 20 dollars for 4 hours .The park and rec place is 30 dollars ( they do have dates open ) not sure if the library does or not .
CarlJ2
(Texas)

10/27/2017 7:02 AM  
You could see if a local restaurant would work too. I'd check schools first though.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/27/2017 7:34 AM  
Lori,

I expect that your Association is incorporated as a nonprofit (most are but check to be sure).

Because our Association is nonprofit, we are able to use the rooms for free.
Make sure you ask that question.

Keep in mind that the MC/Board may be lazy, hence the reason for holding it outside, OR it may be strategic hoping people won't show due to the cold.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/27/2017 7:52 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 10/27/2017 7:34 AM
Lori,

I expect that your Association is incorporated as a nonprofit (most are but check to be sure).

Because our Association is nonprofit, we are able to use the rooms for free.
Make sure you ask that question.

Keep in mind that the MC/Board may be lazy, hence the reason for holding it outside, OR it may be strategic hoping people won't show due to the cold.

Yeah I am starting to think they are insisting on outside because how many people want to stand outside in the dark to have a meeting . I do not want to catch a cold ,plus at night its dark by 6 pm .

I don't think this is right .They tell us no one will come that far ( its not that far ) Especially if you do it early am on Saturday .That would be plenty of time to do whatever you want the rest of the day .

I am not sure how to sort of test the inside vs outside theory.I say inside because its gonna be mid November
FredS7
(Arizona)

10/27/2017 8:50 AM  
Paying for an off-site meeting room is a legitimate use of HOA funds. There are a considerable number of possibilities most places.

Having a meeting outdoors is not the worst idea. Meetings are not often improved by being long.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/28/2017 10:30 AM  
Well I am trying to figure out how to get people interested in making an appearance at the meeting .
The meeting was suppose to be this month but its not going to happen ,I asked about next month and that is also a no .
Which leaves December in which there is absolutley no way to have one outside .

On another forum I have made some polls and asked some questions .Got a little but of response ,browsed and read tons of info online ,just scratching my head trying to find a way to get communications going .

If it was not for this place I would have given up .
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/28/2017 12:14 PM  
Apparently, cutting down trees can get people to meetings
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/28/2017 12:23 PM  
Hmm now we did have trees being cut down but it has not sparked an interest in coming to the meeting .
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/28/2017 12:31 PM  
LOL
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/28/2017 12:36 PM  
Spread the word a dues increase will be discussed. People will show up.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/28/2017 1:45 PM  
We use a classroom in the church school right next to our subdivision. Several residents attend that church and they arrange it. The church does't charge, but since we budget for annual meeting room, we make a donation. We've also used a community room at a YMCA less than a mile from us, but did pay a small fee for that.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/28/2017 3:49 PM  
Last Annual Meeting we used a free room at the local library. Do include a PA system as most are old and cannot hear wel. Myself included....LOL
JanetB2
(Colorado)

10/28/2017 7:08 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/28/2017 12:36 PM

LOL ... that one does tend to light a fire in many owners britches. Of course if you explain very well with backup why needs to be increased, usually can get majority to agree.

JanetB2
(Colorado)

10/28/2017 7:11 PM  
Lori ... We use the local Community Recreation Center which rents rooms. I know a few other HOA's who in past have used the local hospital who also had some meeting rooms. You also can try nearby Hotels which also generally have meeting rooms for rent.
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

10/28/2017 7:33 PM  
We have them outside. On site seems to draw better crowds. Over the years I have belonged to Associations that used back room of bar, Knights of Columbus Hall, someone's garage, restaurant banquet room, and many others.

If it gets a little chilly serve coffee and hot chocolate.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/29/2017 7:46 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 10/28/2017 7:08 PM

LOL ... that one does tend to light a fire in many owners britches. Of course if you explain very well with backup why needs to be increased, usually can get majority to agree.

I am saying just put it on the agenda and then come time for it, withdraw it. At least the people will be there..........LOL
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/29/2017 11:08 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/29/2017 7:46 AM

I am saying just put it on the agenda and then come time for it, withdraw it. At least the people will be there..........LOL

Come to think of it ,I have heard that rumor but did not if it was true or not .Of course I am of the opinion why give them a raise when a new company would do better work than the current one ..
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/29/2017 2:13 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 10/29/2017 11:08 AM
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/29/2017 7:46 AM

Come to think of it ,I have heard that rumor but did not if it was true or not .Of course I am of the opinion why give them a raise when a new company would do better work than the current one ..

Lori

You see to jump to conclusions. A dues increase does not automatically mean a raise for a MC.
GuyM1
(Ohio)

10/29/2017 4:37 PM  
Hi...Have you tried Hotels, party centers or maybe one of these American Legion, VFW's, Elk's clubs in your area.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/29/2017 9:56 PM  
Have a raffle with cash prizes open to those who attend or give you their proxy. There was a 2008 case in Florida where someone did that and got over 80 people to attend or give proxies. Those proxies were enough to completely change the outcome of the board election. The board appealed to the state DBPR claiming it was an "illegal lottery", or perhaps "bribery". The DBPR noted it had no jurisdiction over Florida bribery or gambling statutes and in the absence of any ruling to the contrary, the proxies were all valid.

Or maybe just serve cake and coffee.
CarlJ2
(Texas)

10/30/2017 6:57 AM  
I think the bottom line is that there are plenty of low cost to no cost community centers and/or businesses that would serve the purpose just fine. Just need to take a look.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/30/2017 7:19 AM  
The only problem I am really encountering is that the current pmc and the hoa president and vice president are pretty much saying that we have to do it outside or no one will come .

The secretary cannot be outside in cold weather do to health reasons .I prefer not to be outside either as if its windy how do you write things and keep papers from blowing around .

Another thing is the outside people say if you hold it off site no one will come .

I am on a neighborhood forum running a question post and a poll post .Granted not many have answered but those who did all favor inside and they are preferring a weekend .

Where as the outside people want it to be on a week day .

So I am trying to figure out a place not so far away which is not to costly .( checked out a close school no openings or so I have been told don't know this for 100% but one on the hoa staff works at the school so I would guess the info is correct .

I have inquired at the library but you have to have 4 dates listed and I don't know if would work because we need a set date to send out the letters and not under 15 days notice .

I have checked a church but at 300 an hour that is a bit high .
I have checked park and rec they have a room dates are some what open for weekends at 30 dollars an hour

Bad thing is since I don't have a set date or even a date or second option not sure what else I can do

Now they do have some gift cards they are going to raffle off to those who show up

I know with my one post the big thing they ask is there an agenda and what else is going to happen .I sent those questions to the hoa secretary to answer .

Do you all have set time and dates ?
PaininyourA
(South Carolina)

10/30/2017 7:23 AM  
yes - the second Monday in November is actually in our CCRs for the annual meeting - time is set by the BOD
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/30/2017 7:25 AM  
Posted By PaininyourA on 10/30/2017 7:23 AM
yes - the second Monday in November is actually in our CCRs for the annual meeting - time is set by the BOD

Thanks for answering ours is not set in stone
like that
CarlJ2
(Texas)

10/30/2017 7:33 AM  
So the HOA can't field the 30/hour for the Parks n' Rec building over the weekend? That sounds like a reasonable cost to me.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/30/2017 7:40 AM  
Posted By CarlJ2 on 10/30/2017 7:33 AM
So the HOA can't field the 30/hour for the Parks n' Rec building over the weekend? That sounds like a reasonable cost to me.

Yes I think they can ,and they have dates open .Its just that the pmc and president and v president are trying to make a claim of if we have it off site no one will come .

I am trying to gain support to get people to come but it sure is hard when we have no date ,time or place set yet .Its also upsetting we had a letter sent out first of October about the meeting ,and details to follow .
Someone finally asked if he missed it .I told him no and we would let him know .

Pretty pathetic that we had all October and still we have nothing set up .I sent info to the secretary and she said she also had some suggestions .Its just seems we are being held hostage to those 3 ,who know I am highly suspicious that they are trying to pull something so elections are not held so they keep their spots .( of which they do nothing )
CjC
(Maryland)

10/30/2017 10:27 AM  
We rent the local fire hall.
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

10/30/2017 11:12 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 10/29/2017 9:56 PM
Have a raffle with cash prizes open to those who attend or give you their proxy. There was a 2008 case in Florida where someone did that and got over 80 people to attend or give proxies. Those proxies were enough to completely change the outcome of the board election. The board appealed to the state DBPR claiming it was an "illegal lottery", or perhaps "bribery". The DBPR noted it had no jurisdiction over Florida bribery or gambling statutes and in the absence of any ruling to the contrary, the proxies were all valid.

Or maybe just serve cake and coffee.

We use to give a door prize at Board meetings. It added a few people. No problem with attendance at Annual Meeting.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/30/2017 12:50 PM  
Thank you all for your help I am hoping soon to have this resolved
JanetB2
(Colorado)

10/30/2017 10:31 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 10/30/2017 7:40 AM

Yes I think they can ,and they have dates open .Its just that the pmc and president and v president are trying to make a claim of if we have it off site no one will come .

LOL ... That is complete BS ... many of us have meetings off site with great results. You just need to try to make sure is somewhat close to your subdivision.

LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/31/2017 5:40 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 10/30/2017 10:31 PM
Posted By LoriF3 on 10/30/2017 7:40 AM

LOL ... That is complete BS ... many of us have meetings off site with great results. You just need to try to make sure is somewhat close to your subdivision.

I agree with you ,I am trying now to look into what happens when you are suppose to have an annual meeting but you don't .

Like I mentioned I am running a poll /post on a neighborhood forum and those that have responded want it to be on a weekend and in the morning .( I myself am favoring it because that was its over and done and if you have other things to do ,you don't have to think oh what time is it .
One person is still favoring evenings but the others are like with school and dinner and all those things and not getting home till near 7 .I Think it should be on a Saturday early like before 10 and be done .

The longer they wait to get a date the harder its going to get with the holidays approaching
As it is there are only about 4 Saturday we could even try for .because of having to mail out notices ( which is so old fashioned I get why they were in there in the start but now you would think there would be quicker ways to get the notice out with email or text .
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/31/2017 11:52 AM  
Lori

The only legal to notify all owners is via US Mail. File that tidbit away and we do not need you starting another posting about it. It is what it is.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/31/2017 12:00 PM  
No I was not going to make a new post about how bad the mail system is .

I just was saying that way of doing it is very old fashioned and takes a long time .

Its all most November and the letters saying we would have a meeting came 1st part of October .
Now we are running into problems because no one can get a date set .

I took a poll of those who wanted to put feedback of when it would be a good day to have it .The majority said weekend and am is best ,since we have to wait till the pmc sends out letters .

That basically makes it December because he has to mail it out and you have to get it and then people if they aren't coming have to send things back .
So now we are in December and that does not give us many Saturday's as we do have Christmas and New Years .

So many things we need to get changed but I am thinking its not gonna happen this year .
BillH10
(Texas)

10/31/2017 2:10 PM  
LoriF3

US Mail may take longer, true. However, there is nothing to prevent you or anyone else from sending a "Save the Date" notice by e-mail or text then follow it up by mailing the official notice during the window of time described in your documents.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

10/31/2017 2:51 PM  
The best way to get people involved is to put on the agenda that there will be a vote to change part of the CC&R's to something ridiculous. Like "No cars parked in driveways over night", Or "All front doors must have welcome wreaths hanging on them". You'll get people to show up to vote against those for sure.

(I hope my members aren't reading this......)

BancsS
(Iowa)

10/31/2017 4:08 PM  
I think an outside meeting held in November after dark will discourage attendance not encourage if. Your PM sounds like a piece of work. I would try to contact the HOA that had them as their PM and then got rid of them. Ask them how they did it. From all of your psts, the PM seems to be the first problem to deal with. A good PM may be able to guide you with the rest of your issues.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/31/2017 4:28 PM  
Posted By BancsS on 10/31/2017 4:08 PM
I think an outside meeting held in November after dark will discourage attendance not encourage if. Your PM sounds like a piece of work. I would try to contact the HOA that had them as their PM and then got rid of them. Ask them how they did it. From all of your psts, the PM seems to be the first problem to deal with. A good PM may be able to guide you with the rest of your issues.

I expect her PM is doing as the BOD wants, be it right or wrong.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/31/2017 4:37 PM  

You are right the company is not good . I have been in contact with the only one on the HOA which will actually answer you .I was told that she wants indoors ( a reason I made a post on the neighborhood asking those what they thought in order to garner which would gain the most attendance ) the people who replied all answered indoors .
Now the pmc and president and v president of our hoa are all for outdoors vs the one who wants indoors .

The other part of our subdivision got rid of this pmc by giving them a 30 day notice .The secretary of our hoa knows this and I have also mentioned this to the interim president of the hoa .I even gave some copies of another pmc which is a lot better place in my own opinion .

I agree we do need a new pmc
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/31/2017 4:38 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/31/2017 4:28 PM

Not really the secretary has been trying to get a meeting but they are dragging their feet .
BancsS
(Iowa)

10/31/2017 4:42 PM  

I get the impression from all of Lori's posts that there isn't much of a board and that the PM calls the shots.

It sounds to me like the PM is pretty inept. A PM scheduling a meeting after dark in November is obviously not doing their job. There has to be an option for an indoor meeting place. Many posters have made some good suggestions.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

10/31/2017 4:51 PM  
Posted By BancsS on 10/31/2017 4:42 PM

I get the impression from all of Lori's posts that there isn't much of a board and that the PM calls the shots.

It sounds to me like the PM is pretty inept. A PM scheduling a meeting after dark in November is obviously not doing their job. There has to be an option for an indoor meeting place. Many posters have made some good suggestions.

Yes there are some options the only problem is the pmc and the other 2 from the hoa .I am also trying to see if we can hold a meeting on our own or force them to pick a date .

They sent out a letter 1st part of October about the annual meeting now here its the end of the month and nothing is planned.There was a date mentioned but where they wanted was not open ,so they just sat on it .I called on a place they have an opening but since no one got back to me I don't know we can use that place now .
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/02/2017 8:16 PM  
Posted By LoriF3 on 10/31/2017 12:00 PM
No I was not going to make a new post about how bad the mail system is .

I just was saying that way of doing it is very old fashioned and takes a long time . ... what you contend as old fashioned allowed me everytime our past corrupt developer violated to nail their tail end to the wall when violating these type State Laws ... LOL. Especially when engaging in underhanded activities. In underhanded activities such items do have their useful purpose.

Its all most November and the letters saying we would have a meeting came 1st part of October .
Now we are running into problems because no one can get a date set .

I took a poll of those who wanted to put feedback of when it would be a good day to have it .The majority said weekend and am is best ,since we have to wait till the pmc sends out letters .

That basically makes it December because he has to mail it out and you have to get it and then people if they aren't coming have to send things back .
So now we are in December and that does not give us many Saturday's as we do have Christmas and New Years .

So many things we need to get changed but I am thinking its not gonna happen this year .

You will NEVER have any date or time to please most everyone. You just need to set a Date and Time ... and if ownes cannot attend they have the option of completing a Proxy or (if your docs or state allow ... mail in ballots) regarding their choices. I recommend not continually postponing and just move forward with the options.
LoriF3
(North Carolina)

11/03/2017 4:47 AM  
Oh if it was up to the meeting would either be done by now or planned by now .I do not know what the hold up is ,I called a place to see and they told me what day and time they had open .I relayed the info to the hoa secretary she told me she told the others .
Yet nothing has come of it .

I think they are being pretty awful about this whole thing ,like they want to make it near to impossible for many to attend ,I think they think people will just go along with them being in charge .

They have not doing anything other than put up a sign ( which unless you are walking near it you cannot read from the car ) they also say they pick a home and that home gets some kind of gift card for having a nice lawn .I asked who had won such cards and guess what no one knows who wins this .
They also placed some pet waste stations up .

Yet so many more important things just do not get addressed .

The pmc and president and v president of the hoa are not reachable and if you do dare question them the vp shoots off his mouth at you .The president listens but does not say anything .

I just cannot figure out how to get others on board with me to make some needed changes .
JanetB2
(Colorado)

11/04/2017 7:03 PM  
Lori ... At some point in time if the majority of the MEMBERSHIP as a Majority calls a meeting ... guess what ... in many states as long as you follow your State Laws and governing documents that meeting is valid. You can only put up with BS for a period of time ... after that the owner's need to take control.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement